Hey guys, I know this is an open, personal, opinionated question, yet I wanna throw it out there just to see what the general consensus is regarding some amp heads!
Basically, I'm the rhythm guitarist in a metal band, and I'm about to spend some serious wedge on a tasty new head!
I'm after a multi channel valve head which is capable of nice cleans as well as monstrously heavy distortion!
Now, here's the thing..... I've done the research and know a fair amount about the amps I'm about to mention and like I say, I realise it's a personal thing but if any of you can throw some light form experience with any if the following heads, I'd appreciate it!

Engl powerball 2
Blackstar series one 104
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Dual rec

From what I've read, the dual Rec seems to be the way to go, especially with the latest revised model but are Mesas really worth the extra cash??

Enlighten me please.......

Cheers
Syz

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
If i had the cash, I'd be playing a dual rec now!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

if you dig the 6505 lead tone go for it, no other amps sounds like a 6505. but youll have to know that the cleans arent THAT great,
if you dig the dual recti lead tone go for it, the cleans sound decent aswell. (id buy the dual rectifier. but it might be a few bucks more)
edit: the term :" lead tone" sucks at this point , knowing that youre playing rythm xDD but youre getting what i mean xD
Last edited by Rash Kah at Apr 25, 2011,
Dual recs can be heard on countless metal records, and have a hell of a lot of gain. More than you'll need, most probably. People often say they have a flabby low end. (Too much bass that gets out of control, and leaves your sound unfocused, sloppy, and unrefined.) Grab a tubescreamer type pedal to tighten that thing up and your good to go with modern metal. I've also heard these things are hard to EQ, but when you can get it right it will sound sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

The 6505 has less than passable cleans, so I've heard. And if you want nice cleans, you don't really want this amp. Very famous for its chugga chuga chugga.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Depends on what kind of metal I guess. The other guitarist in Opeth uses blackstar. I'd love to have a dual rec. I do think how clean they are is a little over exaggerated though.
The Mesa Dual Rec ROADSTER! (Worth the extra cash) (Prolly my favorite amp ever). Hughes and Kettner Tri-amp mkII. Both those are awesome, and have a more traditional sound.

Being a rhythm player myself, I'd have to say the ENGL Powerball II is freaking unbelievable! Though I prefer the darker Mesa sound, The ENGL is just incredible, nice and chunk, huge sound, tons of gain. Really amazing.

If you chose the 6505, go for the EVH 5150 III, it's better sounding.

I was never impressed with blackstar fir the higher price range.

If you can try amps out, try the Mesa Roadster, Engl Powerball II, The EVH 50150 III, and The hughes and Kettner Tri-amp MKII.

If you can't try them, play it safe, get the Roadster.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
if i had to choose another amp besides my current 6534+ for rhythym id either be playing a 2ch dual rec or the newest version dual recs. as much as i love my peavey, it doesnt have that thump dual recs can get.

but if youre checking out the 6505, look into thw 6534 too, similar lead channel, and more usable cleans
Quote by Jaredmkl
The Mesa Dual Rec ROADSTER! (Worth the extra cash) (Prolly my favorite amp ever).

+1 Its the only mesa I've ever tried but it was awesome. 6505 cleans were better than I expected, didn't get a chance to play it loudly though so I can't really comment on how it sounds. I've never liked German voiced amps all that much so the powerball is out for me, despite being a fantastic amp.

Try them out if you can. Its amazing how different amps can sound in person/with your own EQing.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Thanks all for your input, i am obviously swayed by the Mesa, and am now checking out the Roadster....... it certainly seems that the general consensus is they are definitely worth the extra money over the others, and some of my fav tones over the years have been captured with Mesa's!
I'll keep you updated with what i go for, hopefully sooner rather than later!! :-)
one other thing though, upon quick comparison, the new latest revision of the dual rec seems to be a lot close to the roadster in spec than the previous model!
hmmmm.... i'll get back to the research! lol

Chapman ML2 x 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
ha ha... scrap that last comment.....! lol
4 channels over 3, and the back panel has more tweaks etc.....
the Roadster does look a very tempting option.... thanks for the pointers guys!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112