About a third of the posts are people putting their own songs and they just end up getting locked. Telling people to read the sticky doesn't work since there's always someone new who will do it. You can't really blame them either; it's called "Recordings" not "Recording" which I think does make a difference. We should call this Audio Help or something along those lines and split it from recordings. Just a thought.
Well put your suggestion into the proper forum. Site Suggestions will get you further
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Its more of people just drop in here, don't even look at the content of the forum and post. There are 2 subforums for covers and original recordings and its pretty clear at the top of the page.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I liked it better when it was Riffs & Recordings. Those were the good 'ol days.

What I think the name should be changed to:
Live Sound and Recording or Audio Engineering or Sound Engineering.
I think Live sound should be here rather than GG&A. They get enough traffic already(Too much if you ask me.). The people who have actual knowledge on Live Sound are here. I don't know of any Audio Engineering courses that teach just studio recording. They teach both.
I've been meaning to make a thread in Suggestions about the whole Live Sound thing. Maybe I'll do it tonight.
Anyone who agrees, tell me.
..I was watching my death.
live sound stuff is always welcome here. i typically direct people who are actually interested in live sound to this forum. as opposed to people who just want to buy a cheap PA that is. its been brought up in site feedback before, and thats what i typically say, "it is welcome in the recording forum."

anyone think we should persue a sub forum mostly dedicated to critiqing mixing? while right now that stuff should go in the sub forums, it doesnt always fit or get the recognition it should. no way in hell there will be more than 1 subforum, but if people think it is a good idea, then we can shoot for that.

i would like to hear from a bunch of the regulars on this to see how we/i should approach it with the rest of the staff.
Given that vision, what would I post in "mixing critiques" that I would not post under "original recordings" or "cover recordings"... or vice-versa?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Given that vision, what would I post in "mixing critiques" that I would not post under "original recordings" or "cover recordings"... or vice-versa?

CT

You have a point. Maybe an incomplete song?
To be honest I don't see why mods just don't move the threads instead of locking them. Could just change the forum name from Recordings to Audio Engineering, change to Original Recordings and Mix Feedback, and keep the covers sub forum. Alternatively we could just merge original and covers to one big recordings and mixes sub forum and then leave the main forum for equipment questions, etc.
Quote by Odirunn
To be honest I don't see why mods just don't move the threads instead of locking them.

Then people wouldn't take the time to post in the right place in the future.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

Majority of what I see in those two forums is a Youtube video of a guy playing his guitar and singing, or a band with a cheap 100 dollar video camera playing one of their songs. I'm not saying there isn't any actual recordings with effort put into them, in fact there is quite a few. I don't go on those subforums normally, but when I do this seems the case.

One thing that makes absolutely no sense to me at all,
The Tabs & Chords subforum.
How the hell does that even fit with recording in the least?
It seems more suited to Songwriting or Tab Talk.

Quote by jof1029
live sound stuff is always welcome here. i typically direct people who are actually interested in live sound to this forum. as opposed to people who just want to buy a cheap PA that is. its been brought up in site feedback before, and thats what i typically say, "it is welcome in the recording forum."

I see that GG&A has changed their description. Before it said something about Live Sound being in there.
I think the Live Sound part needs to be shown much more. I suggest changing the name to Live Sound & Recording. It would tell people that Live Sound questions belong here as well(If that wasn't obvious already.).
Quote by axemanchris

CT

This. it's really not that hard to figure out what goes where. take a few seconds to see what the subforums are before you post anything anywhere. that seams like common forum etiquette to me...

Quote by timbit2006
I see that GG&A has changed their description. Before it said something about Live Sound being in there.
I think the Live Sound part needs to be shown much more. I suggest changing the name to Live Sound & Recording. It would tell people that Live Sound questions belong here as well(If that wasn't obvious already.).

personally i prefer this section just being about recording and not bringing in the live sound. they really are two different worlds.
lets keep this to just recording and recording gear.
Quote by sandyman323

personally i prefer this section just being about recording and not bringing in the live sound. they really are two different worlds.
lets keep this to just recording and recording gear.

I strongly disagree.
If you would know about Live Sound in the least, you would realize that you are trying to make the band sound as much like an actual recording as possible. That is your goal. Make it sound good. Most knowledge of Recording can be applied to live sound, where to set the EQ on a bass for the desired sound, making all the drums leveled, EQing vocals, adding effects, EQing guitars ...The list goes on.

As it stands right now, there actually is no forum that advertises Live Sound. Maybe if live sound is a subforum that'd be good. Then there wont be any jumbling of topics and guides. If we got a Live Sound subforum I'd happily write a guide spilling everything I know about Sound Engineering.
My $0.02.

Change the name to "Recording and Sound." I agree that the name "RecordingS" leads people to post their recordings. I agree that a lot of the techniques are similar between recording and live sound. No, not the same, but similar enough that multiple forums would lead to a lot of closed threads for being in the wrong place. Simpler is better.

Combine "original recordings" and "cover songs" into one thread, called something like "mix critiques." I really don't see the point in having two separate threads for this, myself. It also makes it a little more clear that posting your youtube video of you jacking around in your room isn't really appropriate. Sure, post it, but if we establish a culture of people commenting on the mix, then they won't get what they're looking for and not do it again.

