Hi, i recently bought a Marshall Guv'nor Plus pedal, and i'm having some trouble getting a good sound out of it.

What settings do you recommend for it?

I play blues, rock, and heavy metal amongst other things. Any help would be appreciated.

My guitar is an Epiphone SG and my amp is a Line 6 Spider 3 30 watt.
I'm sorry...Spiders don't take too kindly to overdrive and distortion pedals...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
ok, what sorta amp would you recommend thats a good all rounder and is good with overdrive and distortion pedals?
if you want to go cheap and are going to be running pedals, the Peavey Bandit 112 is a good amp and can be found for around $200 used i believe. they have a great clean tone to build off of for adding pedals
Last edited by shecter guy at Apr 25, 2011,
It is solid state. I agree, with the suggestion as far something for cheaps, but what are some general bands or tones you want and how much would you like to spend???
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
yeah, its solid state but it has REALLY nice cleans on it which is why i advise it if you are going to be running pedals. but like he said, budget? any particular bands? location? also, what kind fo SG?
It's an Epiphone G-400, Alnico Classic Magnets, Double Vacuum Waxed, Enamel Wire (just reading the sticker film thing thats on my pickups) , Mahogany body, and it's made in China.

Bands i'd like to possibly emulate would be AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, just classic rock in general really, i'd also like to get a good metal tone, but also I like to play blues (which is why I went for an overdrive pedal because theyre versatile and can give you a blues drive sort of tone but also a good metal one with lots of gain (and a crunch tone for foo fighters and other rock bands)).

I live in the UK and id be willing to spend about 100-300 pounds.
ah. ok. just checking on the SG. the G400 is much better than the G310 haha. id be tempted to say a Marshall class 5. would do the classic rock well and the crunch fo rthe foo fighter. just not sure about how it would do metal, even with a boost. i believe the new ones are supposed to have a lot more features and should be around the top or your price range. that just comes to mind though.
by new ones do you mean the marshall mg(wattage number)dfx? if so does anyone have any experience with these?
Quote by Rob1234
Hi, i recently bought a Marshall Guv'nor Plus pedal, and i'm having some trouble getting a good sound out of it.

What settings do you recommend for it?

I play blues, rock, and heavy metal amongst other things. Any help would be appreciated.

My guitar is an Epiphone SG and my amp is a Line 6 Spider 3 30 watt.

Return the pedal if you bought it from a store. Tell them you were mistaken and actually need a new amp. The Spiders, and modellers in general, do not take pedals well. A good clean channel from a SS amp takes pedals well (Solidstate =/= modelling amp) as well as tube amplifiers (generally, but not all of them).
Id like to keep the pedal to be honest, and just get an amp that would work well with it.

And im also looking to get a new amp anyway not just because of the pedal not working very well on it
Quote by Rob1234
Id like to keep the pedal to be honest, and just get an amp that would work well with it.

And im also looking to get a new amp anyway not just because of the pedal not working very well on it

But if you return the pedal + sell your old amp = more money towards a new amp, that you probably won't even need a fuzz pedal for to get the sound you want. All up to you though, just what I would do in your situation.
no, im not talking about the MGs. stay away from those! there is a Marshall amp called the Class 5 and the new ones they are coming out with to replace the old ones have expanded EQ options i believe.