Hey all.

I twisted my finger in school.
And I play like 40% of my day.
I just tried to play guitar with my picking hand but it doesn't work.
And playing with my thumb and index finger only still hurts.
So any fun excersises to improve anything of my guitar skills except theory.
I'm confused. Is your finger like broken, And permanently twisted? Or are you just saying it hurts?
If it's broken and permanently twisted, do not take any advice from UG, go to your doctor.
If you just twisted it in school, and nothing is seriously wrong but your finger is sore, I think you should be fine.

EDIT:try some tapping licks that dont involve your hurt finger.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
do not take any advice from UG, go to your doctor.

That right there is crazy talk
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
The only exercise you should be doing is not using that hand/finger. If what you are doing hurts its only going to injure you further. Don't play until its better. Take it from a bio major.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by gavk
can someone please stop this guy making threads?

Can you stop being rude and try to answer his question?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
I'm confused. Is your finger like broken, And permanently twisted? Or are you just saying it hurts?
If it's broken and permanently twisted, do not take any advice from UG, go to your doctor.
If you just twisted it in school, and nothing is seriously wrong but your finger is sore, I think you should be fine.

EDIT:try some tapping licks that dont involve your hurt finger.

It's has swollen up and I can't really move it.
Quote by Zamorak
The only exercise you should be doing is not using that hand/finger. If what you are doing hurts its only going to injure you further. Don't play until its better. Take it from a bio major.

It's all swollen up and hurts when I move it too far.
When I was basketballing I wanted to catch the ball and the ball shot at my middle finger, not anything hard, but enough to get the damage done.
We only have 1 cold pack and now it isnt cold anymore.
Is this anything serious?
It's similair to when I was catching a ball from 3 floors and it shot at my ringfinger.
It went way.
You probably just jammed it and it'll go away in a couple of days. Just keep icing it and take some advil or whatever and lay off the guitar for a bit. If it doesn't get any better, get a doctor to take a look at it.
Quote by Keth
This would be a great time to learn theory or compose something.

Right about that.
Im going to write out dream, my acoustic song.
Actually I have a bit of perfect pitch so I guess I can write some of it.
Yeah, just stop playing until your finger heals - you don't want to make it worse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sean0913
He can't be stopped. There is no stopping him.

Sean

NOOOO!!!

fine, fine i'll answer... read a theory book! now is a great time to try and get your head around the theoretical concepts while you let your finger recover. that's be my plan anyway.
Quote by gavk
NOOOO!!!

fine, fine i'll answer... read a theory book! now is a great time to try and get your head around the theoretical concepts while you let your finger recover. that's be my plan anyway.

The only thing is that I don't have money for a theory book and if I've ordered it now, my finger would already be fine again.
Quote by liampje
Hey all.

I twisted my finger in school.
And I play like 40% of my day.
I just tried to play guitar with my picking hand but it doesn't work.
And playing with my thumb and index finger only still hurts.
So any fun excersises to improve anything of my guitar skills except theory.

Here is a fun exercise.

take a break & let it heal.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by liampje
The only thing is that I don't have money for a theory book and if I've ordered it now, my finger would already be fine again.

Hurt one of your other fingers. This will give you more time for the book to arrive.
Or here's an idea...
I know it might be really tough to understand...

Learn theory... GASP as you play guitar!
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Jehannum
Hurt one of your other fingers. This will give you more time for the book to arrive.

Never will do that...
Quote by Jehannum

Quote by liampje
It's has swollen up and I can't really move it.

Honestly, if your finger is swollen up I'd say take A break for awhile. And I'm confused, why is everyone saying "oh someone stop this guy from making threads"? Do you make a ton of crappy threads or something? Haha I'm not being an ass, I'm generally curious.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Same thing happened to me... in January. It still isn't back to normal, but I can move it fine now.

Odds are that you jammed it bad. If it doesn't heal in about a week or two, you should start playing again. I used it as a little bit of "physical therapy", if you will. It hurt to play, but I did it anyways. It helped me get a little bit of movement back in my finger faster than otherwise. Just don't go overboard and start doing some insane finger picking. The smaller the movement, the better. Once you get it warmed up it'll bend easier.

