Are you supposed to finger pick with your nails or the skin of your fingers? My finger picking is quite remedial and needs improvement. Any suggestions?
I mainly use my skin but i have seen plenty of others who have long fingernails and sound good too. Have you tried implimenting banjo pick 'n' roll type stuff?
Quote by OG99Z
I mainly use my skin but i have seen plenty of others who have long fingernails and sound good too. Have you tried implimenting banjo pick 'n' roll type stuff?

No basically from listening to John Prine songs I have learned this technique where I am alternating between bass strings with my thumb and just hitting the top 3 with my index. I have found a couple vids on youtube I have been watching to learn patterns about thats about it. I wil see if I can find a lesson for that technique.
The majority of classical guitarists use both in one smooth motion. Steel-string players do whatever they want for the most part. Flesh, nail, or fingerpick are all fine.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I suspect your nails adapt over time. I have crappy nails, used to break one every couple months, but after a year or so they stopped breaking aside from me accidentally damaging them doing something else. Might just be lucky the past few years though.
Quote by Nightfyre
I suspect your nails adapt over time. I have crappy nails, used to break one every couple months, but after a year or so they stopped breaking aside from me accidentally damaging them doing something else. Might just be lucky the past few years though.

I don't think so, even John Butler says that his nails get completely destroyed by fingerpicking so he uses fake nails.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I follow the technique used by classical players; just enough nail to break across the string as I pick or pluck each string. A combination of flesh and nail. This works well for me; I don't break or shred nails and I get a good tone.
If the nails are much longer than this, they are subject to damage.
Nails differ a great deal. Some folks have thin, easily-cracked nails and some have very thick durable nails.
Folks with the fragile ones do best to use some sort of aid; fingerpicks, glue-on nails, glued-on slices of ping-pong ball....Whatever.

I guess that's possible - just as likely you changed your diet or just have much better technique now. I used to destroy picks and break my low E every couple of months - and it hasn't happened in years because I just use less pick to go through the string.
Quote by Freepower
I guess that's possible - just as likely you changed your diet or just have much better technique now. I used to destroy picks and break my low E every couple of months - and it hasn't happened in years because I just use less pick to go through the string.

That's a rather forceful picking technique You're probably right.
Quote by Bikewer
I follow the technique used by classical players; just enough nail to break across the string as I pick or pluck each string. A combination of flesh and nail. This works well for me; I don't break or shred nails and I get a good tone.
If the nails are much longer than this, they are subject to damage.
Nails differ a great deal. Some folks have thin, easily-cracked nails and some have very thick durable nails.
Folks with the fragile ones do best to use some sort of aid; fingerpicks, glue-on nails, glued-on slices of ping-pong ball....Whatever.

Good to know man appreciate it. Does anyone play with those thumb or finger picks like banjo players use?
Picks were simply the way you played back when I started out; nearly everyone used them.

The reason was volume. Back then, in the 70s, there were lots of "folkie" clubs which would typically have a house sound system with one microphone. Nobody (no acoustic players, anyway) lugged an amp around, and there weren't any good on-board pickups anyway.
So, you used picks, played as loud as you could, and held the guitar up to the mic when you wanted to play hot licks.
Lots of people still use them and there are a wide variety to choose from. They're relatively cheap, worth a try if you have fragile nails.
I have used the "ProPick" models with the cutaway finger-pad section; they are not bad.
If you have nylon strings then grow your nails and use them - you'll get great tone and projection, steel strings use the flesh on your fingers.