Page 1 of 2
It's hard to imagine in this day and age, where everyone and their grandma's dog has an iPod, but I recently learned that some people apparently don't enjoy any kind of music.

I find it hard to imagine how they interpret music. Maybe they are tone deaf. Have you ever met anyone who doesn't "get" music?

Personally, I don't enjoy reading novels (inb4 "I can tell by your appalling grammar") but I think that's far more common than not listening to music.
Art in any form is subjective. I couldn't imagine my life without music, but I could go my whole life without visiting an art gallery and it wouldn't bother me much. Different forms of expression speak to people in different ways. That's part of what makes us all unique. I might not understand it personally, but at the same time, I'm kind of grateful for it.
They probably hear it, understand it intuitively, but don't see why a noise that goes up and down and sounds sad/happy/angry/whatever is a good thing. That's fine. I don't watch as many films or play as many video games as most people.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 26, 2011,
It's less like saying "I don't enjoy reading novels" and more like "I don't enjoy reading."

Sucks for those people though
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by bklinger83
Art in any form is subjective. I couldn't imagine my life without music, but I could go my whole life without visiting an art gallery and it wouldn't bother me much. Different forms of expression speak to people in different ways. That's part of what makes us all unique. I might not understand it personally, but at the same time, I'm kind of grateful for it.

+ 1

/thread
They just haven't yet heard the music that is right for them.

I wasn't into music so much until I heard the stuff that sounds amazing to me
Quote by bklinger83

Agreed.

But my taste in music is still superior to everyone's.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I can't imagine not enjoying music, but I'm sure some people don't. I've met a few people like that, most the time they usually find something else to do, like read or something.
I used to be that guy, high school, would prefer a book over it but then I heard metal and that opened the doors of music for me.

But I do know people who are content with what's playing on the radio and won't try anything else.

I know one who prefer silence and being boring to something blaring on her speakers, college batchmate of mine. She's quiet and prefers to read and doesn't get how this noise(music) can be appealing to anybody.

She says it's just a mess of sound and she hates it
Quote by gothblade
I used to be that guy, high school, would prefer a book over it but then I heard metal and that opened the doors of music for me.

But I do know people who are content with what's playing on the radio and won't try anything else.

I know one who prefer silence and being boring to something blaring on her speakers, college batchmate of mine. She's quiet and prefers to read and doesn't get how this noise(music) can be appealing to anybody.

She says it's just a mess of sound and she hates it

That's what metal is to me, wel the rougher metal, I like Black Sabbath and bands like that.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Everyone's got different taste in it. I imagine that the responses to this question would be a lot different on another forum as well - here on a guitar website, we've all loved it enough to at some point pick up a guitar and try to play it.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Music is different from all other art forms because it seems to appeal directly to the senses in a way other art form don't..I could totally see how some people just don't have that brain function.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
The girl I'm seeing at the moment doesn't get music at all. The only music she ever listens to is if it's the soundtrack to something she's watching which is usually anime and she only likes those songs in context; she doesn't listen to them on there own, only when she watches anime. I find it hard to understand seeing as I live and breathe music but it's her life, if it makes her happy to not listen to music then it's up to her, it's none of my business. I don't really relate to art, anime, manga, shit films like Avatar that everyone seems to love, novels and other stuff so I guess I can understand how some people don't get music. People are different I guess.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
I actually go through phases of not really enjoying listening to music and only enjoying playing it myself. It can be a fair bit of effort to go out and find stuff that actually appeals to you. My iPod is full of crap and I'm too lazy to fix that
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
I don't get people who don't get music. I mean, I understand that it's because of individuality and tastes etc, but I don't get it.

Also, the stuff that accumulates in your belly button, what's up with that.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Also, the stuff that accumulates in your belly button, what's up with that.
Just threw some of that in the bin. Where does all this fluff come from?
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
I find people don't get music until some one or something introduces them to a genre or band that they get curious of. Happened with me, I could have given a rats ass about music until a friend of mine in 8th grade said "Here, go listen to this" and it was Pantera, the rest is history.
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Last edited by lefthandedkid at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by Rokeman
They just haven't yet heard the music that is right for them.

I wasn't into music so much until I heard the stuff that sounds amazing to me

i like to think it is this but im sure there are people saying the samething about ballet
Quote by tayroar
That's what metal is to me, wel the rougher metal, I like Black Sabbath and bands like that.

Well I'm more of metal with clear vocals like speed metal,power metal, prog and thrash metal, Though I do love me some death metal when I"m in the mood but too much of it is just crap
I sent someone a video of Mark Knopfler playing Brothers in Arms in a massive venue, I think it might have been the Albert Hall or something. Anyway, to me, it's one of the most amazing live performances ever. It's just such a power song. My friend said "Meh, it's a bit depressing". That was it. Oh well, each to their own I guess.
I love music. I think that's a given, because I like to attempt playing the guitar. However sometimes (not very often at all) when I'm listening to something, I'll stop it abruptly. Just stop it, and try not to listen to anything for a while. It's bizarre.
If there's one thing I've learned in 64 years, it's that folks listen to music for wildly different reasons, and some simply don't appreciate it at all.
In Oliver Sacks' "musicophelia", he details several conditions which make music a horror for some people. They hear random noise. They hear discordant tones... There's something amiss in their basic psychological wiring.
Then there are just different purposes. I had a co-worker who used music as a sleeping-pill.. He only listened to go to sleep. Gee...I listen to music to get excited.
Another co-worker, same age as me, only listens to a "golden oldies" station that plays stuff that was popular when he was a teen-ager. Brings back memories of simpler times for him.
I told him I didn't like that stuff when it was new, and was always trying new stuff.
Different strokes.....
Quote by chaos13
Everyone's got different taste in it. I imagine that the responses to this question would be a lot different on another forum as well - here on a guitar website, we've all loved it enough to at some point pick up a guitar and try to play it.

