hi im new to rack gear and ive been wanting some rack gear for a while. i have searched the internet for the right power amp to get. i need it for my rack because i am going to go from guitar>amp head>preamp out>tuner>TC electronics>signal splitter>2 delays for each side>power amps>2 cabinets. i want the delays on each side to be at different times. so i was wondering which power amps would be best for guitar racks. thanks!
What amp head are you using?
Assuming it's a typical amp head the amp head you're using the preamp of also has a power amp. When turned on power amps should always have a load connected to it (typically a speaker cab under normal operation) otherwise you can do damage to the power amp section of the amp head. A dummy load is something that emulates the resistance of a speaker cab so the power amp on the head you're bypassing isn't damaged.

I don't know your budget or the specific details of your current rig but might be easier if you can switch that amp head for suitable a rack preamp which would't have a power amp attached like a typical head.

I'm really tired and it's late so hopefully someone else can come be helpful.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by justinb904
What amp head are you using?
Assuming it's a typical amp head the amp head you're using the preamp of also has a power amp. When turned on power amps should always have a load connected to it (typically a speaker cab under normal operation) otherwise you can do damage to the power amp section of the amp head. A dummy load is something that emulates the resistance of a speaker cab so the power amp on the head you're bypassing isn't damaged.

I don't know your budget or the specific details of your current rig but might be easier if you can switch that amp head for suitable a rack preamp which would't have a power amp attached like a typical head.

I'm really tired and it's late so hopefully someone else can come be helpful.

ah yes good point. i might just get another cab to plug in as the dummy load, there fore if my effects screw up i have a dry backup and it will act as the dummy load. thanks heaps!!