im sorry to post up another "help me, im a amp noob" thread...but i recently found this amp and i was wondering if it would fit me.

its within budget and seems good:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Tube-Screamer-Series-TSA15H-Amp-Head-and-TSA112C-1x12-Half-Stack?sku=423749

With the foot pedal and possibly a foot switch (a distortion foot switch)

Look at my sig to see my genres. By the way, my Epiphone has Pearly Gates and Custom 5 humbuckers, if that matters...

if you need anymore info, feel free to post down there and i'll try to respond back
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Itd do well for classic rock, and blues, bu for metal, you're gonna want to pick up a pedal, like a suhr riot, or a EH metal muff
Call me Collin!
Currently looking to trade for
blues driver
line 6 DL4
Pigtronix polysaturator
MXR ten band eq
What I have to trade
BOSS ME-20
Digitech DSP 128+ (rackmount)
DBX project 1 compressor/limiter (rackmount)
boss sd-1 modded
awesome opossum lol...what exactly would be a good metal pedal? (im on a roll with these rhymes)

EDIT: I've heard the Metal Muff from Electro-harmonix (i think its from electro harmonix) is a good pedal for insane OD
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
What kind o metal are we talking? And what kind of budget do you have for a pedal?

EDIT: Actually, **** your budget. Dominator or a Seventheaven. Everything else is unacceptable.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Apr 25, 2011,
I personally think from the bands you've listed that would be a pretty good amp. The built in distortion should get you the blues/rock tones you want (if set properly) and if the only metal is Metallica it could be sufficient. If you find your distortion isn't good enough maybe a bass Metal Zone or Metal core. They are cheap pedals that should be good for heavier songs.

But when it doubt try this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-IV-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=620210

Its about the same volume and you can get the presets for all the bands you like. Hope this helps.
HAHAHAHA...i'll look those up
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
OH, i also have a Digitech Rp355 which could give any (somewhat) decent echo/reverb effects i needed, because the TSA15 doesnt have either of those
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
gimmicky amp if you ask me. for the same amount you could get a valveking (50 watts but has knob on back of amp that can be adjusted all the way down to a little less than half power). and either a tubescreamer or better yet a digitech tube overdrive. the digitech can get regular TSer sounds and flip on the mod switch and it ups the gain. has a better EQ as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
gimmicky amp if you ask me. for the same amount you could get a valveking (50 watts but has knob on back of amp that can be adjusted all the way down to a little less than half power).

If you're talking about the Texture knob, it really doesn't work like that. Rolling the amp over to A instead of AB mode doesn't take out nearly that much power in my experience; it simply just warms up your tone at the cost of a little volume. As far as I've gleaned it's little more than a gimmick and you're stuck at 50 or so watts regardless of where your Texture control is at.

That in mind, TS would do well to look into a VK anyway.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Apr 25, 2011,
There's certainly other amps you should also be looking at. Can't really say much about that amp in particular but, if all the preamp distortion hinges on the TS circuit, there's no way it'll do metal. As others mentioned you'd need a pedal for that, which is definitely not ideal for metal but with something like an OKKO Dominator you'll get there, but that's about the same price as the amp alone.

Personally I'd look into:

-Egnater Tweaker or Rebel (have to be used)
-Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 (used, or one of the SS models)
-Jet City JCA 20
-Peavey Windsor Studio
-Blackstar HT-20/5
-Peavey Valveking

Some of these might not be able to pull off your metal tone depending what era Metallica your after.
JCA20 + Dominator/Seventheaven. Just do it. It will make your dick bigger.

You're welcome.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Apr 25, 2011,
as shabadoo metioned if youre picking up this amp( i wouldnt do that) youll need a dist. pedal for teh br00tz ( okko dominator all the way) sadly the domiator is 200€ and adding that to the price of the amp youll end up "costier" than you would with a JSX/333xl (in my oppinion the most versatile "metal-based" amp)
Theres also the the blackstar ht distx, and I almost forgot about the mxr fullbore metal, BEST ONE I'VE TRIED! All the people that write crap reviews on it just haven't had one on one time tweaking the pedal! I'd recommend it over an other heavy distortion, When i play wetal, I play everything from metalllica, to a7x and between the buried and me, def try it out!
Call me Collin!
Currently looking to trade for
blues driver
line 6 DL4
Pigtronix polysaturator
MXR ten band eq
What I have to trade
BOSS ME-20
Digitech DSP 128+ (rackmount)
DBX project 1 compressor/limiter (rackmount)
boss sd-1 modded
secxy but...

it sounds decent for blues and rock, classic rock.

look at it this way. the pedal it's based on costs almost as much as the amp's head.

the handwired pedal costs more than the head.

jet city 20 watt single channel or the 2 channel amp coming out soon.

or the tweaker.

or if you are willing to look used there are a lot of options at that price.

a used Peavey Classic 30, would be around $300-350 used.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Shabadoo
There's certainly other amps you should also be looking at. Can't really say much about that amp in particular but, if all the preamp distortion hinges on the TS circuit, there's no way it'll do metal. As others mentioned you'd need a pedal for that, which is definitely not ideal for metal but with something like an OKKO Dominator you'll get there, but that's about the same price as the amp alone.

Personally I'd look into:

-Egnater Tweaker or Rebel (have to be used)
-Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 (used, or one of the SS models)
-Jet City JCA 20
-Peavey Windsor Studio
-Blackstar HT-20/5
-Peavey Valveking

Some of these might not be able to pull off your metal tone depending what era Metallica your after.

Well, i have a budget of around 1000$ (but around 150$ is going into new pups for my guitar). I've heard extremely good things from the Egnater Tweaker 15w head and the Jet City 20. I posted up a thread called "MASSIVE Tube Amp thread" or soemthing like that, and it has a list of probably 13 different amps i've been researching into for the past 3 months...take a look at it, it actually took a bit of time to make lol
Quote by gregs1020
secxy but...

it sounds decent for blues and rock, classic rock.

look at it this way. the pedal it's based on costs almost as much as the amp's head.

the handwired pedal costs more than the head.

jet city 20 watt single channel or the 2 channel amp coming out soon.
or the tweaker.

or if you are willing to look used there are a lot of options at that price.

a used Peavey Classic 30, would be around $300-350 used.

ya on a different thread i had mentioned that...do you know exactly when it comes out?
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
ya on a different thread i had mentioned that...do you know exactly when it comes out?

no idea.

/threadjack.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Soon enough. I'd also look into the Carvin v3M - that should be coming out within a few months.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's out now. BUY IT.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.