Page 1 of 3
I have a couple questions. Please tell me what you would do for each. I know that the gender of the child doesn't really matter, but what are you going to do about it?

1. Imagine you are a parent in the year 2006. Your son is into "emo" and "metal" music. (Quotes to make you generalize and avoid genre specific arguments). You don't like it at all. And your son wants to dye his hair black and get his ears and lip pierced. You notice that all of his friends are dressed similarly and he probably would be excluded and angry if you didn't let him. What do you do?

2. Think of how you were when you were his age. Would you have supported your lifestyle if your kid was just like you were? What parenting decisions might you have made differently?
12 to 14?

He can listen to what he wants and get his hair cut to an emo style. He can't get the piercing until he's 16 by law, and I'd imagine he can't get his hair dyed without the school saying something.

So he can listen to the music, wear the clothes and have the hairstyle.

I will laugh at his music.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

I'd beat the hell out of him if he tried to get those stupid ear horn piercings or wore little girl jeans
i'd let him get into whatever fucked up shit he wants to. it worked with my parents, and i definitely learn from my fuck-ups. (never been emo bro, dw)
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
1) Sure why not. He'll grow out of it in a year or so when he realises he looks like a bellend.

2) I'd be less hot headed than my father, and take more interest in what he likes to motivate him more in whatever he wants to do.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
1. Imagine you are a parent in the year 2006. Your son is into "emo" and "metal" music. (Quotes to make you generalize and avoid genre specific arguments). You don't like it at all. And your son wants to dye his hair black and get his ears and lip pierced. You notice that all of his friends are dressed similarly and he probably would be excluded and angry if you didn't let him. What do you do?

I would tell him to be a ****ing man and listen to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Metalfag

2. Think of how you were when you were his age. Would you have supported your lifestyle if your kid was just like you were? What parenting decisions might you have made differently?

When I was his age I appreciated the piano works of Elton John
I'd let him/her express themselves however they please but I would also make sure they're still growing up with the necessary values to make intelligent decisions later on in life.

At least from my experience, being told how to dress and how to act by your parents only makes you want to act out more.
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
It's hard to say. I always think that out generation will probably be more laid back parents.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
parents are hypocritical by nature: "do as I say, not as I do". when you become a parent, you'll soon realize that all the shit you got away with is not something you want your kids doing. of course, I would let the kid do what he or she wants within limits. I wouldn't care what they looked like so long as they were safe and somewhat sane.
She's a lesbian and I love her.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I wore baggy jeans and I listened to hip hop. I played outside with my friends and chilled.

I'd smack the shit out of my kid for being a follower.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
1. I would probably answer this with a politically correct answer, one which will gain me approval in The Pit.

2. For this, I think I'll stick to the same gameplan and say what everyone knows the OP is hoping to hear.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
id be that parent that thought itd be cool, and try to go through the transformation with them (dye my hair black, nail polish, new hairstyle etc) hopefully, the kid would be so embarrased by my trying to be "cool" that they'd snap out of it
NOPE
Wtf show him maiden, slayer, bach, metallica, megadeth, black sabbath. real metal music.

if he gets into all that emo crap...its just gonna go downhill from there.
Quote by 2mins2midnite
Wtf show him maiden, slayer, bach, metallica, megadeth, black sabbath. real metal music.

W0opz i dont want you to think that im saying bach is metal.
but just show him true music.
Quote by Nelsean
I wore baggy jeans and I listened to hip hop. I played outside with my friends and chilled.

I'd smack the shit out of my kid.

this persona in OP is clearly rebellious, as soon as he leaves your hold at 18 he'll be a man child listening to emo music until he dies.

unless you never let him leave.
1. I'd let him dye his hair and listen to the music, but that's pretty much the extent of it. While I am speaking from a current point of view, I feel like if he ever got his hair cut in the way I'm imagining it right now I'd never quite be able to keep a straight face. As for piercings, fuck no, you're 12 (to 14)

2. Probably, I never wanted to meld into any particular "scene," which has both its merits and its drawbacks. He's just have to migrate between groups. Basically, if he were a little like Angela from My So-Called Life (sans the occasional being a **** thing), that'd be nice, I suppose.
Quote by 2mins2midnite

Bach is brutal as shit
Kick back in my soundproof study, lock the door, dim the lights, and smoke a pipe while listening to a vast collection of classical records. Completely ignore the little douche.

Last edited by BurningStarlV at Apr 25, 2011,
I would be like 'Son, you'll look like a tosser. Now dress like a normal person and listen to Morbid Angel.'
I'd let him do what he wants, while laughing at him and calling him a fag. ಠ_ಠ

This is for emo music (the bad kind), if my son was into metal (the good kind) then I'd pat him on the back and say I was proud.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
he better be the right kind of rebellious!
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by laid-to-waste
this persona in OP is clearly rebellious, as soon as he leaves your hold at 18 he'll be a man child listening to emo music until he dies.

unless you never let him leave.

He can leave at 12-14. He'll know where his home is when he pussies out.

If it was my daughter I'd be cool with it, and every boy she met would have his picture taken and placed on my "who to kill list", which would be properly displayed infront of my home.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Burgery
I'd let them do what they want, while laughing at him and calling him a fag. ಠ_ಠ

This is for emo music (the bad kind), if my son was into metal (the good kind) then I'd pat him on the back and say I was proud.

Nice oxymoron
ITT: 12-14 year olds talking about molding their future children with "REAL METAL" and keeping them safe from "EMO FAGZ" status.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
I throw a Maiden album at him and tell him to listen to real metal.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Sure, let the kid do whatever he wants. It's not destructive, I won't stop him.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by shredibanez24
I throw a Maiden album at him and tell him to listen to real metal.

your cd cases are metal?
I'd let him do his emo thing because emos are real easy to parent.

I HATE YOU DAD! UUHHH *buy hair dye* thanks dad :3
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by Blayney
12 to 14?

He can listen to what he wants and get his hair cut to an emo style. He can't get the piercing until he's 16 by law, and I'd imagine he can't get his hair dyed without the school saying something.

So he can listen to the music, wear the clothes and have the hairstyle.

I will laugh at his music.

What kinda nazi school do you go to
Quote by laid-to-waste
your cd cases are metal?

Hahah clever.

But no to be honest I'd prob let him listen to whatever he wants. Forget the piercings though.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I used "emo" as a metaphor of a sort. It can be replaced with any stereotype and their "fashions". Be it nerd, metalhead, bro, gangster, or whatever.

Reflect on that how you may, I am reserving my personal opinions.
Quote by .Joker.
What kinda nazi school do you go to

english

I'd calmly tell him he can do whatever he likes, but explain to him that most people will regard him as a complete faggot and that he'll someday look back on his emo phase and cringe so hard his forehead will collapse. Finally, I'd refer him to my record collection, and go back to reading my newspaper.
i'd consult my wife. if she doesn't want to run away with me, i'd do it alone.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by JacobTheMe
Well, since emo = shit, I'd break all his emo records. As long as his "metal" collection didn't include any of that lame "core" shit, we'd be ok.

Quote by JacobTheMe
No. I will never support being a big a dumbass as I was as a kid!
Page 1 of 3