Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for about 10 months. As a beginner I got roped into buying a spider line 6 IV 15. I've put up with it for long enough, I hate it a lot. I'm heading off to university in the fall and looking to buy a new amp and guitar.

I play mostly death metal and melodeath I.E Quo vadis, dark tranquility, wintersun, ensiferum, wolfchant, neuraxis, in flames etc... However I also enjoy playing thrash (mostly the Big 4) and classic rock.

As far as the amp goes, my price range is $300-$400. I don't really know much about equipment. I'm looking for something that gives a nice distortion sound for the range of metal I like to play. IDK whether that means getting an amp + distortion pedal, or an amp that has distortion built in or w/e. It would preferrably be good for playing at low volumes in a dorm room but able to handle gigs decently as well.

As far as guitars go my price range is $600-$900 dollars. I am currently leaning towards an Ibanez XPT700, a Jackson KE3 Kelly or basically a higher end Jackson Dinky than what I have now. Of course I'd like something that's suited towards producing a shred/metal sound.

Thanks in advance for any help and if there's any extra information you need to help me out just let me know and I will be more than willing to oblige.

FYI I know I already posted this in the metal thread, I just feel like I'll get more exposure making my own thread.
buy a better amp, not a guitar...thats your problem...the amp with effect tone more than the guitar will

for guitar:
Ibanez S570DXQm - 650$
ESP LTD FX-360 (BADASS guitar) - 550-650$
Jackson Rhoades - something around 700$ i think

amp...ahh...hmm... DEFINITELY look for used stuff...you miiiight be able to get a Peavey 6505 combo used for that much...but its very doubtful...maybe something like a Valveking? or something like that...

-Jet City 20 head/cab with a distortion pedal or something of that nature

hope i helped somewhat, but if your wanting to spend more on the guitar than the amp, your not going to get that intense metal tone that you would get from say, Anthrax, Slayer or Metallica....

personally as i said before...bump up the amp budget to about 600-900 and degrade the guitar budget to about 400-700...theres plenty of great guitars for that budget
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 25, 2011,
Well after skimming over your post, here is what I think you should do:

Instead of splitting your budget as you have, take a good 6-700 and spend that on an amp. And then you might be very surprised that you'll like your current guitar MUCH more through a new amp.

Amp = 90% of tone, give or take.

Now, if you still don't like your guitar, that's fine. Attempt to sell it, and use that money along with whatever cash you had leftover from your budget and buy a guitar then. I just think that would be a smarter route.

It's typical, but I do believe you'd like the Peavey 6505+ 112.
Alright, seems to me like I need the Peavy 6505+. I'll trust what you guys said and adjust my budget towards getting a better amp over the guitar. I'll also have a look at the guitars mentione. Thank you all very much, you've been very helpful.

P.S the 6505+ has distortion and effects built in, so I don't need a pedal right?
Lol, i see you take advice well...thats a good thing because (no joke) the amp will more than likely make you LOOOOVE your current guitar...

lol trust me, i have a Line 6 Spider 4 15w...went to guitar center and played a Epi Les Paul (just like mine) through a really good top dollar amp... (like Mesa or something like that) and it made me sound amazing...

amps definitely make a difference, more so than the actual guitar

PS- after buying a really good amp, you can go even further in getting your tone by changing pickups out to something that would fit even better (but thats just a recommendations, not always needed tho)
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Alright here, I'll try to give you a quick overview:

the 6505 is an all-tube amp, meaning it uses vacuum tubes in both the pre and power amp sections.

It also has TONS of gain on tap, though the clean channel is whatever to most people.

Effects-wise, no. It does not have built in effects, besides the accutronix reverb.

Solid-state amplifiers & modelers are amps that have built-in effects such as delay, flanger, etc.. You won't find these on the 6505.

EDIT: I just realized half the post i just made was meant for another thread, I mixed the two hope you didn't see any of it before I edited it out.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Alright here, I'll try to give you a quick overview:

the 6505 is an all-tube amp, meaning it uses vacuum tubes in both the pre and power amp sections.

It also has TONS of gain on tap, though the clean channel is whatever to most people.

Effects-wise, no. It does not have built in effects, besides the accutronix reverb.

Solid-state amplifiers & modelers are amps that have built-in effects such as delay, flanger, etc.. You won't find these on the 6505.

Not quite understanding. I have a shitty spider line 6 IV 15. As I understand from your post though, If I buy the 6505+ I'm set as far as distortion goes without pedals or anything?

Sorry if I'm being thick, I don't have much experience as far as this goes. I appreciate your help and patience.

EDIT: nevermind, just saw your edit. lol
DOUBLE EDIT: Still not clear; just to clarify, the 6505 has distortion built in, correct? I.E just a gain knob or something?
Last edited by Arakune at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Arakune
Not quite understanding. I have a shitty spider line 6 IV 15. As I understand from your post though, If I buy the 6505+ I'm set as far as distortion goes without pedals or anything?

Sorry if I'm being thick, I don't have much experience as far as this goes. I appreciate your help and patience.

Yes, you will not need any distortion pedals.

On the other hand, though, most like to put an overdrive pedal in front to "boost" and "tighten" the amp up.

Distortion and overdrive pedals are two different things, mind you.

You don't need to do that, it's just a common thing to do.

When you said effects/pedals, I figured you meant modulation and stuff, etc.. Sorry

When you plug yourself into a 6505, you'll be pretty amazed at how great it sounds when compared to your spider. Your spider is a modeling amp, meaning it is digital and quite literally "Models" other amps so you get their sounds out of a single amp. But, the spider amps don't do it so well.

The 6505 is a tube amp. It'll sound much more "organic" if you will.. More natural. Less digital plastic-y distortion. I'm trying to make it sound as simple as possible.

Hope this helps man.

EDIT: To answer your above question simply: Yes. The 6505 has 2 channels, a rhythm and a lead. The lead is your distortion. The rhythm acts as crunch and clean.
I can compare this to your spider to give you a better understanding.
Your spider has 4: Clean, Crunch, Metal, Insane. right? Just imagine the crunch and clean are a single channel, and the lead channel of the 6505 is your "Metal" and "Insane" but a thousand times better.

AND, disregard the edit up there. I was posting in another thread that involved a Line 6 modeling pedal and for some reason my brain mixed your thread and his thread together.. And out popped a bunch of bullshit.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Yes, you will not need any distortion pedals.

On the other hand, though, most like to put an overdrive pedal in front to "boost" and "tighten" the amp up.

Distortion and overdrive pedals are two different things, mind you.

You don't need to do that, it's just a common thing to do.

When you said effects/pedals, I figured you meant modulation and stuff, etc.. Sorry

When you plug yourself into a 6505, you'll be pretty amazed at how great it sounds when compared to your spider. Your spider is a modeling amp, meaning it is digital and quite literally "Models" other amps so you get their sounds out of a single amp. But, the spider amps don't do it so well.

The 6505 is a tube amp. It'll sound much more "organic" if you will.. More natural. Less digital plastic-y distortion. I'm trying to make it sound as simple as possible.

Hope this helps man.

Alright awesome, makes sense. Thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it
will you have room and respectful neighbours to run a half stack?

stick to the line 6 for practising in private, and buy a decent head to take to rehearsals and gigs
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer