Sup guys

Currently working on a 5 string bass and im a bit stuck when it comes to the neck (this is my first time building a bass)

first off will be able to use the same type truss rod as for an 8 string guitar??

when i made an 8 string i used 2 truss rods at a 29 inch scale

scale length leads me to my next point, my mate has a 6 string which is a 32.5 inch scale.

Would i be correct in assuming that, like adding more strings to a guitar, you must increase the scale length to properly internate the low end?

if so would any truss rods fit say a 31.5 inch scale?

any help would be great
cheers!
If you're looking at making a 5 string bass, you'll either want a 34" scale or 35".
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Stewmac do a 24" long truss rod suitable for basses

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjustable_truss_rods/Hot_Rod_Truss_Rods/4mm_Allen_Nut_Hot_Rod.html

Quote by mr7string
Would i be correct in assuming that, like adding more strings to a guitar, you must increase the scale length to properly internate the low end?
No, scale length affects the distance between the frets, and the tension in the strings,

when the tension of the strings is low, and you play low notes, you end up with a muddy sound, so you want to have a fairly long scale length to counter this 35" is fairly normal.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
34" is a good scale for a low B string. 35" is better because its a little tighter... i'd never go shorter than 34", though. I like 34" because it's easier to finger (huh huh... i said finger) long fret reaches than a 35".

for a 5 string bass, a single truss rod is fine. if you're afraid, use graphite reinforcement rods alongside of the rod

the 7 string bass i made is a 34" scale and it sounds great. This has dual truss rods and dual graphite reinforcements in it

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Apr 26, 2011,