so, my band is made up of people from other bands around the az scene that did fairly well. so were kinda wanted for show. well, there is one promoter in particular that i do not care for, in fact i would go as far as to wish he was in a car accident. he ****ed me and my dad over out of a lot of money and DO NOT want to book with him. my band on the other hand says a show is a show and as long as he gives us what is promised then no foul or harm. and im pretty set in not booking with him...

what do you guys think i should do? bite my lip and bear it or try and convince them that he isnt worth the air he breaths?
Quote by KTFM
Dammit, Snorlax! This is why we can't have nice things!!

Quote by Xiaoxi
AWWWWWWWWW FUCK NAW!!!!!!!

ಠ_ಠ
Well in my opinion you can not do the show, alienate your bandmates and let this guy **** over a good thing you have going. Or you could suck it up play the show and move on with your life and the bands. Business is business after all, you have to work with douchebags and assholes sometimes. you cant just take your ball and go home when you dont like someone. I dont blame you for not wanting to work with him but it sounds like its for the better of the band and thats what has to come first. Good Luck

but yea i would definitely take everything he says with a grain of salt and dont let him screw you over again
Last edited by dmiwshicldply at Apr 26, 2011,
Which promoter, I know a few in the phoenix area.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Why do you need to book a show with this particular guy?
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Quote by Attenuare
Why do you need to book a show with this particular guy?

we dont need to book one with him. he wants to book my band and im conflicted
Quote by KTFM

Quote by Xiaoxi

ಠ_ಠ
Well the elitist promoter is not uncommon, in most circumstances you just grin and bear it.

However in this case it sounds like there's a lot more than him being a dick. He's taken money from you somehow, and if what you say is true you may want to simply avoid him altogether.

I'd explain my position to the rest of the band, if they're a good band they should understand and seek gigs elsewhere.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
you know you guys could try to find a gig elsewhere....

sorry but if he took money from you once then he may take money from you again.

however when you say he screwed you out of alot of money, i am curious as to how much is alot (you don't have to give an exact answer but there is a big difference between a few hundred and a few thousand and both could be considered 'alot' of money)?

and how did he screw you, was three a contract, a verbal agreement, or did you just assume you were getting paid for something? honestly I have met people who believe that they were screwed because they thought something was going to happen, even though they never asked and were never told that they would get anything (for example my buddies uncle asked him to help him move, thats all, my buddie assumed he was going to get paid for it and was mad when he only got pizza instead of a twenty, his uncle never promised him anything nor did my buddy ask about it, but he was mad anyway).

remember there are two sides of every story, but honestly talk to the band about trying to book somewhere else that night instead, with someone you don't have a bad history with....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
you know you guys could try to find a gig elsewhere....

sorry but if he took money from you once then he may take money from you again.

however when you say he screwed you out of alot of money, i am curious as to how much is alot (you don't have to give an exact answer but there is a big difference between a few hundred and a few thousand and both could be considered 'alot' of money)?

and how did he screw you, was three a contract, a verbal agreement, or did you just assume you were getting paid for something? honestly I have met people who believe that they were screwed because they thought something was going to happen, even though they never asked and were never told that they would get anything (for example my buddies uncle asked him to help him move, thats all, my buddie assumed he was going to get paid for it and was mad when he only got pizza instead of a twenty, his uncle never promised him anything nor did my buddy ask about it, but he was mad anyway).

remember there are two sides of every story, but honestly talk to the band about trying to book somewhere else that night instead, with someone you don't have a bad history with....

roughly 500 dollars. and, me and my dad split it so he could open a venue. the venue needed insurance and thats what the money was for. we had it written out in contract that he would pay us back. well, fast forward to the end of the venue, he never even attempted to pay us and, he made no payment to the insurance company. he told us he had cancelled the insurance and we would be getting the money back soon. well the insurance ran out due to non payment and he lied to my face and my dads face. you now know everything.
Quote by KTFM

Quote by Xiaoxi

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Team_Snorlax
roughly 500 dollars. and, me and my dad split it so he could open a venue. the venue needed insurance and thats what the money was for. we had it written out in contract that he would pay us back. well, fast forward to the end of the venue, he never even attempted to pay us and, he made no payment to the insurance company. he told us he had cancelled the insurance and we would be getting the money back soon. well the insurance ran out due to non payment and he lied to my face and my dads face. you now know everything.

thanks man there are so many posts where people don't totally explain the situation and purposly leave major details out just so they look better, and that unfortunately almost always leads to bad advise .....

