So, my Schecter Damien 6 is my baby. but im considering changing the stock EMG passives. my friend has a set of Duncans, JB/59 setup that he took out of a C-1 classic and he is selling them for about $80-100. not sure yet. my question. how would this change the sound of my schecter? do you think i should pick them up? they would either go into my Schecter or a Mahogany LP type guitar ive been wanting to fix up. any advice is appreciated!
Do you like the way your guitar sounds now?
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Personally the Schecter (IMHO) is better suited for the EMG's. That is a heavy rock, shred, metal type of axe and that set of SD pickups is not really geared for that tone. The JB/59 would be great in the LP style you have.

If you're just looking for higher output, consider converting the Schecter to active pickups....its not a terribly expensive modification and you could consider adding an afterburner "boost" pot, I did this a few years ago to my Jackson (was originally passive) and it kills now, I replaced the passive EMG/HZ with the Zakk Wylde set.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
well, i kinda like the way the passive EMGs sound. but ya never know if you like something different unless you try it, right? (only applying this to gear here >.> i play stuff ranging from killswitch engage to all time low to escape the fate to chevelle lol. seems like most the videos i see have it more of a classic rock type tone...could they handle those types of tones in the LP style guitar?
Quote by shecter guy
well, i kinda like the way the passive EMGs sound. but ya never know if you like something different unless you try it, right? (only applying this to gear here >.> i play stuff ranging from killswitch engage to all time low to escape the fate to chevelle lol. seems like most the videos i see have it more of a classic rock type tone...could they handle those types of tones in the LP style guitar?

Ya probably, here's a video of me playing some killswitch to give you an idea of what the JB sounds like. That guitar has an alder body though so it would probably sound better in mahogany from what I've heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICt0INXBwWc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I have no experience with the 59 so I can't tell you what it's like
Guitars
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
lol im mainly worried about the JB being able to handle metal. obviously the '59 will be used mostly for cleans
Dave Mustaine used to use the JB in his guitars and his signature live wires are based off the jb/jazz combo. So it is pretty good for metal haha
Guitars
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
yeah, i knew the livewires were basically active jb/jazz combo. just couldnt find any videos of them that werent classic rock or blues haha
The duncans will be an upgrade over the passive emgs. But you may like active EMGs too. If your gonna go active the emg x series and the seymour duncan blackouts are worth a look too. But you wont go wrong with the jb/59.
im not looking to go active. i dont play nearly as much metal as i do rock and alternative type stuff. gonna stick with passives for my Schecter
In my opinion the jb/59 set are kinda middle in the road and they dont really excel at metal tbh...

I mean they'll do the other stuff pretty alright probably better then emgs but yeah.. The jb isnt really a favourite pickup amongst people that have tried lots of pickups its a very marmite pickup and its very tempermental about what guitar you put it in...

If you wanna go passive and metal is a priority i'd probably look into dimarzio crunchlab/liquifire or something... I mean it'll probably do fine at other genres as well they are designed for petrucci who uses a wide variety of tones i just know they work well for the metal side of things since i use them in my drop c metal guitar haha.

If you have money to burn BKP is an option but since i assume you're in america there quite pricey compared to dimarzios/duncans etc.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 26, 2011,