Been playing for quite some time now, and have more than enough prowess to be playing shows with our band and I am having trouble deciding on a new stack that would be ideal for straightup metalcore shredster tunes in a live situation. The 6505 head along with the cab is sadly too expensive for my budget so I was wondering of any feedback anyone might have of playing the 5150 head with the valveking 412 straight cab. I could go with the valveking head, however I like the features of the 5150 and the tone a lot. I have yet to play through a valveking head, though. Any suggestions???
Go with a 6505 and buy a 212 cab with v30's - because you're low on budget. It's obviously that 412 > 212 but that's what you've got to deal with. 212 would do just fine for normal gigs + easier to carry around. But don't buy valveking 412 cab because you won't do justice to the amp.
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
Yeah I have a friend who plays a 5150 into an Orange with V30's, and I've heard it through my Marshall 1960B as well, and they both blow away the Valveking I played it through. It's just muddy and muffled, not a good cabinet. Straight cabinets I found have deeper bass as well when I compared them side by side. If you want the beefy tone the 6505 can get you you gotta pair it with a good cab man.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
I run my 5150 through a Carvin Legacy cab with v30's. I got the cab for like 300 bucks brand new.
Quote by samhell
I run my 5150 through a Carvin Legacy cab with v30's. I got the cab for like 300 bucks brand new.

Where did you manage to get that :OO?
6505/5150 = v30's all the way , 1960 marshalls come along with peavey nicely and lets face that they come very cheap if you buy used they're good for low budget... But if you save a little more.. you can get awesomeness
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Quote by msoban
Go with a 6505 and buy a 212 cab with v30's - because you're low on budget. It's obviously that 412 > 212 but that's what you've got to deal with. 212 would do just fine for normal gigs + easier to carry around. But don't buy valveking 412 cab because you won't do justice to the amp.

4x12s are not "better" than 2x12s. It comes down to size/transportability and bass response you want from a cabinet. The 4x12 is generally bassier from having one large enclosure + 4x speakers, while the 2x12 is a smaller enclosure but less speakers so you get a 'tighter' or more resposive, fast bass response.
Quote by CantShred
4x12s are not "better" than 2x12s. It comes down to size/transportability and bass response you want from a cabinet. The 4x12 is generally bassier from having one large enclosure + 4x speakers, while the 2x12 is a smaller enclosure but less speakers so you get a 'tighter' or more resposive, fast bass response.

you can talk more and more but I'll let you know that they are better.
You can't get that HUGE , full sound with 212... And let's not talk about the 'oomph' I simply love it ... so yeah that's why 412 > 212 but all thing has its downsize that's for sure.
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
You get that HUGE sound because the cabinet is around chest level - if you raised/mic the 2x12, it will get a similar sound. There is no 'better'.

It's just preference at that point. Better would be saying a Mesa 4x12 is better than a Peavey 5150 cabinet. This is a true statement because the Mesa has higher quality speakers and building materials, and gives a fuller sound. whereas the 5150 cabinet is made of cheap particle board and has low quality stock speakers that don't even achieve a well rounded sound.
Quote by msoban
Where did you manage to get that :OO?
6505/5150 = v30's all the way , 1960 marshalls come along with peavey nicely and lets face that they come very cheap if you buy used they're good for low budget... But if you save a little more.. you can get awesomeness

I walked into the Carvin shop and said hey I want one of those cabs and pointed to it.
Fair enough ;D
Quote by Kalo Hanaka