Also, keep your finger splinted and elevated (pointing up) when not in use. You want the blood OUT of there as fast as possible. I actually slept with it on top of my pillow Massage and squeeze the blood out of there as often as you want to. Depending on how bad the jam is it'll be awhile before you get ALL the swelling down (like I said, mine is still swollen from January, I can just move it fine now). If you want/need it, I can post a pic of my finger for comparison or whatevs.

And for theory? http://musictheory.net
Quote by liampje
Ok, anyone have some interesting links on theory?

I'm supporting www.musictheory.net

And please, please, start from the start. You have some massive holes in your understanding of the major and minor scales that should be addressed at some point. Like now.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
musictheory.net

lessons and columns here on ug
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Same thing happened to me... in January. It still isn't back to normal, but I can move it fine now.

Odds are that you jammed it bad. If it doesn't heal in about a week or two, you should start playing again. I used it as a little bit of "physical therapy", if you will. It hurt to play, but I did it anyways. It helped me get a little bit of movement back in my finger faster than otherwise. Just don't go overboard and start doing some insane finger picking. The smaller the movement, the better. Once you get it warmed up it'll bend easier.

Also, keep your finger splinted and elevated (pointing up) when not in use. You want the blood OUT of there as fast as possible. I actually slept with it on top of my pillow Massage and squeeze the blood out of there as often as you want to. Depending on how bad the jam is it'll be awhile before you get ALL the swelling down (like I said, mine is still swollen from January, I can just move it fine now). If you want/need it, I can post a pic of my finger for comparison or whatevs.

And for theory? http://musictheory.net

Not to be a debbie downer or anything but a persisting problem like that is just that: a medical problem. You aren't helping yourself by doing any of that. Your fingers shouldn't need to be warmed up in the manner you described. Sure, it'll take a little bit of nursing back, but if you jammed your finger 5 months ago and its still hurting, then something is wrong...

Additionally, if its still swollen now, do yourself a favor and go see a doctor.
Quote by Zamorak
Not to be a debbie downer or anything but a persisting problem like that is just that: a medical problem. You aren't helping yourself by doing any of that. Your fingers shouldn't need to be warmed up in the manner you described. Sure, it'll take a little bit of nursing back, but if you jammed your finger 5 months ago and its still hurting, then something is wrong...

Additionally, if its still swollen now, do yourself a favor and go see a doctor.

No, no, no... it doesn't hurt, is what I was getting at. It is, however, swollen around the middle join of my left middle finger. I have full movement in it now.

And for the record, I did see a doctor. One of the athletic trainers at my school thought I had broken it so I went to see (it's my left hand and I'm about to go to college for guitar... can't have a broken finger ) and they said it was just jammed bad. I might have torn a ligament, but as long as I kept it in the splint a lot it would heal fine in a month or so.

The warmup manner I described was playing... It helped me get movement in my finger back faster so
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
Honestly, if your finger is swollen up I'd say take A break for awhile. And I'm confused, why is everyone saying "oh someone stop this guy from making threads"? Do you make a ton of crappy threads or something? Haha I'm not being an ass, I'm generally curious.

u, yeah basically! he just makes threads about stuff he doesn't get, then ignores any advice people give him and make excuses, he asks about 15 more questions per thread halfway through and then gets mad when people don't answer them, and then to top it all, when you don't give him the answer he wants to hear, he'll make a new thread about the same damn thing a day later. without being a dick to him

no offence liam
Quote by DiminishedFifth
No, no, no... it doesn't hurt, is what I was getting at. It is, however, swollen around the middle join of my left middle finger. I have full movement in it now.

And for the record, I did see a doctor. One of the athletic trainers at my school thought I had broken it so I went to see (it's my left hand and I'm about to go to college for guitar... can't have a broken finger ) and they said it was just jammed bad. I might have torn a ligament, but as long as I kept it in the splint a lot it would heal fine in a month or so.

The warmup manner I described was playing... It helped me get movement in my finger back faster so

Haha thats good! I was going to say, ligament damage takes A LONG time to heal compared to most other tissue types. I didn't want you to permanently damage something. Glad to hear you had it looked at.
Time for bloodletting! Make a cut on your wrist and let the blood drain for an hour, then apply garlic.

What? I'm just adding up the previous replies to make a good advice.. like I always do.
I know Lucifer so well I call him by his first name...I say, "Hey Lou!"