Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II Bass Head

Ampeg SVT3 pro w/roadcase

Can get both close to same price. Know nothing about bass gear. My bassist is ready to purchase, We play metal

myspace.com/brutalstl
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
You can't really go wrong with either head, to be honest.

They both have their own sounds, the GK and Ampeg sound, respectively. So your bassist should try them out to see which tone they preffer more.

If the Ampeg has a roadcase with it, it may just be a nicer investment.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
hmm ok thanks...

So would you know what bands use which???

Like these guys all use H&K

and these guys all use Ampeg?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
They're both good. I'm pretty much a GK fanboy though. In my experience, Ampeg will give you a lot of versatility while GK produces a sound which only GK can produce. It just depends on what you like best. They'll both do a good job no matter what.
I'M A COWBOY
I played through Ampeg for 9 years. Got rid of it to buy my current rig: G-K 1001RB-II and an SWR Workingman's Tower (8x10). My current rig sounds much cleaner and will make your BONES vibrate! When I crank it up, shit starts falling from the ceiling. No exaggeration. I have no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat. I love my rig and would recommend it to absolutely anyone.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by maddnotez
hmm ok thanks...

So would you know what bands use which???

Like these guys all use H&K

and these guys all use Ampeg?

What bands are you looking at? What bassists? A lot of bassists aren't particularly loyal to one brand or model of amp the way guitarists are. Billy Sheehan was a died-in-the-wool Ampeg endorser and he now endorses Hartke. I believe Duff McKagan used GK for much of his career, but I don't know if he's still using them. David Ellefson was a Peavey endorser and helped design the Tour series amps, but I don't know if he's using them anymore. He dumped his Peavey Zodiac bass for a Jackson Concert signature bass recently. Bassists tend to use whatever suits them at the moment.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists tend to use whatever suits them at the moment.

This.

Also, OP... while we say things like GK sound, and Ampeg sound... what we REALLY mean, is GK 800rb sound, and 70's Ampeg SVT sound. The 700rb-ii and SVT-3pro both sound a bit different than their iconic bretheren.

Honestly, again, you can't go wrong with either amp. Try them out... we can reccomend things all day, but it's your own ears that should have the final say.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."