I've been teaching myself music theory lately, and so far I've picked up quite a bit. The problem is however is I'm just reading most of this information and not really doing activities based on whatever I have learned. For example, I'm reading about the certain types of cadences in music, and forms of music too. Its not really "sticking" in my head just by trying to memorise it all.
This would be easier if I were in school and being handed out assignments.
So basically what I'm asking is if theres a application or website with 'assignments' if you will, which basically resembled school study books. This would help me retain the things I learned much better.

cheers
okay please don't tell me you started directly with cadences....

do you know the major scale yet?

also for different types of music its all about listening to them, you don't need to write it or apply anything to hear the differences.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
if you'd read my post properly you would've seen I've "picked up quite a bit".
I'm basically up to some more intermediate concepts and I want to eventually write music. The theory would stick better if I applied it.
'picked up quite a bit' can mean many different things to different people, and if you read my post correctly you would have noticed I asked if you know the major scale which you still haven't answered.

sorry dude but none of us know what you know and what you don't the only thing we can see that you are having trouble with cadences.

also intermediate concepts are relative and not really the same for everyone. I get that you want to know how to write but no one can help you if we don't know what you already know, and many people will skip things like learning the major scale.

how did you learn the things from before cadences?
did you have exercises you went through with scales (major, minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor)?
how about with diatonic chords?
diatonic progressions?
how did you learn the differences between each key?
did you learn the circle of fifths?
do you understand what a cadence is?
do you understand that you can still write music without understanding what a cadence is?

I mean I never really had a problem applying any theory I learned, I would learn what it is and then try it on my own, infact as I study music more, I still do that. but I really don't know how you expect anyone to help you if we don't know these things about you....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I dont know why you are asking all those questions they have nothing to do with what he actually asked and the answer is yes there is a site that does guide you through theory they give you assignments and then test you then once you have done these you move on to the next levels. I think someone on ug runs the site but Ive forgotten there username and the site url so thats as much as I can help you.
It's my site. That's exactly my format.

If private theory instruction through a uniquely developed program approach/curricula isn't an option for you, consider taking songs that you know/dont know and breaking them down and analyzing them to their basic elements. That's not how I do things, but if you're on the self study path, that's about the only thing I can think of.

Best,

Sean
If Im going to pay for a site, then i might as well go out and do some courses..
Basically, I want to take a piece of sheet music and analyse its form, structure, everything, etc
If you want to retain the theory you've been studying, then you already gave yourself the answer to it in your second post. Apply it. Make some nice chord progressions with the cadences that you've been studying. Then after you can solo over the progression you made, so you can really get a feel for what it sounds like(make sure you use chord tones so that you can see how the chords are moving). It may sound like a lot of work, but it think that's what it takes.
Quote by supercoolperson
I've been teaching myself music theory lately, and so far I've picked up quite a bit. The problem is however is I'm just reading most of this information and not really doing activities based on whatever I have learned. For example, I'm reading about the certain types of cadences in music, and forms of music too. Its not really "sticking" in my head just by trying to memorise it all.
This would be easier if I were in school and being handed out assignments.
So basically what I'm asking is if theres a application or website with 'assignments' if you will, which basically resembled school study books. This would help me retain the things I learned much better.

cheers

Well I'd suggest the best thing to do is to create your own assignments. So you read a bit and then take that to the guitar. Even if it's a basic thing like learning your intervals; you can then hear what you are learning as you go, at your own pace.

Or is the issue actually that you lack the motivation to take it to the guitar without somebody leading you? If so, my suggestion won't really help and you'll need to find that website, or take the plunge and get a teacher.
Quote by supercoolperson
If Im going to pay for a site, then i might as well go out and do some courses..
Basically, I want to take a piece of sheet music and analyse its form, structure, everything, etc

What's stopping you? You have already said you know theory.

Best,

Sean