Hi all, I have a problem with my Randall RGTC50. When I have any pedals in the line going to the amp input (from my guitar) I get a horrible noise, like a droning sound. The sound is constant, it only disappears when I turn the volume right down on the amp. The pedals I have in the line are an Ibanez WD7 and a Korg DT-10. The amp has a 'high' and 'low' input, and the noise is there with both. Whats going on?
is the wah engaged?

(i mean is the button pressed so it's on, not if it's about to get married to a tuner or anything).
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Lol, and yes, it's on. I tried with just the tuner and just the wah in the line, with the same results. I don't get this noise with any other amp :/
Quote by Bidley
Hi all, I have a problem with my Randall RGTC50. When I have any pedals in the line going to the amp input (from my guitar) I get a horrible noise, like a droning sound. The sound is constant, it only disappears when I turn the volume right down on the amp. The pedals I have in the line are an Ibanez WD7 and a Korg DT-10. The amp has a 'high' and 'low' input, and the noise is there with both. Whats going on?

Hey man, check all the leads going from your guitar ->pedals -> amp. It might just be normal amp hum which can be easy eliminated by using a boss noise supressor. Also check try just plugging your guitar into another amp, and try using your amp with another guitar, either can be the cause.

Have fun!
depress the wah to turn it off.

report back.
I tried turning the wah off, turning the tuner off, I tried only having one or the other in the chain. The only way I can not get noise is to plug my guitar directly into the amp. I don't have this problem with my other amp.
Also, it's not a normal amp hum. It's a noise similar to the jack being unplugged and touching metal.
well then it's clear it's something in the chain. try to isolate cables by using them one by one to connect your guitar directly to your amp. that way you should be able to isolate the bad one, if it's a cable. if they are all fine, it's one of the pedals. put them in the chain one by one and repeat until the little noise maker is found.
Ok, think I've isolated the problem. I have an effects chain in my loop to, which is this:

FX send >Boss NS2 > Ibanez Chorus > Small Stone > Looper send > Boss GE7 > Ibanez Delay > Looper return > FX return

Now, these, plus the tuner and wah in the front are all powered by the same One Spot. When I unplug the chorus from the power, the noise stops. The noise also stops if I have no tuner or wah plugged in. The noise stops when I unplug the chorus WITH the tuner and wah connected. So it sounds like it's the chorus. I tried all the daisy-chain connections, no difference. I tried the chorus with a separate power supply, no difference. Tried the wah and tuner with separate power supplies, no change. I tried powering the chorus from the NS2, no difference. Dodgey pedal? Is it sucking too much power? Or something else?
Quote by Bidley
Ok, think I've isolated the problem. I have an effects chain in my loop to, which is this:

FX send >Boss NS2 > Ibanez Chorus > Small Stone > Looper send > Boss GE7 > Ibanez Delay > Looper return > FX return

Now, these, plus the tuner and wah in the front are all powered by the same One Spot. When I unplug the chorus from the power, the noise stops. The noise also stops if I have no tuner or wah plugged in. The noise stops when I unplug the chorus WITH the tuner and wah connected. So it sounds like it's the chorus. I tried all the daisy-chain connections, no difference. I tried the chorus with a separate power supply, no difference. Tried the wah and tuner with separate power supplies, no change. I tried powering the chorus from the NS2, no difference. Dodgey pedal? Is it sucking too much power? Or something else?

Id try using a seperate power supply for the pedals in the loop.
I use to have problems with noise from my one spot, I bought a bbe supa charger and no more problems.
On another note the one spot can create alot of noise by itself, if its found to be the one spot maybe invest in a pedal power.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Bidley

well that would have been good information in the op.

Quote by Bidley
Tried the wah and tuner with separate power supplies, no change.

I tried separate power supplies, no difference. The only constant is the chorus. The noise remains even if I unplug all the other pedals in the loop and leave only the chorus on.
Quote by gregs1020
well that would have been good information in the op.

Sorry dude, I didn't think it was important as I thought the issue was with the pedals going into the front of the amp.
no big deal, good luck.
Also, I discovered that disconnecting then reconnecting the power to any of my pedals in my fx loop turns the chorus on and off. Is this normal?
Yeah this happened to me when i plugged my loop and in-line pedals with the same power supply... but when i powered them with separate power units the noise disappeared... But if you found which pedal doesn't like sharing power... you can work at minimising it. Try running off batteries.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Like I've said, this doesn't happen with my other amp, so I doubt it's a power supply thing.

So I did some more investigating. I pressed the "fx level" button - no difference, except it made a very loud horrible noise a little less/more loud. I plugged everything in the fx loop - fine, no noise. Plugged everything in the front of the amp - fine, no noise. Removed pedals and replaced them one by one - noise with every one. Removed the tuner and wah, one by one, in the front of the amp - noise with every one. So this leads me to believe that my amp simply doesn't like having pedals in the fx loop and front at the same time. WTF.
Quote by Bidley
Like I've said, this doesn't happen with my other amp, so I doubt it's a power supply thing.

So I did some more investigating. I pressed the "fx level" button - no difference, except it made a very loud horrible noise a little less/more loud. I plugged everything in the fx loop - fine, no noise. Plugged everything in the front of the amp - fine, no noise. Removed pedals and replaced them one by one - noise with every one. Removed the tuner and wah, one by one, in the front of the amp - noise with every one. So this leads me to believe that my amp simply doesn't like having pedals in the fx loop and front at the same time. WTF.

Not gunna lie... this sounds EXACTLY like a power issue. Give batteries a try and i'm 95% sure that'll work. Your other amps may have inbuilt noise gates, or a high tolerence to power interference, or the gain not as high. It sounds like if you power ur fx loop and in-line fx separatly this'll fix the problem. (Plug them into different power sockets on your wall).

But sometimes you're destined for noise, my polytune makes noise whenever it's on, luckily it doesn't have to be on all the time and if i switch to a clean channel you can't hear it. So plainly, some pedal's don't like each other.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
^Indeed

If youre running off the same daisy chain power supply for effects in front of the amp and in the FX loop you will get ground loop problems, 50/60 cycle hum, caused by having more than one route to the ground. You need a seperate power supply or batteries for the pedals in teh FX loop.
You guys were right. I powered the two chains separately and yeah, no noise. In order to save face (which I've already failed at, lol) I thought I had already done this, but obviously all the fiddling around had me confused.

Cheers for your help guys!

EDIT: Also, this was exclusive to my combo amp, as my half stack has a parallel loop, and the combo a series loop, so the noise was much more prominent with the combo.
Last edited by Bidley at Apr 30, 2011,