Page 1 of 3
I was in a shop the other day. Screw it, I was in REGENT SOUNDS on Denmark Street in London looking for a new guitar. Well I was with a friend who was looking for a new guitar to buy. Budget was £550. When I asked to try the 5th guitar. We'd been in there for about 30 minutes at this point and there were about 3 other people playing guitars. Anyway when I asked "do you mind if we try the Nashville Tele?" I got this... "Well. Yeah, I do mind actually. Its alright if you're in here to buy but if you're just here to play loads of guitars thats really not on." (I'd bought a Standard MX Strat for £390 a week earlier but I guess they're only interested in you while your handing over money...) Any thoughts?
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Go to a different store. Theres some big music stores around here too where the workers are jerks. Horrible customer service and paid on commission. Just utterly horrible customer service. You should have told him off.

But at the same time, I find it incredibly annoying too when people have no intention of buying a guitar and just come into the store to show off. Very annoying. I'd never buy a guitar off the wall in a store due to the amount of use it's likely had.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Eh, that's a tough line. It sure does seem rude to be denied, but at the same time the owner has to look after his property. Each of those guitars will hopefully be sold to someone and it's best to have the least wear and tear on them as possible.
If you guys were truly customers then I think he might have been out of line, but I can't say for sure as I've never worked at a guitar shop.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
To be fair, it probably looked like you were pissing around. They are a business and they're not going to remember faces unless you leave an impression.
5 guitars is too much.
You should have a mindset of 2 guitars and maybe one more if you spot one.
Go to another store.. but not too just play and not buy.
Flash your money, show you're interested. Narrow down the one you want to two or three, and then compare those. If you don't buy after that, anyone would be pissed.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
meh me and my friends were at one of the largest music shops of europe and when we asked to play a gibson LP custom (and we certainly didn't look like we coulde afford it) they even let us play on an engl invader head (best school trip ever!!).

on the subject; like said before some are jerks and some aren't. but if you really didn't intend to buy something then i guess the owner is right
It's hard to deal with people who are not interested in buying because really a guitar store is there for the sole reason of a store, for people to buy things. So if they have to waste time on people who are just tooling around rather than people who are serious buyers, why would they bother? It's like going to an ice cream parlour and sampling EVERYTHING on the menu. It's just a nuisance.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Apr 26, 2011,
i'm in my local store every few weeks buying strings and whatever, so i've made a name for myself with the guitar guys, and the other day i told them i was planning on buying another guitar in the next six months/year, and asked if i could spend half an hour or so trying out guitars and buying nothing (of course, i promised them i would buy when i had money), and they happily let me. in the end i'd spent about 45 mins comparing two guitars i'd narrowed it down to while they taught me about how woods affect the tone and why not to get cheap floyd rose trems.
i ended up buying a set of strings anyway, because i needed them.

i suppose they're just great guys, but having a name for yourself as a regular customer and explaining your position and asking nicely probably helps quite a bit.
On the surface it seems like the store guy was being pure ig'nant.

But try to understand, a guitar shop is one of the few places where you can try almost every product before you buy it. It's like a car getting test driven over and over and over. It's losing value with every set of hands it goes through. It's frustrating I'm sure for shop people, because I'm sure they see a lot of people in there just goofin' off and lessening the value of their products.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
If you're there with the cash to buy a guitar, you should be able to play as many as you'd like. But make sure they know that you have the money!

If you're there just to play around on them, probably 1 or 2 is the limit. I feel guilty when I play guitars without any intention on buying them, and usually cut my go on them short.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
yeah I guess you can't blame him, but i think the way he went about it was a bit off, I never really try more than 2 each visit, unless spotting a nice one on the way out, but I always buy something like picks or strings and stuff, (if it's mylocal store) meaning they still get some business at least..
Quote by mark66saints
But make sure they know that you have the money!.

Obviously next time you just need to go to the music store with gangsta bling and a pimped ride.

