Hello all,

Keep in mind I have been only playing the guitar for 5 months and I am a total noob=)
I am trying to downtone my electric guitar to Down B and having problems.
I changed the chords to the thickers one but I just can not figure out how to tune it to drop B.
I know I am suppost to get BADGBE for drop B but can't find it on this tuner on my iPhone. Maybe I need a better tuner that I plug my guitar in?
And whenever I find B on the 6th string at like 61 HZ the chord rumbles against the fret board=/
I can not do it by ears since I am a noob and my tuner sucks =(

PS

sorry for my spelling.
Quote by maurier
Hello all,

Keep in mind I have been only playing the guitar for 5 months and I am a total noob=)
I am trying to downtone my electric guitar to Down B and having problems.
I changed the chords to the thickers one but I just can not figure out how to tune it to drop B.
I know I am suppost to get BADGBE for drop B but can't find it on this tuner on my iPhone. Maybe I need a better tuner that I plug my guitar in?
And whenever I find B on the 6th string at like 61 HZ the chord rumbles against the fret board=/
I can not do it by ears since I am a noob and my tuner sucks =(

PS

sorry for my spelling.

Drop B tuning is B-F#-B-E-G#-C# and I would reccomend you to get some new strings and a chromatic tuner to help you get your tuning accurate. Perhaps getting your guitar set up would help you as well. Cheers :3
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Okay, what you're experience here is an action problem. Action is the tension and height of your guitar string. The low B string is thick and is probably not getting the tension it needs to ring clearly, especially with everything else set up to normal tunings.

I have an app for my Android that is also out for the iPhone called ClearTune. It's a chromatic tuner. Works fantastically for my acoustic, you could try that. It's $1.99. I would suggest, however, buying an actual pedal tuner. It'll help you out so much more further down the road in your playing.

What I'm going to need to know before I can help you out with your B string issues are the following:

-What guitar are you putting the strings on?
-What Guage are the strings? (Look at the package, it should have the numbers corresponding to string thickenss on them)
-Do you have access to a professional guitar shop?

Quote by Hell Kaiser Ryo
Drop B tuning is B-F#-B-E-G#-C# and I would reccomend you to get some new strings and a chromatic tuner to help you get your tuning accurate. Perhaps getting your guitar set up would help you as well. Cheers :3

A lot of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave is BADGBe.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Hi and thanks for replies.
The guitar should be optimized specifically for drop B. It's a Jackson King V demmelition demmel, I bought it from a friends used for 700$.
It just need it new string and I made sure they where the thick ones for drop B tuning.
I am pretty sure I am doing something terribly wrong here=) My friend tuned it for me but since I went away for 2 weeks when I got back I decided to tune it myself.....Big mistake.
In the state it's in now I brought all the chords down low to try and work my way up to tune it properly but it's not working. I think I might need a good tuner since I can not plug the guitar in the iPhoen tuner it might not read the notes well?
I always tuned all my guitars with this tuner no problem but on this guitar I am having nightmares.
I even tried to tuned to standard tuning and I couldn't find the notes. Maybe this guitar is not set up for standard tuning?

I am lost

Thanks in advanced for all the help.

And excuse my spelling and total noobness

PS

I have access to a shop. I just wanted to try on my own cause if I have to tune this guitar like every other day those guys at my local guitar shop will close down =)
Last edited by maurier at Apr 26, 2011,
Okay, your issue is that the rest of the strings are actually too thick.

To tune BADGBe, you want to have regular thickness strings for every string except the B, which you'll want to be thicker. What's happening is that the rest of your strings are thick, and therefore are using a lot of tension to be tuned all the way up the standard pitches. As a result, your B string (being a relative thickness) isn't getting the tension it needs to be tuned that much lower.

Your guitar should handle lowered tunings very well. I would suggest restringing with normal strings, and then just buying a thick one for the low B and trying it that way, or since you're rather new, take it to a shop and ask for a setup. Make sure they understand what tuning you're going for, and make sure you ask them to explain what's going on. Guitar shop folks will teach you a lot if you ask (and they happen not to be assholes).
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by CreepingDeath13
put it in standard and tune down until you get to the right note?

+1
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
BADGBe is not drop B

I've tuned into drop B and it's B F# B E G# C#

Also there are no guitars that are designed for a certain tuning.
In this particular case i would say it's quite the opposite with the actual tuning process. I don't have a guitar with a tremolo system, but i know that it would be a huge piece of shit to tune from standard to drop B with a tremolo. A fixed bridge would work best for changing around your tuning lots.

If you don't understand what you're doing, my guess is you don't understand the very very basics of guitar theory, and i say this because i think i was in a similar situation to you when i was tuning down to Drop B.
For a while i could not understand how to drop tune. Now i prefer not to use a tuner because it can all be done by ear if you know the 12 notes of music and how they apply to the fretboard:

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#

I personally think drop tunings like Drop B are just a huge pain in the ass and for me it was just a phase of loving real death metal etc, and i think eventually you'll grow out of it. Now i prefer to almost always stay in standard.

When i tuned drop B which was probably about a year ago, i used 12-56s.
It's what the guys at my guitar store recommended.

http://www.beatindustry.com/store/images/ernie1256.jpg

If you're using anything much lighter it'll be like playing strings of spaghetti.

Hope that helped.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 26, 2011,
Thanks for all the help.

I went to my local store today and had it tuned to drop B but........The guy went into a lot of tech details with me and some I didn't understand but I made sure i explained to him I was a noob at all of this.
The way the guitar is set now is that if I try to loose the string fromt he top it will not do anything?
Not sure if this is good or bad. From what I understand he locked something on the top of the guitar so when I loose the string the chords don't drop in tone they only get loosen before the neck starts.

Hope you could understand this.

Let me know what you think. He also straightner up the floyd rose bridge and put it more parallel to the neck.
Wokrs great now I am just not sure what to do if I need to retune the guitar since the chords are locked in position.
he locked the 3 screws that are near the top of the neck right before the first fret. since you have a floating bridge you have what is called a locking nut. i also started playing in drop tunings with a floating bridge and it can be a bit confusing at first. the most popular floating bridge is called the floyd rose bridge. you should look it up and do a little research even if you dont have a floyd rose, all floating bridges work in the same manner.

use the little knobs on you're bridge ( other end of the guitar) to tune them if you need to make adjustments. if you want to completely change your tuning you will have to unlock these bolts. also you should really invest in a chromatic tuner. it will make it so much easier considering you have limited knowledge, you wont have to deal with hertz. just the letter of the note.

EDIT: here's a link
http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm

Also welcome to UG, you can learn a lot on this forum.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Apr 27, 2011,
You may want to get a chromatic tuner, you can get a decent one for about Forty Bucks (Mine broke and I been without a tuner for weeks lol).
And when you say "Chord" do you mean string?
I would'nt be playing chords when tuning, just the open strings...
That could be a problem.. :P
METAL!
Quote by JustRooster
Guitar shop folks will teach you a lot if you ask (and they happen not to be assholes).

Wish mine were nice, or helpful. None of the local ones know shit, and just try to offer to send it to a local guy, but won't give out his number to deal with directly
Worse yet, the owner is the dad of a friend of mine from high school, and I've asked about getting a job there since 10th grade when he opened, and he always said he can't afford help, now he has three employees who don't even play and don't know anything other than "stratocaster" or "the marshall MG series is a great choice".

People down town are all well known, and ^ assholes, who usually say, "I could tell you, but that wouldn't make me any $$$".