Quote by Fivebretz
Always hated the guy. Strikes me as an arrogant tosser, and his fans are insufferable

that's because his fanbase consists of pseudo-intellectual left wing teenagers aka most of UG.
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Bill Hicks was a badass. I love his work so much that I have him in my sig.^___^
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I like him as a stand-up comedian. But I hate when people when people bring him up in any kind of serious discussion. Like if the topic is government or something, people will post a Bill Hicks video or quote.

Sometimes his heart was in the right place, but he's definitely not a philosopher to say the least.
Eh he's okay. Comes off as an arrogant ass sometimes, but sometimes he's funny.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by The Madcap
I like him as a stand-up comedian. But I hate when people when people bring him up in any kind of serious discussion. Like if the topic is government or something, people will post a Bill Hicks video or quote.

Sometimes his heart was in the right place, but he's definitely not a philosopher to say the least.

Like any good comedian, his value was in getting people to think about some serious matters, by getting them to laugh about them.
Quote by The Madcap

Him being a comedian dosn't make him unable to make serious points you know, it's just that it takes the jester to point out the absurdities in this society...

edit: the post above is right too, his comedy was funny but was also about serious things too. He spoke a lot of truth.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Him being a comedian dosn't make him unable to make serious points you know, it's just that it takes the jester to point out the absurdities in this society...
It has nothing to do with him being a comedian. It has to do with his serious points being silly and not proving anything, while sounding cool and edgy.
Bill Hicks and Frank Zappa are the coolest people that have ever walked on the planet.
█████████████████████████
Quote by The Madcap

Comedy is a generally great medium for social commentary.

If a video snippet, joke, or one liner is relevant to a discussion, why not post it? It's usually more entertaining than most other things. It can also be more poignant.

Someone's sig on this website is "comedians are just philosophers with the will to live."

I concur.

And it's funny.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Apr 25, 2011,
that's because his fanbase consists of pseudo-intellectual left wing teenagers aka most of UG.

I'm glad someone finally said that about UG.
Quote by The Madcap

You're implying that comedians can't be philosophers. He brought up very real issues, and spoke the truth about it. He knew exactly what he was talking about when he went off about something.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
You're implying that comedians can't be philosophers. He brought up very real issues, and spoke the truth about it. He knew exactly what he was talking about when he went off about something.

yup, he knew what he said.
@ The Madcap
You better just leave the thread now buddy, UGers have a way of defending everything with zealous fervor....

That being said, I love Bill Hicks along with most comedians that use lots of social commentary
It's all just a joke

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Bill Hicks was a badass. I love his work so much that I have him in my sig.^___^

Your sig is terrible and so is that dude if he says that. Someone wanting to fight or protect their country isn't dumb at all.
Quote by The Madcap
It has nothing to do with him being a comedian. It has to do with his serious points being silly and not proving anything, while sounding cool and edgy.

They're meant to be funny. To extract comedy from a situation you usually have to simplify it and create a narrative.
Quote by K Reyn
Your sig is terrible and so is that dude if he says that. Someone wanting to fight or protect their country isn't dumb at all.

protect their country?

from who?

we're the ones that stick our noses in places it shouldn't be.

our country has started practically every war its been in and religion has started all of the rest of them.
Quote by K Reyn
Soldiers are hired killers brah.
Quote by Doppelgänger

This! Totally this!
Same with Tool fans.

I swear fans really make it difficult to like something sometimes.
Quote by K Reyn

I'm not sure you know the context of the joke

HINT: it was around 1990s....

It's all just a joke

Has anybody read his book, "Love All The People"? Fascinating read, really delves into the mind of the man.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by K Reyn

Protect the country from who?

All the military is is a group of hired thugs. They're ignorant enough to sign up to be killed because the believe everything the government tells them?

Anyone that is stupid enough to believe that they're actually fighting terrorists is a ****ing fool, and they deserve to be killed. I would shoot the fuckers too if they were invading the place I live for oil.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Comedy is a generally great medium for social commentary.

If a video snippet, joke, or one liner is relevant to a discussion, why not post it? It's usually more entertaining than most other things. It can also be more poignant.

Someone's sig on this website s "comedians are just philosophers with the will to live."

I concur.

And it's funny.
I think he's funny, too. Hell, I could probably find one video of Hicks where I actually think he's raising a good argument. What I'm saying is that a lot of his serious points don't contain any worthwhile arguments and are just nonsense (unless viewing it as comedy). If they're posted as in "Hey, here's a funny video about this topic." then fine. If it's posted as in "You don't agree with me? Watch what this guy says then", I think it's usually a poor argument (if any) being made.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
You're implying that comedians can't be philosophers.
No I'm fucking not. Jesus. I'm saying Hicks' commentaries on serious issues shouldn't be taken seriously, as he doesn't actually provide arguments or anything, he just says what he thinks and proceeds to call those who disagree with him retards or thugs.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
He brought up very real issues, and spoke the truth about it. He knew exactly what he was talking about when he went off about something.
Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. He doesn't display it in his comedy though.
Quote by Zoot Allures
such as what?
A lot of times I agree with his conclusions. I hate when they're posted in some argument though, as he's not actually making any kind of argument, while saying those who disagree are some form of the word stupid.

There's no point in posting that in serious discussions.

I'm not gonna look through youtube trying to find an example. But I remember one bit where he's saying everyone in the military is dumb, or a hired killer. Yeah, no.
I can't stand some of his facial expressions, but he's funny.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
The difference between Bill Hicks and most other comedians (most, not all) in my experience, is that most comedy routines are like "Hey, listen to this funny shit that happened, or these funny observations, blah blah blah joke laugh joke laugh", whereas Hicks is very much "LISTEN UP ASSHOLE WHILE I SMOTHER YOU WITH MY IDEOLOGY". Sure, he had a lot of good points about a lot of pertinent stuff, people will be yammering till kingdom come about his relevance as a social commentator, but he came off as such a prick a lot of the time and his fans take that and run with it.
Obvioulsy Hicks' routines aren't capable of winning an argument on their own, but they are a light-hearted way of raising certain issues and are good as part of an argument.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Fivebretz
The difference between Bill Hicks and most other comedians (most, not all) in my experience, is that most comedy routines are like "Hey, listen to this funny shit that happened, or these funny observations, blah blah blah joke laugh joke laugh", whereas Hicks is very much "LISTEN UP ASSHOLE WHILE I SMOTHER YOU WITH MY IDEOLOGY". Sure, he had a lot of good points about a lot of pertinent stuff, people will be yammering till kingdom come about his relevance as a social commentator, but he came off as such a prick a lot of the time and his fans take that and run with it.

Hicks was very much a generic comedian early in his career. Once he started gaining popularity, he used his time on the stage to speak of more important things. Nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by AzureNight at Apr 25, 2011,