Ive just had what i believe is a brilliant idea for an AB switch box, instead of using a 3DPDT switch to switch between two outputs, use a pot instead to effecrively blend the signal? So no turn would be output A, full turn would be ouput B and anywhere inbetween would send varying amounts if signal to both? would this kind of box be better at the end of a chain or? I was thinking so i could run two amps one with a distortion chain and one with a clean chain (curious to how this would sound optimised, more note definition?).

- Where this could get incredibly difficult ia using a multiLED setup, or one of those LED screen things from Maplin, as an indicator? (like a tuner) so you would have it a green led at either end of the display with red inbetween which would follow the turn of the pot (if that makes sense xD)

So yeah thoughts on this, how you go about it etc? obvs the led screen isnt a must i just thought itd b cool if you could implement it:-p

Thanks Daniel
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
An A/B box with a blend pot sounds like a great idea. Not sure how to implement it with LEDs, but if you have the tip of the input jack going to the center lug of the pot and the lugs on either side going to the output jacks it may work. You just might need to consider that there is resistance between the two outer lugs but still a conducting path, whereas with a switch there's no conductance between the two outputs. Not sure how this will affect things though.
Its you again!! xD ahh okay sounds easier then i thought:-p would it work okay at beginning of chain do y'reckon? and i suppose i could use the smallest possible value pot and/or not use a resistor in parallel to make the resistance as small as possible - would i attach resistor across outside lugs?
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
I suppose you'd wire it somewhat like this: http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gitschems/2pkup-blend.jpg I'm not sure how the resistance will affect the signal, it may act like a switch if the resistance is too high but if it's too low it will allow signal to flow between the two outputs which you don't want. I think it'd work fine in front of the chain, probably better if you've got a buffered pedal.

Edit: actually come to think of it you'll need a buffer before the pot.
Last edited by matt154 at Apr 26, 2011,
hmm why would i need a ground and a voltage supply on the pot thou? and yeh i suppose, i could try any pot between 10k and 25k i reckon, if anything it will colour the signal slighlty like in guitar control pots, with a higher resistance removing warmth from the signal. Well thanks for the advice anyways haha, i am trawling the internet for a diagram for this scrolling led thing xD itd be hooked up to the blend pot thats for certain but the only examples i can find use arduino and code:/
There's no voltage supply, the + is the hot signal from the input and the pot sends the signal to ground when it's not on. I've remember hearing ages ago that you can mod a wah pedal to blend two outputs with a double gang pot like above. Can't find any schematics though.
ahh okay well ive found one now and ive found the pot i need in maplin - linear of logarithmic for the pot?
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
You could also make it an A/B/Y Style, to make it really versatile. Each output with its own DPDT switch and pot (or no switches if you prefer, personally I would want to use a switch in case I just wanted to shut down any signal to one amp), then you just give each amp how much ever volume you want.
hmm sounds good - what i could do is add an AB switch before the this idea, but in the same box and have a tuner out the ABY gave me the idea haha:-p so itd go
Input-3DPDT-AB Split blender box OR tuner out

Plan!!
Last edited by dannyninjaBC at Apr 26, 2011,
I drew something like this up a year or so ago, It was a dual function switching pedal with two switches and a pot. The first switch selects between the A/B stomp switch and the panning pot. Its a lot more useful in a studio environment where you have more capability and freedom, to be used live I've been thinking about tossing the circuit into a wah shell and jerry-rigging it to the wah follower so it can be adjusted with your foot. I'll find the schem.
i feel like i need to actually build this thing since i post it so much:
http://runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html

you would essentially be building the front end but with the blend pot there. you could alternately use a dual gang pot on the output as basicly volume knobs, but wired alternately.

i dont know how the LED screen thing works (link pls?) but it may not be that hard. you would probably want to use a dual gang pot for that, so the top controls the A/B and the bottom would send a variable voltage to the LEDs.
ahh okay all sounds good gonna wait till after these damn exams before i make a serious headway on this haha - @jof1029 i cudnt find that LED screen, only scrolling displays/clocks - unless they cud b rigged up? i mite disassemble an old tuner pedal to see how it works haha