Hey, so my friend seems to think Trivium is 'okay' while he is under the impression that The Human Abstract/ All Shall Perish is like God-send....any songs you can suggest by Trivium to sway his opinion (if it helps, he strongly believes Mea Culpa is the greatest guitar solo ever and he is a bit obsessed with sweeping...idk why) Thanks in advance.
If you have a 7 string, learn the entire Shogun album.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I suggest The Crusade from album of the same name. Or Suffocating Sight from Ascendancy. I personally love the riff from Suffocating Sight and the outro riff from The Crusade is also pretty killer. Enjoy!
I suggest letting him have his opinion. If there are things people can truly "have," it is a short list. Among them is an opinion and time.

You can show him all the Trivium you want but he is entitled to think other bands are god sends. I think Umphrey's McGee is a god send but the only time I'll show them off is if someone doesn't know technical capacity exists outside metal in a rock format.
Quote by kylewieldsax
I suggest The Crusade from album of the same name. Or Suffocating Sight from Ascendancy. I personally love the riff from Suffocating Sight and the outro riff from The Crusade is also pretty killer. Enjoy!

This x1007.
Definitely show the entire shogun album.

But like someone's already said he is entitled to his own opinion
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Quote by tanman
I suggest letting him have his opinion. If there are things people can truly "have," it is a short list. Among them is an opinion and time.

You can show him all the Trivium you want but he is entitled to think other bands are god sends. I think Umphrey's McGee is a god send but the only time I'll show them off is if someone doesn't know technical capacity exists outside metal in a rock format.

I'd second this, man. I used to play in a band that did Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera covers(my favorite bands at the time were Megadeth, Pantera and Led Zeppelin) with a lead guitarist who obsessed over Bullet For My Valentine and Children of Bodom, and I ended up leaving the band because he wouldn't shut up and let me have my opinion, and still, after hearing just about everything BFMV put out, I think they're a bunch of rampant pussies who are everything wrong with the "metal" scene today, and I don't find much I like about Bodom either. But, again, that's my opinion, I'm not saying it's true and I'm one of two people I know who doesn't like Laiho, the other one doesn't really like heavy stuff. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Exactly, from his point, if it isn't ridiculously difficult it sucks. And although i realize he is entitled to his opinion Trivium isn't some petty band
Quote by Enix165
I'd second this, man. I used to play in a band that did Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera covers(my favorite bands at the time were Megadeth, Pantera and Led Zeppelin) with a lead guitarist who obsessed over Bullet For My Valentine and Children of Bodom, and I ended up leaving the band because he wouldn't shut up and let me have my opinion, and still, after hearing just about everything BFMV put out, I think they're a bunch of rampant pussies who are everything wrong with the "metal" scene today, and I don't find much I like about Bodom either. But, again, that's my opinion, I'm not saying it's true and I'm one of two people I know who doesn't like Laiho, the other one doesn't really like heavy stuff. xD

I had the exact same listen to me, except instead of him going on about the bands he loved, he would just rain hatred on the bands I love. My favourite band for a long time has been Megadeth, but he doesnt like them, but I respect that. He likes Slayer, and I once told him Kerry King used to play in Megadeth and he was like 'no he didnt' as if I ws being dumb, and I replied 'yeah, but only for a small time', and he got seriously agressive, right up in my face. It was the biggest over reaction ever and really sticks in my memory.

He was also a bit like 'if its easy than its bad'. Once he was recording a backing rhythm for me to solo over, which was just simple power chords, and he got bored and started changing the rhythm all freestyle, which really did fit where I was going with the song, or the song.

He was also obsessed with learning to sweep pick, even though he only played rhythm and had no interest in playing lead. But I suppose if he enjoys it then he isnt doing any thing wrong.

But dont take it to heart of your friend doesnt like trivium TS.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Apr 25, 2011,
I can't imagine why it would matter whether or not your friend likes your bands.

Some of my friends dont like the Faceless but it doesn't bother me.
Quote by jkielq91
I had the exact same listen to me, except instead of him going on about the bands he loved, he would just rain hatred on the bands I love. My favourite band for a long time has been Megadeth, but he doesnt like them, but I respect that. He likes Slayer, and I once told him Kerry King used to play in Megadeth and he was like 'no he didnt' as if I ws being dumb, and I replied 'yeah, but only for a small time', and he got seriously agressive, right up in my face. It was the biggest over reaction ever and really sticks in my memory.

He was also a bit like 'if its easy than its bad'. Once he was recording a backing rhythm for me to solo over, which was just simple power chords, and he got bored and started changing the rhythm all freestyle, which really did fit where I was going with the song, or the song.

He was also obsessed with learning to sweep pick, even though he only played rhythm and had no interest in playing lead. But I suppose if he enjoys it then he isnt doing any thing wrong.

But dont take it to heart of your friend doesnt like trivium TS.

Hate to make a quote wall and go off topic, but I liked Slayer's first album when I was in the band(they're one of my favorite bands) and he'd continually call them pussies. And he wouldn't let me solo because my guitar had 22 frets and his had 24(to quote him, "IT'S OBVIOUSLY NOT MEANT TO BE A RHYTHM GUITAR, IT HAS MORE FRETS AND I'M OBVIOUSLY A BETTER PLAYER"). He also laughed at me when I used the term arpeggios. This was all in my first year of playing, and he had 5 years of theory training, so I generally stuck to what he said, but...for playing we were still on par, which I find sorta hilarious. And my school thinks he's a guitar hero now because he played A7X at the talent show with some scene kids. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
Hate to make a quote wall and go off topic, but I liked Slayer's first album when I was in the band(they're one of my favorite bands) and he'd continually call them pussies. And he wouldn't let me solo because my guitar had 22 frets and his had 24(to quote him, "IT'S OBVIOUSLY NOT MEANT TO BE A RHYTHM GUITAR, IT HAS MORE FRETS AND I'M OBVIOUSLY A BETTER PLAYER"). He also laughed at me when I used the term arpeggios. This was all in my first year of playing, and he had 5 years of theory training, so I generally stuck to what he said, but...for playing we were still on par, which I find sorta hilarious. And my school thinks he's a guitar hero now because he played A7X at the talent show with some scene kids. xD

i lawld at last part, thats 98% of the teenage population who plays guitar its real sad but yea on topic just show hims tuff like torn by scylla if u want to persuade him for some odd reason lol i love BFMV while other guy up there despises them XD its all opinion long as people arent a d*** about it it shouldnt matter
Quote by kylewieldsax

i agree 100% that or rain. theyre both pretty rediculous.