Poll: r-e-s-p-e-c-t
Poll Options
View poll results: r-e-s-p-e-c-t
I respect my elders (whatever that entails)
11 6%
I give respect when earned/deserve, regardless of age
160 82%
I'm mean and hate everyone
23 12%
Voters: 194.
Page 1 of 2
do you think someone being older than you gives them the right to more respect, to more leeway when they start talking crazy?

what about someone younger? do you look down on people for not being mature or "experienced" enough due to their youth?

edit: WHAT IS RESPECT!? I used the word so many times it lost its meaning.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 26, 2011,
Age very rarely means respectable. I'm 17 and i look down on 20-30 year olds who wear trcksuits, talk like preteens and try to be 'ARD.

However, i do take what people younger than me say with a pinch of salt.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I believe respect is earned and is not a given, no matter what age. Generally, I will give people the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason not to though. There may be some inherent respect for those who are much older than me, because in some instances they may have gone through a lot of tough shit to get that age, but as a rule, I won't give someone my respect just because of their age. I don't demand that anyone respect me without earning it from them either. It's a 2 way street. I know plenty of people older than I am that don't deserve it and plenty of people younger than me who do.
no.

experience, knowledge and qualifications deserve respect.

simply by being older you don't deserve any, it's just by chance you happen to be born a few years earlier than someone else.
i hate people who say "respect your elders" because most of the time, they don't deserve any!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
The majority of my customer base are close to meeting Beelzebub. And a lot of them are arseholes, but some are nice. I respect those who don't feel like they deserve respect because of their age.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I give someone older the benefit of the doubt in most cases, because presumably they've been through more than I have.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Beautiful
I give someone older the benefit of the doubt in most cases, because presumably they've been through more than I have.

does this go beyond general politeness? for example, I'd give my seat on a bus to an elder, hold a door open for them and so on, but I wouldn't just sit there as they hurled insults.
Well, kinda yes and kinda no. I'm not gonna respect someone that's a couple years older than me unless they give respect first. You have to earn respect with me. On the other hand, the greatest generation will always have my respect. Regardless of age, if you don't eff with me, my family, or my friends, you'll be okay in my book.
I'm willing to give someone significantly older the benefit of the doubt as far as respect goes, but that doesn't mean they can't lose my respect very quickly.
If your talking about an OAP then yes if your talking about a middle aged prick then no.
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
Sure, you should be respectful, but to everyone.
Old people should be respected because you'll probably want to be respected when you're old an withered.
But obviously you'll lose that respect as soon as you're being insultive or a general nuisance.

Experience earns respect, not age. Age does not give experience.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I do my best to respect people when I don't know them. If I get to know them and they prove they earn it, they keep it. They may lose my respect, but I try not to disrespect anyone. With some people, that can be a little tough...
This is regardless of age.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by MakinLattes
does this go beyond general politeness? for example, I'd give my seat on a bus to an elder, hold a door open for them and so on, but I wouldn't just sit there as they hurled insults.

I'm the same way I think...I start them out "higher on the scale" you could say than a 10 year old kid, but of course they can still lose my respect.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Yes and no.
Sometimes I feel respect should be earned.
I also think that people that have had the balls to trudge through life up without giving up deserve my respect too.
Hopefully if I'm old, I'll do something worthwhile and be respected too.
I'm rather tired of self-righteous older people who go around acting like they know everything. Otherwise rather unintelligent people suddenly because wise sages once they reach a certain age? Hah.

Some of my friends are way smarter and wiser than many older people are.

I'm much more willing to give respect to those who don't have a sense of respect entitlement. As a rule, I'm generally kind to everyone equally, but just because you're old doesn't mean I'm going to take everything you say like gospel. Shouldn't it be enough that I'm nice?
Respect is earned. Manners, on the other hand, should be a given.

Although giving up your seat for some people/holding doors open should be done by everyone, but rarely is.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Respect my senility!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by LastSlayerKing
Although giving up your seat for some people/holding doors open should be done by everyone, but rarely is.

A huge game of Reverse Musical Chairs?

