I'm really in the market for a new guitar to replace my cheap epiphone les paul special 2. Im into guys like Mark Tremonti and Stevie Ray Vaughan and i really like the sound of fat, meaty, bassier, crystal clear sound that can let every note be heard and ring out and that doesn't sound very shocky and sharp tone like you would find in many high gain amps like a mesa rectifier, or peavy 5150s, and emg pickups and so on. Im also thinking of getting a Bugera 333xl head and cab with whatever guitar i get. Also, im having a hard time deciding weather to get something cheaper or save up for a long while for something big.

Here Are some of my main specks:
1. Have split coil/coil tap or whatever it's called
2. I like flame maple tops and no plain tops. (Most perferedly a Dark Blue or a Sunburst type finnish).
3. Tremolo (No floyd rose style cause i like to change tunings all the time) I wanna do dive bombs and be able to pull up on the trem. Kindof like mark tremonti and steve vai stuff.
4. be able to easily access all frets (wheather its 22 or 24 frets but most perferably 24)
5. No active humbuckers like emg. (i want passive or PAF type pickups. Althought i don't really know what the sound of a PAF would sound like).
6. Very versital! I do everything from SRV and Hendrix, to 70s stuff like Kiss and Aerosmith, to 80s rock and hair metal, Tool, Creed/Alter Bridge, and even really heavy stuff like All That Remains and Five Finger Death Punch. (Mostly Alter Bridge stuff since they are my favorite band).
7. Under $1000
8. atleast 1 volume and 1 tone
9. Im really into the Les Paul or the PRS Custom 24 Body styles.
YOU are the one who must find THE guitar for YOU.

get out to some shops, play guitars that fit your criteria and buy the one that plays best for you.. nobody will be able to tell you what is "perfect" for you because they simply arent YOU.

ps. a tremolo with no locking nut (in your words.. not a floyd rose..) will get absolutely mangled tuning wise if you dive or pull up on it a few times..

good luck, hope you find the one.
asfar as i know you need a recessed floating trem to heighten the pitch of a string, as you cant "pull up" a tremolo when theres no space for it to move to
Last edited by Rash Kah at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Rash Kah
asfar as i know you need a recessed floating trem to heighten the pitch of a string, as you cant "pull up" a tremolo when theres no space for it to move to

The PRS Mark Tremonti can do dive bombs and pull up and its not a floating bridge
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
YOU are the one who must find THE guitar for YOU.

get out to some shops, play guitars that fit your criteria and buy the one that plays best for you.. nobody will be able to tell you what is "perfect" for you because they simply arent YOU.

ps. a tremolo with no locking nut (in your words.. not a floyd rose..) will get absolutely mangled tuning wise if you dive or pull up on it a few times..

good luck, hope you find the one.

Hey man, it's not like i get to go to the shops at all maybe. I usually get to go like maybe 3 or 4 times a year because im busy at school and i have overprotective parents that don't let me do much and the closest guitar shop is like 30 miles from here (i live in Texas. Everything is soo far over here). So all the things i know about what i want are all researched online. And im trying to get my first job! XD Although it might be the cheezy Mcdonalds in the walmart that my big sis and my mom work at, at least ill make something.
Quote by TheGuitarMark
The PRS Mark Tremonti can do dive bombs and pull up and its not a floating bridge

i dont get how it could... when you pull up a tremolo the whole thing moves towards the body. a non recessed tremolo doesnt have any space for the tremolo to move. conclusion: you cant pull up a non recessed ( havent seen a recessed vintage/non floating trem) tremolo! ( you can raise the pitch, if you pull down the trem BEFORE you pick and then slowly let go of it. but that wont help you heighten the pitch above the original level.)
Last edited by Rash Kah at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by TheGuitarMark
Hey man, it's not like i get to go to the shops at all maybe. I usually get to go like maybe 3 or 4 times a year because im busy at school and i have overprotective parents that don't let me do much and the closest guitar shop is like 30 miles from here (i live in Texas. Everything is soo far over here). So all the things i know about what i want are all researched online. And im trying to get my first job! XD Although it might be the cheezy Mcdonalds in the walmart that my big sis and my mom work at, at least ill make something.

my bad dude, in that case heres a bit of help, strictly going off your list:

PRS SE Torero

its got active pups but you can always swap em out for something else later on.
and yes a floyd rose.. but by the sounds of it you want it without realizing it yet..

just make sure whatever you decide on plays better for you than it looks

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Rash Kah
i dont get how it could... when you pull up a tremolo the whole thing moves towards the body. a non recessed tremolo doesnt have any space for the tremolo to move. conclusion: you cant pull up a non recessed ( havent seen a recessed vintage/non floating trem) tremolo! ( you can raise the pitch, if you pull down the trem BEFORE you pick and then slowly let go of it. but that wont help you heighten the pitch above the original level.)

Woops, i made an error. The PRS Mark Tremonti is recessed but its not like a floyd rose where i have to go through a complicated task to tune the guitar and i like to change tunings all the time.
ok researched some more: it seems that the prs mark tremonti does have an routing for the trem so you can rise the pitch! but thats defenitly not the most common thing!

EDIT: damn.. alll the mistakes i make... i should go to bed 4:00 am is "late nuff" xD
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
my bad dude, in that case heres a bit of help, strictly going off your list:

PRS SE Torero

its got active pups but you can always swap em out for something else later on.
and yes a floyd rose.. but by the sounds of it you want it without realizing it yet..

just make sure whatever you decide on plays better for you than it looks

I like it but it has a floyd and i really like changing tuning a hole lot so i really don't think that guitar would be what i want.
tuning a FR is a pain in the ass.. but after a few times you kinda get used to it (atleast if it is e standard to drop d things more extrem could get annoying) but i dont know if you have to balance the "recessed vintages" aswell which costs a considerable amount of time in the process of tuning :P
3. Tremolo (No floyd rose style cause i like to change tunings all the time) I wanna do dive bombs and be able to pull up on the trem. Kindof like mark tremonti and steve vai stuff.

Is that even possible to have a non floyd rose tremolo?
When i mean change tuning all the time, i mean like id be in standard for an hour and then i'd wanna play in something unholy low like B standard and then an hour later tune it to Drop Dd. And i don't thing i'd be able to change tuning fast enough when im out on stage with a floyd
Fender strat players deluxe will do what you want. Thats the first thing i'd check out.

Otherwise, i'd just change the pickups on the les paul and get a new amp and tweak the eq.

PRS are great guitars, but IMHO they dont sound all that special, i honestly dont see what the hype is about. Build quality and style wise of course, but sound is meh at best. They sound in the middle of the road if the gibson les paul and fender strat on either ends of the spectrum.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by reggaebassman
Fender strat players deluxe will do what you want. Thats the first thing i'd check out.

Otherwise, i'd just change the pickups on the les paul and get a new amp and tweak the eq.

PRS are great guitars, but IMHO they dont sound all that special, i honestly dont see what the hype is about. Build quality and style wise of course, but sound is meh at best. They sound in the middle of the road if the gibson les paul and fender strat on either ends of the spectrum.

I Really want a Prs Custom 24 or a Mark Tremonti But they are way too expencive and the mark tremonti doesn't have split coil.
Im guessing i should wait for a long while and get myself a PRS Custom 24. i don't wanna sound exactly like somebody so i don't care if i don't have the exact SRV tone, just as long as i got a noticeable single coil sound. But i sure do wanna have a tremonti tone but tweeked up to my liking.