this is what I thought. However, it's seems really alien to me (and imagine the vast majority of users on this site) to not enjoy music. I mean I'm not a 'music is my life' type person, but I do love it, especially well a large group of people are enjoying it
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

My pops is like that. He says he never had time to get in to music when he was growing up. Every now and then he will listen to Gene Vincent or Chuck Berry if I have it on but other than that he mainly listens to talk radio or the news.
Quote by tayroar

Basically this. I do like heavier stuff than Black Sabbath, but if it has growling vocals that no one can understand, I don't like it.

Take BTBAM for instance. I think they are all amazing musicians, and I do like the songs were the singer sings, but 90% of the time I can't understand a word he saying.

Nothing against people who do like that though. It's just not my thing.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Personally, I don't "get" music when it comes to lyrics. Many songs have lyrics that seem nonsensical and illogical to me (especially Lady Gaga sh*t that I keep hearing).

I listen to whatever makes me feel good.
Maybe they're all sociopaths who are incapable of emotions?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I find it hard to comprehend but my friend is a huge film person and I just don't watch movies. But then again, I understand why he likes it. Some people just aren't in to Art.

chamisul, if Gaga is your example of that then you haven't heard much music lately. A lot of her lyrics make clear or metaphorical sense. Not saying they're the best lyrics but they're coherent for the most part. There are definitely worse people out there.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by frankibo
Just threw some of that in the bin. Where does all this fluff come from?

It's from your T-shirt and your underwear.
People who call it a noise often can't handle noise in general and aren't very good in scoail or public situations I find.
I like to separate it into three sort of groups: casual listeners, half-way listeners and hardcore music fans.

Most people do listen to music, however little but I wouldn't say that they get music. They can enjoy it but I wouldn't say that their listening is at the same level as pretty much everyone here. It's the same for most art forms. I like a good film and what not but I don't watch too much and I don't slave over it like I do with music.

Then you get the sort of half-way people... the kind that listen to music that's a bit different but never really try and actually delve just a bit deeper. Might play an instrument but not really care too much about it.

Then we have hardcore music fans (and I don't mean the genre hardcore). The cream of the crop. This post is getting stupid, we are just the best. We appreciate it more, and we have a better knowledge of it. Sucks to be any other dickhead.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by whalepudding
They probably hear it, understand it intuitively, but don't see why a noise that goes up and down and sounds sad/happy/angry/whatever is a good thing. That's fine. I don't watch as many films or play as many video games as most people.

how do you type? i can't imagine you at one given point not headbanging furiously. i also see you as the guy in your avatar, i can't really imagine any thing touching sapience about you.

sorry, whalepudding appreciation post
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by isabiggles
I like to separate it into three sort of groups: casual listeners, half-way listeners and hardcore music fans.

Most people do listen to music, however little but I wouldn't say that they get music. They can enjoy it but I wouldn't say that their listening is at the same level as pretty much everyone here. It's the same for most art forms. I like a good film and what not but I don't watch too much and I don't slave over it like I do with music.

Then you get the sort of half-way people... the kind that listen to music that's a bit different but never really try and actually delve just a bit deeper. Might play an instrument but not really care too much about it.

Then we have hardcore music fans (and I don't mean the genre hardcore). The cream of the crop. This post is getting stupid, we are just the best. We appreciate it more, and we have a better knowledge of it. Sucks to be any other dickhead.
I'd say there's grey areas between those three though. I know a girl who loves music and plays an instrument. She loves some songs and is passionate about her instrument but she won't listen super in depth with her music and such.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There's a friend who's in film class, he always asks other people if he should put music over his films or not because he just "doesn't understand why everyone gets freaked out of some orchestrated noise"

it's just the same as you don't enjoy reading, some people don't enjoy music. Different strokes for different people, brah
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
chamisul, if Gaga is your example of that then you haven't heard much music lately. A lot of her lyrics make clear or metaphorical sense.

Metaphorical sense to what? The only metaphor I ever understood from any of her craptastic lyrics was "disco stick", and that one was blatantly obvious. Then again, Gaga herself doesn't make any sense so why am I even asking lol.

Unless it's blatantly obvious, I won't get it.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'd say there's grey areas between those three though. I know a girl who loves music and plays an instrument. She loves some songs and is passionate about her instrument but she won't listen super in depth with her music and such.

Well yeah obviously, it's just easier to group it like that. I genuinely don't know anyone (IRL) who is as 'into' music as I am. That may sound arrogant but it's not meant to be a 'I r teh bestest' kind of thing. There's this music blog run by a bunch of hipsters that I know but it's pretty samey and hardly seems to have anything about the music just their fabulously avant-garde style.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Page 1 of 2