I'm having a bit of trouble with this, my thumb keeps on muting the string right after it is picked, not letting the string ring out. Any tips?
Quote by blue_strat
Slow down.

I am, but the problem is, with my thumb touching the g strings for example, it also touches the b string.
Your pick may be inside the strings too far, you don't need all that much pick to produce a good or strong sound.

Or, you may be tilting your sweeping hand a little too much so that your thumb touches the strings.
Ok, I managed to be able to sweep without my thumb unintentionally muting strings, but I have to position my hand in a more awkward position, and it's a really tight clearance, about 1mm.

Would it be recommended that I combine muting with the palm and muting with the thumb while sweeping? For the actually sweeping, I find it easier to mute with my palm since the whole hand is moving anyways, but muting with the thumb seems more precise, and there would be less hand movement.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Ok, I managed to be able to sweep without my thumb unintentionally muting strings, but I have to position my hand in a more awkward position, and it's a really tight clearance, about 1mm.

Would it be recommended that I combine muting with the palm and muting with the thumb while sweeping? For the actually sweeping, I find it easier to mute with my palm since the whole hand is moving anyways, but muting with the thumb seems more precise, and there would be less hand movement.

That's odd, how are you holding the pick? Where is your arm positioned on the guitar? Where is your hand positioned? Post pictures if possible.

I wouldn't go with muting with the thumb but then again, I've never tried it myself and always muted with my right hand palm/left hand.
I personally use my palm... i've never actually tried using my thumb.. i guess with lots of practice it could be worthwhile
I use both my palm, and my thumb when I'm making a down stroke on the E as I prepare to make my descend, but honestly that's about all I use my thumb for when sweeping. You could be holding the pick wrong perhaps ?
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa