So I finally got my 1st amp after 4 years of playing bass (so sue me, I am poor), Its a Trace Elliot Commando 12, not a bad amp considering I got it for free. since playing around a bit, I realise I want some dirt in my signal, as it is as clean as anything. So I was wondering which pedal would you suggest? I was thinking eiher the Boss ODB-3 or the Hartke Bass Attack. Either that or I have about a £100 GBP limit, if that. I want sort of a 'bass-breakdown-after-solo-of-know-your-enemy' sorta tone.

Cheers guys
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Last edited by deadringer13 at Apr 25, 2011,
I have a Bass Attack... it's a preamp not an overdrive.

If you want dirt I'd look at the Sans Amp (probably out of your price range) or the James LoMenzo Ashdown pedal.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I have a Bass Attack... it's a preamp not an overdrive.

If you want dirt I'd look at the Sans Amp (probably out of your price range) or the James LoMenzo Ashdown pedal.

Sans Amp is a preamp foiled you there haha

Yea, I know, but it can still get some grind from it, surely?
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
I'd suggest probably saving a bit more (not sure the prices over there) and grabbing the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. It's basically an Ampeg SVT in a box.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
A SansAmp Bass D.I.; a Hartke Bass Attack or an Eden WTDI box will fit the bill nicely. They should all fall within your price range.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by deadringer13
Sans Amp is a preamp foiled you there haha

A preamp with a drive function.
Quote by Ziphoblat
A preamp with a drive function.

... Foiled me there haha
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
The Hartke Bass Attack and Sansamp Bass driver are essentially the same pedal, just the Sansamp is a bajillion times better in every way.

You're in the UK so look for a second hand DHA driver of some sort, with a tube of course.
Also the Boss ODB3 is a horrible, horrible pedal.
Quote by Spaz91

Also the Boss ODB3 is a horrible, horrible pedal.

False.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I really like the look of the DHA, may just push my budget up a lil for that baby. Shame I can't find any sound demo's to push me over the edge and get it.
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Quote by Spaz91
The Hartke Bass Attack and Sansamp Bass driver are essentially the same pedal, just the Sansamp is a bajillion times better in every way.

I've got to disagree. I own them both and they are both very, very capable pedals. The Hartke Bass Attack is the most underrated Bass D.I. box I've come across. It is amazing how many great tones you can get out of it. The SansAmp is the industry standard for a reason, though.

Never tried the Boss pedal. One of the meanest bass overdrive sounds I ever got was an Ibanez SRX595 through a Line 6 Uber Metal. It was great for a post-apocalyptic, we're all going to die in agony sort of tone. I've thought of pairing that combination with a graphic EQ pedal to see what can be done with it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I've got to disagree. I own them both and they are both very, very capable pedals. The Hartke Bass Attack is the most underrated Bass D.I. box I've come across. It is amazing how many great tones you can get out of it. The SansAmp is the industry standard for a reason, though.

Never tried the Boss pedal. One of the meanest bass overdrive sounds I ever got was an Ibanez SRX595 through a Line 6 Uber Metal. It was great for a post-apocalyptic, we're all going to die in agony sort of tone. I've thought of pairing that combination with a graphic EQ pedal to see what can be done with it.

If preamp/DI pedals are your thing, the Eden WTDI is worth checking out.

I've been considering getting one for a while, I just can't find one yet (they were only released recently).

I value my mids too much to consider a Sansamp bass driver personally.
I owned the Bass Attack... maybe I was doing it wrong but it didn't have much dirt. Also the construction on mine was shoddy. A few energetic gig stompings later and the tops started to come off the dials.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!