Hey, I've been messing around with amp simulation for a bit. I got a pretty decent sounding preset through Amplitube 3 (metal), and I'm using a Mesa Boogie 4x12 impulse. If you listen, when it comes up to the part with the palm muted triplet notes (supposed to be very heavy, feel free to listen to the original - Damage Control by John Petrucci) but no matter what I do, it still sounds very flat.

It's not the bass knob, turning it up/down by any amount doesn't help, it's at a good balance.

I'm running a separate EQ through a rack, bringing out the bass frequencies at ~115 Hz.

I just don't know what it is.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/maskedmurader23/damage-controwl
At that point, I would check and make sure I was using good tone settings and had the right pickup selected on the guitar. It's really easy to overlook when you hit a big chug rhythm section after a solo or high lead part.
That is way uber flat though, are you sure that preset has any bass in it at all?
Quote by datgnat
That is way uber flat though, are you sure that preset has any bass in it at all?

Well it just seems like the bass knob is over-touchy. It's at about 4, but if I turn it even a hair higher I get way too much chug, and it sounds like it's barely palm muted at all.
I'd try punching that beat in and picking really hard. Could also lose a bit of the gain on all the guitar tracks, everything is a bit noisy and muddy right now. Is there a bass guitar? If so, I'd take out your 115hz boost on the guitars and let the bass fill everything in from 150hz-ish and below. This will make a huge difference when it comes in on the first triplet.

Edit: kick could also use a lot more low end. Try bringing the guitars down in volume a few db so it all sits better. Biggest factor here is likely going to be technique, however.
Last edited by Odirunn at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Odirunn
I'd try punching that beat in and picking really hard. Could also lose a bit of the gain on all the guitar tracks, everything is a bit noisy and muddy right now. Is there a bass guitar? If so, I'd take out your 115hz boost on the guitars and let the bass fill everything in from 150hz-ish and below. This will make a huge difference when it comes in on the first triplet.

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't thought of this; I'm going to try it. I hadn't tried to put any production value on this track, I'm just trying to find the tone. I only single tracked the guitar panned in the middle, but yeah it should come out if I let the bass come through. Thanks a lot, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Quote by MaskedMurader23
Wow, I can't believe I hadn't thought of this; I'm going to try it. I hadn't tried to put any production value on this track, I'm just trying to find the tone. I only single tracked the guitar panned in the middle, but yeah it should come out if I let the bass come through. Thanks a lot, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Definitely double track the rhythm like on the CD, everything will punch way way harder with the guitars panned hard L/R and the kick and bass filling the middle.
Alright. I double tracked the guitars, panned them L and R (I also had the backing track panned L and R, changed it to just middle), and also gave it a bit more bass on the knob, but toned it down with the EQ. Thanks everyone for the advice, the quality and bass has improved greatly.

I reuploaded the track:

http://soundcloud.com/maskedmurader23/damage-controwl

Cheers
Sounds a lot better-there's always room for improvement, but it definitely no longer sounds like it's played with a five watt amp through a metal barrel.