Hey,
I know a lot of people have probably asked this but, what are song good bands that use a 5-string bass/ songs that have a 5-string bass (BEADG)? I'm not really into Korn or music like that, anything from RHCP to Megadeth to The Beatles to Trivium (yeah, I know Paolo uses a 5-string) and I'm no bass prodigy so I can't do any Dream Theatre (that I've tried). Thanks
I suggest Taking songs that are in different tunings (drop d, half/whole step) and transfering them to the 5 string, its what I did to begin with.
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Les claypool (Primus) has done some cool stuff with his five and six strings, try "my name is mud" or something
Elizabeth Skunk <3

I had swine flu and all i got was this lousy signature
try 'mr jack' and 'metro' by system of a down. they are written in drop c.
no sir away a papaya war is on
"Bent" and "Unwell" by Matchbox 20. A lot of post- Zender Jamiroquai, "Canned Heat" and "Don't Give Hate a Chance" spring to mind.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
A lot of Dream Theater can be played on five strings. You really don't need the sixth string. Try Metropolis and The Root of All Evil.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by the_perdestrian
try 'mr jack' and 'metro' by system of a down. they are written in drop c.

Drop C is a 4 string tuning, unless you drop everything down to the next octave.
Quote by 3lusiv3
Drop C is a 4 string tuning, unless you drop everything down to the next octave.

Did you even read the thread?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Did you even read the thread?

Yeah, and you're referencing the second post/first reply? It couldn't hurt, but it's not what I'd do.
Also, OP said he doesn't like stuff like Korn.
I dunno.
Every FFDP song. beadg tuning. the guitarists use six's heavily downtuned to beadf#b. but the bassist just uses a 5.

edit:korn does actually have some interesting basslines/work in thier most recent album kornIII.
Last edited by ethansj1 at Apr 26, 2011,
Sonata Arctica use 5 strings, but you can't really hear the bass in their songs.