Well, the other day PGS listed five of these on eBay at $99.95 shipped. On accident of course. Being the precocious little scamp that I am, I of course had to grab one.

It's a Joe Bonamassa sig Fuzz Face. It sounds pretty nice, much like any other Ge Fuzz Face. It cleans up really well with your volume knob. It behaves quite a bit like the NKT275 Sun Faces I've played along with the only vintage Ge Fuzz Face I've come across.

The gain level is very much in the vintage camp. You can hit early Hendrix tones with the gain cranked but not much else. The benefit of this is the cool clean up. It also distorts less with single notes than chords as a result. There's only 1000 of them a year and this one is #151.

It's actually very, very quiet and well built. Major kudos to Dunlop for this one. Really high quality Vishay caps and resistors and some NOS mil spec Russian transistors. The board is pretty cool, if a bit odd. You'll see what I mean in the pics.

And here's a schem for all you DIYers.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Apr 25, 2011,
good catch! I was debating on getting one of those, but I would rather have an NKT275 Sun Face.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Honestly the difference between this and the NKT Sun Faces I've played is very small. This one has a bit more gain but cleans up just the same. I'd save my money and get the standard 2SB/2N or the $15 TI CV7003 upgrade.

The big enclosure with the weird jacks is a bit of a PITA though. I don't think this will be going on my gigging board.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I just like the NKT because Dan aurbach uses one I need a bigger Fuzz collection. IMO they are the most fun pedals
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

They really are. I dunno how often I actually use them when playing out but cranking my amp up and then hitting it with a fuzz is a blast.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I have found alot of use for them. I set them for to heavy bass to be used for real chord playing, but to boost riffs or just for riffs they are amazing. I play in a lower register usually though, I like how it sounds

EDIT: I just added all the options i would want on a Analog Man Sun Face Fuzz, and it was like $300.00 I think I should go OG and get no LED and no 9 volt jack.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Last edited by kracdown at Apr 26, 2011,
LED isn't really a biggie for me but the lack of power jack on this will probably keep it off my gigging board. I hate batteries, especially live.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Congratulations, nice looking pedal, but as stated earlier, it's a bad fit on most pedal boards with that shape. I like Dunlop, and I like fuzz, so I'm sure I'd find a way to use it. Enjoy.
I might make an EJ type board to put it on. Something like this:

Gotta get those pedals positioned for best tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx

YES.

The only thing, i don't know about that fuzz face, but, some fuzz's sound better with batteries. I guess thats more for recording, a 9 volt is much better for gigging. That's one of the reasons i put my analogman peppermint fuzz of my board, I always forgot to unplug it. I replaced it with a Sovtek Big Muff (which is spectacular)
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by Ippon
Nice score, congrats! How long do you plan to hang on to it?

Uh. I dunno. A month? I'll probably sell it whenever I finish one of the Fuzz Faces I've got lying around. Though it does look sweet as fack. And I haven't been selling as many pedals lately...

Quote by kracdown
YES.

The only thing, i don't know about that fuzz face, but, some fuzz's sound better with batteries. I guess thats more for recording, a 9 volt is much better for gigging. That's one of the reasons i put my analogman peppermint fuzz of my board, I always forgot to unplug it. I replaced it with a Sovtek Big Muff (which is spectacular)

There's no power jack so I don't have to worry about battery mojo with this one. The perceptible difference between batteries is their internal series resistance and that can be simulated with a pot set up as a variable resistor in series with the power supply.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Apr 27, 2011,
paint it red
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by mmolteratx
They really are. I dunno how often I actually use them when playing out but cranking my amp up and then hitting it with a fuzz is a blast.

Quote by mmolteratx

that rubber band is on there for a reason! do it nao!

it really is a damn nice looking pedal, no doubt.
I know it's on there for a reason. The screw holding the bottom plate on makes the lows real flabby. I almost had to do that earlier because I misplaced the screw. Luckily I found it though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

make sure the band is on north/south and not east/west or your highs will get all ice picky.
if you put 2 rubber bands on does it change phasing?
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
they pulled this thing down as I was in the process of going through the checkout also PGS never responded to my email damn you Matt
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}