Alrighty, I am planning on modding an ESP LTD M103-FM I bought a few years back.
That's this bad boy, if you want to see it: http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/m-103fm.html
Not a high end guitar, I know, but I'm broke, so I want to make do with what I've got. Plus, it really isn't all that bad in my opinion. ;P
Anyways, I've got a few questions I'd LOVE to have answered.
First off, the floyd worked well (not perfectly, but well) in terms of keeping in tune, but some of the pieces are now stripped, so I wanted to replace it and get a fresh start. I've heard good things about the Floyd Rose Special (the ESP LTD site says Floyd Rose Special, but mine just says ESP licensed... not sure if it was just a recent change, or if they're the same thing? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on that..). My main concern is if it would be able to drop right in without any routing. So, does anyone know anything about this? I also plan on replacing the sustain block on the newer trem when I get it, because I've heard this makes a world of difference.

Also, I would like some pickup set suggestions. The guitar has a basswood body and a HSS pickup configuration. I play lots of heavy metal (many different types from older Metallica to a lot of modern metal bands) and love to play lots of leads as well as chunky, heavy rhythm type stuff (I typically use the bridge mostly for the rhythm stuff and any lead part with harmonics, but I like to use the neck for any other leads). However, I would also love some nice clean tones as well, as I enjoy lots of alternative bands such as The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Would it be possible to get a set up to satisfy all of these wants/needs?
Sorry for talking up a storm and thank you if you have read past this point, I honestly want to give you all as good of an idea of what I want as I can. :P

Thank you in advance!
Replace with floyd with a Schaller floyd rose. If it's to big, Just instal it, put sand paper in there with it and just use the tram and sand paper

Pups D-activator x/heavy blues2/ airnorton s. All dimarzio.

EDIT: though I've never used them, all the parts from floyd upgrades seem cool. Get a nice schaler trem from them and a new black if you want, I'd suggest a treml-no and d-tuna also if your playing money and really modding out this guitar.

Also idk if that guitar has coil tap, but if it doesn't, getting a pot that will help you do that, will be handy with those new pups for getting a good rhcp sound.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Apr 25, 2011,
If the tremolo caused tuning issues what was the nut made of? A good graphite nut helps the strings slide. I've also cheated with a drop of 3 in1 oil on each string at the nut. Don't get carried away though. Never liked the look of EMG pickups. They need to paint poles on them. I prefer a good ol' PAF style or hot rails style. What kind of amp do you have? Any pedals?
Quote by SWilson
If the tremolo caused tuning issues what was the nut made of? A good graphite nut helps the strings slide. I've also cheated with a drop of 3 in1 oil on each string at the nut. Don't get carried away though. Never liked the look of EMG pickups. They need to paint poles on them. I prefer a good ol' PAF style or hot rails style. What kind of amp do you have? Any pedals?

Huh?

Bro it's a floyd... He has a locking nut and he should keep it that way if yknow, he wants it work right and everything...
GEAR
I'm not sure what the difference is between a floyd special and a licensed floyd, but if i were you i would go with the original, I have an original on my Hellraiser and I've never had a problem with it, as for pups, if you don't have the room for a battery in your guitar i would get the seymour duncan invader, i got one of those in my jackson and its great, but if you do have room for a battery i would go with the seymour duncan blackouts, cleans aren't as good, but high gain stuff with those are amazing.
@Jaredmkl: Yeah, I guess my main concern when it comes to getting a new floyd is whether it'll fit or not. I don't want to blow a bunch of money on something I can't use, you know? And I'd honestly rather not route the guitar any if possible. :I
As for the pickup suggestions, I've looked into them, and they all seem nice. Seems like they'd cover all of the ground I want covered, so thanks. And I'm not sure if I'm going to worry about a Treml-no or D-Tuna, I love to pull the floyd up for those harmonics. B) And I honestly would love to get a pot so I can coil tap. Are those typically a pain in the ass to install? I'm pretty new to guitar modding. xD

@SWilson: Ehh, I use an off brand 30 watt amp, but I'm planning on buying a half stack sometime soon as well (still looking into what I want as far as that goes). And I have a Dunlop Cry Baby and USED to have a DOD Grunge pedal (crapped out on me; the sound varried for whether the tone was good, and it was only good for metal stuff in my opinion, but it sounded great in my friend's Marshall).

@Hatecrew4255: From what I've heard, the Floyd Special IS a licensed, but I've heard it's better quality than most. Then again, I think I might jump on board with the Schaller idea, if I can get the damn measurements to be safe. :I lol I might check some guitar shops and see if they can provide some info for me on that.
And I love the way actives sound for metal, but the problem with that is that I want versatility for this guitar, and sadly, actives generally can't provide that.
And I could definitely look into the invaders. :P
Floyd special is licensed. If its not an OFR or a Schaller FR its not worth it.
Push pull pots are fairly easy to wire.

The floyd should fit. The only time I've heard of issues with it fitting is with putting it in an Ibanez that had an edge or zr trem.
GEAR
The dimarzio super distortion is really nice as well, probably what will go in my kh602
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220