I want to know what lessons on here are absolutely helpful to getting better and are essential to know. I've been playing for 3 years self taught and I don't feel myself getting better, after 3 years I cannot go up and down the fret board, play a solo, maybe a basic one, I can alternate pick but not as accurately as I want to, I can play riffs, but only power metal-ish type riffs (gallops, power chords, etc.). I don't know what a minor or e major is or w/e, I have no knowledge of chords or scales, I just play and put together what sounds good, and try to cover songs from some bands.

There are A LOT of lessons and I do not want to go through them all, so I just want to know which ones you experienced players feel helps get someone better, I want to be able to shred someday and play an emotional power solo for like a memory of a dead family member sometime and make my own songs in general.
What you need is a new amp.

No but seriously, i think practicing theory would be a good start, get to know those scales, minor and major, and all that kind of stuff. It'll help you with so many things.

*edit* bad english
Scales.
They will help you:
Alternate pick better
Aid you with solos
Teach you what major and minor are
Help you form chords [chords are made from scales]
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
yeah, i'd have to agree with woffelz,
make sure you learn both major and minor scale. learning some theroy wouldn't hurt either, you understand alot more and you realise how many songs are based off the theroy.
good luck
Well that lack of chords is an extreme cap on what you can play. Can't play chords, can't play songs. Miley Cyrus is better at guitar than you.

Learn chords at the very least. If you are interested in playing lead, get onto the major and minor scales as well.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It would be a huge task for anyone to take the whole of UG and break/distill the entire collection down to what you need. What you can do is use search and evaluate things by lesson ratings. Piece-mealing your entire learning through UG, may be a bit haphazard, but it depends on what you have to work with. Like one of the other commenter's have said, Justin guitar has helped many people for free.

What are your options for private lessons?

Best,

Sean
Quote by AlanHB
. Miley Cyrus is better at guitar than you.

Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by pucio
I'd recomend you that: http://www.justinguitar.com/
For me it has been very helpful. And don't skip lessons just because you think you know them, you can always learn something.

Have fun.

This x10000

To bad they made him take down his flawless tabs, i'm still ticked about it.
what i would recommend perhaps buying a chord book filled with all the main chords in different shapes then having the weird jazz style ones there to. then once you get the book learn each chord from start to finish. sure, your not gonna use every chord in that book, but knowing the general idea of different shapes can be very helpful. this will also show you the difference between major and minor chords. and you should also learn the major and minor scale. this will help soloing and should help get your chords down

good luck
Metallica? Is it shiny?

Quote by cornmancer
I will warn you, I have an incredibly large penis, and I am prepared to beat you to death with it.
Quote by Jaksen123
what i would recommend perhaps buying a chord book filled with all the main chords in different shapes then having the weird jazz style ones there to. then once you get the book learn each chord from start to finish. sure, your not gonna use every chord in that book, but knowing the general idea of different shapes can be very helpful. this will also show you the difference between major and minor chords. and you should also learn the major and minor scale. this will help soloing and should help get your chords down

good luck

Those little diagrams tend to be terrible though.

As soon as you find a 7flat9 chord they go off into the weeds.

A more interesting approach is to learn a few movable voicings and follow a lead sheet. Practicing a common progression like ii - V I through the cycle of 5ths is a great way to get a few handy movable chord forms under your fingers. We're not talking advanced guitar harmony here -- like learning all the drop 2 voicings of the altered dominant family -- Joe Pass know that kind of stuff backwards ... I mean just learning major, minor, 7's, half diminished, etc.

Yes -- a music book is a GREAT way to go -- you learn new stuff and a tune. But Fake books tend to be better than the "note by note" type books because one teaches you some music, the other only tells you where to wiggle your fingers.