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Respect should generally be given to everyone until they prove themselves not worth it. And even then, it'd probably be better to treat them with respect still.
I would say that a distinction should be made here:

Respect = Treating others equally with a sense of dignity.

Respect for elders = Somehow acting like they're better than you and high on the food chain just because they've been on Earth longer.

I respect everyone equally, (except those who don't deserve it... murderers, rapists, liars, etc.) but the "respect for elders" mentality is bullshit and it's degrading.
Quote by nincompoop
I would say that a distinction should be made here:

Respect = Treating others equally with a sense of dignity.

Respect for elders = Somehow acting like they're better than you and high on the food chain just because they've been on Earth longer.

I respect everyone equally, (except those who don't deserve it... murderers, rapists, liars, etc.) but the "respect for elders" mentality is bullshit and it's degrading.

I'm not sure how it's degrading...

If I knew a 60 year old rapist, of course I wouldn't have any respect for him.

But people who fought in World War II, people who worked in a factory for 40 years to take care of their family, women who raised 6 children to be responsible adults, etc., in my opinion, deserve to have doors opened/seats given/more respect than some normal teenager.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
I selected the second because in principle I think that's what people should do, even though everyone knows I should've picked the last one.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Nah. It's a held over idea from a long time ago when being old meant you were a badass because most people didn't live an incredibly long time. Any fuckwit can survive to old-age nowadays.
Check out my band Disturbed
No. if an elderly person is a prick, they're a prick. respect is earned, and goes both ways.
Last edited by shmeegle at Apr 29, 2011,
No. I do, however, give my seat to elderly people on the bus, but that's mainly because despite being 18 I still harbour the childish idea that standing on the bus is cool.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 29, 2011,
I respect people unless they give me reason not to (this includes old people). Defaulting to disrespecting people is a pathetic, juvenile way to go through life.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Quote by shmeegle
No. if an eldery person is a prick, they're a prick.

This exactly.
There should be an "other" option because I respect everyone, no matter their age. No one has to earn my respect, the simple fact that they are a living, breathing human being is enough to get my respect. I am beneath or above no one else, therefore not respecting someone immediately is downright wrong.

That doesn't mean respect cannot be lost but it has to come down to knowing someone is disrespecting, showing no sense whatsoever for those feelings and repeated attempts. Other than that, you should be respected automatically.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
No. Some old people are just assholes.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
only if the elderly are in a position of authority, in which case they also deserve obedience.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If something dumb or incorrect is said then no. no matter what age im not going to just agree with them. So many people judge and stereotype these days. that respect has to be earned. Not that you have to be an ass about it but not just instantly give respect.
I think people of any age deserve respect, but obviously people are going to treat their peers differently to say, their teachers, or their boss. I think rudeness is usually uncalled for though, and putting people down because of an age difference is a real annoyance. It happens a lot on forums, sadly, but less in real life I find, simply because different age groups tend to mix less in real life...and once everyone's grown up, it becomes less of an issue (from what I've noticed, anyway; it may be very different in other countries/cultures, I don't know).

Anyway...I generally try to treat everyone with respect, unless they're being a real troll, in which case it's often best to just ignore them.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
No way. One of the things that has always pissed me off is when an older person discredits my opinion because of my age-- the "you'll understand stand when you're older" thing. While, yes, maturity does provide a different view on certain things, it doesn't mean that an opinion is any less meaningful because it comes from a young person.

Also, people assume that with age comes maturity and that's not true at all. I was more mature at 14 than some adults I've come across.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I respect my elders I just feel it's an obligation because they've been around longer.

EDIT:
Quote by StewieSwan
Nah. It's a held over idea from a long time ago when being old meant you were a badass because most people didn't live an incredibly long time. Any fuckwit can survive to old-age nowadays.

I just realized the quote in your signature is from my thread.
Last edited by Ryan Rage at Apr 29, 2011,
Respect is earned and that's an absolute, but i will always defer to seniors.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
maybe 4 or 5 generations ago when living to a ripe old age was actually an accomplishment, but with medical science today, any idiot can live to be old. We are really fighting Darwin as the only species that attempts to preserve the shallow end of the gene pool.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Page 1 of 2