Then they'll know whose got rubber band banks in their pocket, and they won't player hate.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Quote by FirstDegree
Obviously next time you just need to go to the music store with gangsta bling and a pimped ride.

Maybe not exactly like that, but if you walk in and say "Hi, I'm here to buy a guitar" they'll most likely treat you better
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
I don't like the staff in a lot of the Denmark Street shops, they're not very helpful =/ although five may be taking it a bit far lol
Fun story, was in a small guitar shop the other day in the middle of nowhere, they had a James Trussart! I begged the shopkeeper so he let me play it =]
Show interest in buying a guitar, but try out as many as you want too... who cares, you're the customer and thereby king
They may be concerned for the welfare of the merchandise, but I suspect they mostly get annoyed because you are wasting thier time. I would be.
Try as many guitars as you want unplugged and only plug them into an amp if you like how they feel and play.
That's how I try out guitars at least.
5 isn't even a good start. I might play 5 of a given model if I'm buying, just to check individual fit/finish/feel. I've never been told 'no', or even had it implied.
When I'm looking to buy, 5 is just a warm up. I talk to the salesman first (usually one I had previous dealings with) and go to town. But I have never been denied, not even after being in the humidor for an hour or so.

But if you're just out there to noodle, stay home.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
denmark street (with a couple of exceptions) has a reputation for totally sucking for customer service. When I was there, it lived up to that reputation.

Your experience sounds like par for the course. Buy elsewhere.

EDIT: especially considering you bought from them a week earlier. That's just not on.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 26, 2011,
From a buyers point of few; as many guitars as you want.
Although the staff are bound to be annoyed after the first few guitars.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I've never been told no for trying out guitars, I have however been shunned out of a store

That shunning happens when your Dad is also a guitarist and is good friends with the store owner and each employee and you stay there to long
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Denmark Street don't give good customer service
They feel they can get by regardless of service simply due to the fact that it's a well renowned place for guitars
And they also overcharge for gear
For me it depends on what I'm doing. I usually go to a bigger store to test stuff and have a few models that I want to try. Then I go to the smaller shop and order it. I also am fortunate to have a decent sized non-chain store almost across the street from me (or if they are a chain they aren't outside of Michigan afaik). They have a Guitar Center style set up and I went in one weekend to try LTDs with the plan to buy in 6 months or so (I do way too much planning research). I played 2 of each of around 4 body types to get a feel for them and ran through a quick exercise set with them. I never had them for more then 5 minutes or so. If asked I explain what I'm looking for and that I plan on buying soon but need to test things out so I know what I want and ask about special ordering because they never have the one I want in house. I've never run into issues, but do most testing at Guitar Center and never stay too long past 45 minutes (especially if I have to rip my wife from the acoustic room and get her away from the martins).
stupid move, given that I was in London a couple of weeks ago and passed about 10 guitar shops in the space of 2 minutes - its not as if they dont have competition. You think theyd be more tactful about keeping customers.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
I've heard that store is notorious for that TS. They wanna see the money before you buy. But to be honest, if I'm buying a new guitar, I'm gunna try as many as I want and be in the shop for as long as I want.

I spent 4 hours in Mansons Guitar Shop in Exeter (they make Matt Bellamy's guitars and John Paul Jones's basses) and they were fine with it. I was trying out high end amps anyway.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I've heard that store is notorious for that TS. They wanna see the money before you buy. But to be honest, if I'm buying a new guitar, I'm gunna try as many as I want and be in the shop for as long as I want.

I spent 4 hours in Mansons Guitar Shop in Exeter (they make Matt Bellamy's guitars and John Paul Jones's basses) and they were fine with it. I was trying out high end amps anyway.

