I have recently been trying more darker heavier sounding riffs in drop D, to try and make the darker ive been using stuff like inverted power chords and pinched harmonics, but are there any other ways so sound heavier without drop tuning lower? Also i used alot of palm muting between normaly played power chords
Depends, heavier in what way?

You could go slow and sludgy in the doom metal vein, chaotic single note heavy like in death metal or kvlt and frostbitten like in black metal; which one do you want?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, do you want heavier or darker? Big difference. If you're looking for darker, make your riffs sound more dissonant; get unconventional, atonal
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

It always helps me to write 'darker' by adding more minor notes. This annoys the crap out of my fionce. She's a country girl and always wants bright sounds. She says my songs mostly have a dark sound.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by mattkendell
If you're looking for darker, make your riffs sound more dissonant; get unconventional, atonal

this, and heavy will come with slower tempos, really drag out the notes you play
Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Apr 26, 2011,
A simple trick is to switch your natural minor riffs to harmonic minor. That's just a fancy way of saying "sharpen the 7th note".

For example, a natural E-minor scale is:

E - F# - G - A - B - C - D - E

The harmonic minor scale is:

E - F# - G - A - B - C - D# - E

Try it; it gives it a "spooky" sound.
tritones
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Try not to use straight 8ths and 16ths as much, add some gallops and odd rhythms in there. And like Asprague said, Harmonic Minor's great. Diminished chords sound really dirgy too IMO.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
Try not to use straight 8ths and 16ths as much, add some gallops and odd rhythms in there. And like Asprague said, Harmonic Minor's great. Diminished chords sound really dirgy too IMO.

agreed. It's pretty much all about diminished chords. Bend notes in your riffs too, I find that can make some pretty ugly sounds if you stick to the low end.

Also, work on your reach and try to form chords with shapes as far as your fingers can stretch. Skronk.
I think you need to drop your tuning a bit more.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

You might want to try tuning down abit, like to B or A, maybye even F or G.
Try some Black-Metal style trem picking, and some sludgey palm muting.
Effect's wise maybye add some reverb to create atmosphere.
Reverb could come from an effects processor or something.
METAL!
Use the VII chord in progressions, use diminished scales (half-whole preferably as it is more "dark" and less jazzy) and employ chromaticism.
My Equipment:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez A200E
Peavey Vypyr 60 w/Sanpera II
Morpheus Droptune

Use drone notes.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by learningplayer
tritones

this is all you need me thinks
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
drop c... sounds darker but not bad. IMO i think it its the perfect median because drop b just sounds too muddy.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by whyze250f
drop c... sounds darker but not bad. IMO i think it its the perfect median because drop b just sounds too muddy.

My guitar sounds fine in drop G
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
One thing you could also do is changing your EQ. I often find myself lowering the bass frequencies when I'm playing my Squier Strat which I've put in D Standard because it sounds too heavy for when I'm playing solo's or playing clean stuff.
im not good with theory and such but these kinda chords have been working well for me:

for e.g

D-5-----
A-3------
D-5-----

or

D--8----
A--5----
D--5----