So currently waging a mental war with myself as to which of these would best suit my style. What would be your opinion? I've played both the Mesa and peavey, i found the Peavey lacked at low volumes, but I've heard it cuts through better than the mesa and Engl.
I mainly play Parkway Drive, ADTR, BFMV kinda stuff, i know they've all used Mesa and peavey at some point, but the Engl sounds amazing, what do you think?
Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
although i own a 6505
i love mesa dual recto
but
i'l take the axe fx over all
the best of all worlds
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
I liked the Peavey when I played it and those bands are pretty much in the vein of that "5150/6505" style of high gain. It's pretty much up to you, but if you want to cut, I'd say Peavey. Can you not try all of them to see which one you like best???
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
i've tried peavey and a mesa. but no shop near here has all three in stock at the same time. The mesa i found was quite muddy, and the peavey like i said seemed to lack at low volumes. I want to try an engl, and will probably do so this weekend. Know anywhere in London that stock them well? don't worry about price, i can scan ebay
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Quote by vivalaheerey
So currently waging a mental war with myself as to which of these would best suit my style. What would be your opinion? I've played both the Mesa and peavey, i found the Peavey lacked at low volumes, but I've heard it cuts through better than the mesa and Engl.
I mainly play Parkway Drive, ADTR, BFMV kinda stuff, i know they've all used Mesa and peavey at some point, but the Engl sounds amazing, what do you think?

For at home? For live? Where do you live? Mesa is very overpriced in Europe. Also look at the ENGL Savage instead of the powerball imo.

I'd go for the 6505 for those sounds, but like you said, not very good at low volumes.
WTLTL 2011
for a mixture, i'm not gigging currently, just recording and writing in my room. is the savage that much better?
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Quote by maddnotez
Seriously?

Engl by far....

Huge Mesa fanboy here and I'd also go with the Engl. Those amps are phenomenal. Not only do they have great tone, they're crystal clear. More clear than the Rectifier in my opinion. Both have fantastic tones (can't go wrong with any of these amps), but I feel like the Powerball has the tone and clarity that I really value in an amp. I'd probably own one now if I weren't so happy with my current tone.

I'd go with the Rectifier ahead of the 6505 too. I like 6505's, I just prefer a few amps over them, tone-wise. And I love the Rectifier sound..

I've gigged with both a 6505 and my Single Rectifier. Neither was better than the other at cutting through the mix. They were both fine.

Side note - I once gigged in stereo with my Rectifier on one side (Mesa 4x12 cab) and the 6505 (Marshall 1960A cab) on the other side of the stage.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Apr 26, 2011,
i just listened to the Savage, think it sounds thin compared to powerball. I just wanat something thats massive live and recorded. I am leaning between the Peavey and Engl atm. anymroe pros and cons?
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
For what your after, the 6505.

I have used both ENGL and Peavey amps, if you want brutality and pure flat out power and aggression, the 6505 is the way to go.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by vivalaheerey
i just listened to the Savage, think it sounds thin compared to powerball. I just wanat something thats massive live and recorded. I am leaning between the Peavey and Engl atm. anymroe pros and cons?

The savage flat and thin compared to a powerball?

At low volumes ENGL > Peavey. But for pure metalcore sound at higher volumes the peavey will win.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 26, 2011,
the peavey would be the most bang for your buck. if you need versatility though, i'd probably go for the mesa or engl depending on your tastes. rectifier clean tones are way better than 5150 clean tones imo. and also as has been said, the 5150 sounds waay better once you crank it. i've found that you dont need to turn it up much to hear improvement though, post gain at around 1-1.5 sounds pretty damn good
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The engl's are going to sound leagues better at low volumes.

The savage is much thicker and more saturated than the powerball. The powerball has more low end and less character.

The savage is all in your face lower mids. It has that huge chunky sound, but cuts. The lead channel is my favorite out of any amp I have owned.
/rig
Ok thanks for the advice guys! Just heard some more demo's of the savage and totally agree it has more clarity and is tighter. out of interest, do you think possibly a EQ and a compressor could tighten up the 6505? and does anyone know any stores in london that stock both as i want a direct comparison. Cheers!
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
The 6505 can be tight with a boost / EQ. Its the best heavy tone for the price IMO.
/rig