be played acoustically - that is, without an amp?

And by acoustically i mean does it produce the same sound an acoustic will since it's hollow body?
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Louder than an Electric, quieter than a true acoustic, Archtops are louder than non-arch semihollows in my experience.
A semi hollow will not sound like a true acoustic however.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by DartS17
Louder than an Electric, quieter than a true acoustic, Archtops are louder than non-arch semihollows in my experience.
A semi hollow will not sound like a true acoustic however.

QFT

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
A lot of hollowbody electrics were originally designed as acoustics (the Epiphone Emperor and Broadway, for example, or the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, or the famous Gibson L5, or various fine instruments from Bendetto, D'Angelico, and other high-end jazz guitar makers). You'll need to set the guitar up for heavier strings to get the right kind of resonance though, and you'll get a jazzier sound rather than a spikier flat-top sound. But in my experience it sounds pretty cool.

Man, now I want to get an Emperor and stick a Fishman pickup in there...
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at May 3, 2011,
Also, the hardware on a hollowbody will make a sizeable difference. A tune-o-matic with stoptail or trapeze will sound Very different from a standard acoustic bridge. Then there's the fact that most affordable hollowbodies are made of all-laminates. It's all about the weight on the top, preventing it from vibrating freely. This includes pickups, pots and the bridge. Also, electric guitar strings tend to sound brighter than acoustics unless you're talking Very heavy gauge (like 13 and up). I prefer to keep my acoustics for acoustic, and my electrics for electric. However, they Do make straight-acoustic archtops, such as the Gibson L7-C.

RS93