Tabs and Chords.... I've never really "gotten" that one. I'm really not sure how it belongs, but I'm not sure I've ever even been there, save for the odd bit of modding for reported posts.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by timbit2006
I strongly disagree.
If you would know about Live Sound in the least, you would realize that you are trying to make the band sound as much like an actual recording as possible. That is your goal. Make it sound good. Most knowledge of Recording can be applied to live sound, where to set the EQ on a bass for the desired sound, making all the drums leveled, EQing vocals, adding effects, EQing guitars ...The list goes on.

As it stands right now, there actually is no forum that advertises Live Sound. Maybe if live sound is a subforum that'd be good. Then there wont be any jumbling of topics and guides. If we got a Live Sound subforum I'd happily write a guide spilling everything I know about Sound Engineering.

I agree with most of that.

i see it as them having enough different needs to make a sub forum more useful (sm57's would actually be a fair suggestion with live sound applications...)

there's different approaches to eq and processing
-dealing with stage noise, feedback, different venue acoustics, and time restraints
different gear
-amps and loudspeakers, consoles, outboard gear
different mics
- more dynamics and different techniques to deal with bleed and feedback.
and just a completely different mindset. yes, you're making it sound good in both cases but getting there is a different story. the studio is more controlled and you can take your time and be picky and get it "just right" while live sound is a lot more thinking on your feet and troubleshooting and working under the clock and dealing with less than perfect mic set ups.

my vote is on a sub forum.
I don't know the specifics of this forum system, but if it's possible to just have subforums under the main forum, without being able to post in the main forum, that would probably go a long way in clearing things up. That way the poster has to choose between "Recording and Mix Feedback" "Live Sound" and then maybe something like "General Production" where questions about equipment or plugins, etc can go.
I reckon there needs to be a dedicated sub forum to something like "Crit my mix" or something atleast along those lines, where people can post mixes theyve done and people ignore the musicality of the recording and just comment on the production.

Countless are the threads that get rejected and closed for being in the 'wrong subforum' when originals just seems to be guitar pro files and dodgy webcam crap.

Idk, but imho it just drives people away from here and over to andy sneap haha :p
Everything owes its existence solely and completely to sound.

Sound is the factor which holds it together.
Quote by axemanchris
My $0.02.

Change the name to "Recording and Sound." I agree that the name "RecordingS" leads people to post their recordings. I agree that a lot of the techniques are similar between recording and live sound. No, not the same, but similar enough that multiple forums would lead to a lot of closed threads for being in the wrong place. Simpler is better.

I would be down for that. it seems like not everyone would be happy with having it compressed into one place, but it might be worth a try for some time.

Quote by axemanchris
Combine "original recordings" and "cover songs" into one thread, called something like "mix critiques." I really don't see the point in having two separate threads for this, myself. It also makes it a little more clear that posting your youtube video of you jacking around in your room isn't really appropriate. Sure, post it, but if we establish a culture of people commenting on the mix, then they won't get what they're looking for and not do it again.

The only issue i see with that is people might take it as a place to only critique mixing, as opposed to the playing and songwriting as well. a good crit of a song should touch on the recording/mixing aspect, the playing aspect, and the writing/arrangement aspect. doesnt work if it is just some dude playing along to a song on youtube or just randomly messing around, but that is still how i envision the way the forum should work. but maybe thats just me. i would like the title of the forum to encompass that though, instead of just focusing on one aspect.

Quote by axemanchris
Tabs and Chords.... I've never really "gotten" that one. I'm really not sure how it belongs, but I'm not sure I've ever even been there, save for the odd bit of modding for reported posts.

CT

i actually see the point of that forum, but i also see that it doesnt quite fit in with the recordings section. its more about showcasing songwriting and getting help with the arrangements of songs. its like the Riffs and Recordings section became the place to showcase and get help on your work, recorded or just written out. with the direction we have going now, doesnt quite fit. but that place has a bunch of regulars and stuff, so i dont think it fair to them to get rid of it.

Quote by sandyman323
I agree with most of that.

i see it as them having enough different needs to make a sub forum more useful (sm57's would actually be a fair suggestion with live sound applications...)

the biggest issue i have with making another subforum is demand. right now we see very minimal demand for a live sound forum. if it gets included with recording and then grows enough to have the demand for its own forum, all for it. but right now i dont see it beign justifiable from that kind of view.

because what all of this comes down to is making the forum better and having clearer places to post things. but for any change we come up with to implement, Chris and I are going to have to go to the rest of the mods and admins and provide reasoning and support for it. if we ask for too many new subforums or things that seem over the top, it will just get denied out of hand. we need something thought through that will work for a good while to come.
I think we should move Original Recording, Tabs & Chords and Covers to its own forum. I mean completely nixing them isn't really an option but it just feels kinda shoved in here. By doing that, it allows a mixing subforum for the Recording board. It would differ from the Originals section as the Originals is for more finished products whereas the Mixing subforums would be more for works in progress looking for help on mixing and such. This would allow for those 3 to have their place to roam while we get a place for mixing feedback.

As for live sound, bring em in. It would make a ton of sense since a lot of things recording related can be applied to live sound and visa versa. Though it may be a little confusing at first, it would be worth it in the long run.

Just my thoughts. We can be the Audio Engineering board or Recording & live sound board.
The only thing I'm really against is the compression of Originals and Covers into one thread. The turnover is REALLY fast in covers, and that might end up burying tons of originals... I thrive on having (Most) of my original recordings throughly vetted by this forum before considering them for a release, and I feel I wouldn't be able to do that, simply by the mass of competing material.