I'd say that 500 is a pretty good chunk of money... how much is he claiming he'll be paying you now (you don't need to actually tell me how much but I guess I'm more wondering if its going to be more or less than what he owes you)?

also you could look for another gig that night and before you book someplace else tell him you will be glad to play if he pays you back on top of the normal payment. you never know you might at least get the money he owes you back
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
thanks man there are so many posts where people don't totally explain the situation and purposly leave major details out just so they look better, and that unfortunately almost always leads to bad advise .....

I'd say that 500 is a pretty good chunk of money... how much is he claiming he'll be paying you now (you don't need to actually tell me how much but I guess I'm more wondering if its going to be more or less than what he owes you)?

also you could look for another gig that night and before you book someplace else tell him you will be glad to play if he pays you back on top of the normal payment. you never know you might at least get the money he owes you back

he isnt paying us anything he refuses too.
Quote by KTFM

Quote by Xiaoxi

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Team_Snorlax
he isnt paying us anything he refuses too.

then I wouldn't play unless he pays you back, honestly the band should understand, and I'm sure that since most of you guys were in bands before you guys should have contacts to get other gigs in place of this one.

it's one thing to have to work with someone you just don't like, but its something else when that person has screwed you over.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by krypticguitar87
then I wouldn't play unless he pays you back, honestly the band should understand, and I'm sure that since most of you guys were in bands before you guys should have contacts to get other gigs in place of this one.

it's one thing to have to work with someone you just don't like, but its something else when that person has screwed you over.

yeah, but the thing is...the guys in my band dont have a problem playing one of his shows. i mean the drummer doesnt really count cause...well he just takes my side on just about everything..i just want to do whats right for the band. this is why im so confused.
Quote by KTFM

Quote by Xiaoxi

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Team_Snorlax
yeah, but the thing is...the guys in my band dont have a problem playing one of his shows. i mean the drummer doesnt really count cause...well he just takes my side on just about everything..i just want to do whats right for the band. this is why im so confused.

well on one hand it sucks to do a favor for someone who screwed you (and not in a good way ) and on the other hand he really can't screw you this time if he isn't promising anything.

so like I said you can try to find another place that will schedule you that night.... I would tell the band "I have a personal problem with that guy, so I will look for another gig instead, and if I can't find one by (some date before you need to confirm that you will be playing) then I'll play there"

they'll see that you will do whats best for the band but this time you really don;t get along with this guy.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by Team_Snorlax

What's right by you should be right for the band. You have a legitimate reason to not deal with this promoter. Therefore, your band has a legitimate reason to not deal with this promoter.

Quote by Team_Snorlax
we dont need to book one with him. he wants to book my band and im conflicted

**** him!

If you book a show at his venue and if you guys play by his rules, he is going to get his hands on your money. He's ripped you off before, you will probably get ripped off again, and you will look like a total dumbass for going through with it.

Is all of that really worth playing a gig?

Remember, this is business. When money is involved, it's business. Don't be conflicted, be smart. You should tell this guy to **** off and your band-mates need to understand that you are just looking out for their best interests.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Last edited by Attenuare at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by Team_Snorlax

It was written in contract that he would pay back? Well that contract is law if it was done properly so you could take him to court.
Take the dude to court and get your money back. If it's only 500 dollars you can just take him to small claims, it's a pretty simple process and you don't need a lawyer or anything.

If he does good shows, book with him and make sure you have a contract drawn up for each show.
Quote by krypticguitar87

Disregard my first comment then.........

It sounds like no band your ever in should EVER play for this guy. As well as any other band you run across, let them know how this guy is. get the word out around town that hes scum and doesnt own up to his debts. enough bands boycott and he no longer has a job.
Why doesn't your dad just take him to small claims court and show the "written out contract" and get the $500 back?

And then either do the gig or find another venue.
I leik music
I say tell your band how you feel. If they insist, go with it for their sake. BUT, watch him like I ****in God/Allah/Chuck Norris/what have you. Make sure he keeps his word to the apostrophe. This way, he can't **** you over. This strategy has the added advantage of that on the pretty decent chance he does try to screw you over, you'll know. Then, you get the pleasure of destroying him. Whether it's legally, physically, or both, it's all satisfying.

In the end, either: A) He doesn't **** you over and your bandmates see you as a mature and responisble individual being as you made sure nothing happened, or B) He ****s you over, your bandmates will accept your "I told you so" and appreciate your foresight from then on, and then on top of that you get to ruin the guy. If you go the legal route, you can sue for what he owed the band, and then get the 500 bucks he owes you and your dad out of possible punitive damages or something like that.
~
"I'm a musician, what did you expect?"

~