I spent about 3 hours in Mansons (travelled down from London) spent about 30 minutes staring at the MB guitar in the case. I was thinking... "Would they let me... Naah" Haha.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
whenever i have been out to buy a new guitar i try as many as i like, seeing as i am about to part with several hundred notes (or more).
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat
I was in a shop the other day. Screw it, I was in REGENT SOUNDS on Denmark Street in London looking for a new guitar. Well I was with a friend who was looking for a new guitar to buy. Budget was £550. When I asked to try the 5th guitar. We'd been in there for about 30 minutes at this point and there were about 3 other people playing guitars. Anyway when I asked "do you mind if we try the Nashville Tele?" I got this... "Well. Yeah, I do mind actually. Its alright if you're in here to buy but if you're just here to play loads of guitars thats really not on." (I'd bought a Standard MX Strat for £390 a week earlier but I guess they're only interested in you while your handing over money...) Any thoughts?

Appalling! You're planning on spending a lot of money on something you're going to have to like for a long time. 30 minutes / 5 guitars is perfectly reasonable.

I'd have walked out without a word, then sent a letter to the manager of the shop about the incident to inform him his staff are losing him business.
Last time I went to a store I got told "no, your only allowed to try after you buy" which kind of defeats the whole point of going in store :/ So I now use the store down the road from it which actually lets you have a go as all the models on the store front are B stocks or intended to be sold as ex-demo guitars with all the new ones at the back for you to try if you are def. gonna buy
Tie your notes together so they're really thick and wrap them around your knuckles.

then PUNCH HIM and say THERE'S MY MONEY
The shops in Denmark Street are the most uptight and with good reason. They get tons of people coming in every day who try out a guitar with no real intention of buying it. They lose money on guitars that get scratched up and dented by little kids wrecking their stock. If you went to a store in Leeds or Cardiff or Bristol or anywhere else then they don't care. You can go in to most stores and try any number of guitars in any price range out for hours and they don't mind so long as you're not deafening everyone in the store or clearly ****ing their stock up. But London and especially Denmark Street? They get screwed around a lot, they're going to get pissed unless you prove you're prepared to buy that day.
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat

i played like 20+ guitar just to try which guitar fret and pickup is for me, i have noticed the salesman was looking at me more often than the other customers.the staring was kinda irritating.

then one guy came to me and said - can i help you with something ?then i told him that , m confused between three models, i have come here from far away (2hours road), please give me some time, i know its rude to try many guitars. then they talked like -- oright ,take ur time, (this was in allans music-Sydney)

but my brother stayed in london for a while, and once he walked to a nearer guitar store to buy a guitar, the salesman didnt even let him try two guitars.

so i dont really blame them for keeping something fresh and shiny.lot of people may scratch the guitar a little bit while trying, a tiny one . but still we have to buy a guitar not a show piece, and every single guitar is different. so how can we buy them without trying which suits best to our hands ?

if i buy a guitar, obviously i will not appreciate that, 30 people have already tried it,with minor scratches. i am paying for brand new guitar, so i should get it as new as possible.they are also not wrong.
Last edited by COBHC912 at Apr 27, 2011,
the guys in my local are absolute best men, used to go in there when i was like 13-14 with my friends to "try out guitars" they new we weren't buying anything just by looking at us, a bunch of ratty skater kids who hustle to buy subway, one dude was heaps cool taught me heaps of stuff. one time i was actually looking to buy a newy and got into a jam sesh with this bassist in the store, then the store manager came over and picked up a les paul and layed down some nutta solo.
im quite infamous in that store
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat

Tell him that you won't be doing business there anymore - because its an uncomfortable store environment. That's some bullshit.
I say if you're guitar shopping then you should be able to try out every guitar on the wall if that's what it takes for you to find one you like. Sure, it's probably annoying, but it's also your money. If they don't like it, take your wad of money to another store.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I can't understand this store attitude of 'no you can't try these instruments.'

There are so many different makes and models today - it's not like the 60's and 70's when your options were a Fender or a Gibson - or a Fender or Gibson knockoff.
Quote by jayx124
guitar salesmen like older folks as they assume the chance for a sell rises dramatically

I'm not sure that's true. Older people generally have more money, but they also generally have more expenses (family, children, mortgage, etc.). Often they can't justify a guitar whereas a 19 year old, who has little money but no important expenses, can.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 3