Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, a couple of months ago I had a problem with my Xbox where it wouldn't turn on for ages. I'd do a lot of plugging and unplugging the power cables until it switched on again. About 2 weeks after it started I found out I had to take the disc out before turning it off for it to turn back on immediately again.

This worked well for another couple of weeks until even without the disc in it wouldn't turn on. after some more plugging and unplugging I decided to blow inside the vents in case it was dusty and actually give it a shake. After shaking it again it worked.

This was great (again) until last week I left my Fallout 3 disc in after turning it off, and now it won't turn on again. I would resort to giving it a shake again but I'm worried that it will damage my disc, and I really don't want to risk this since Fallout 3 is one of my favourite games.

Any advice?

If it helps, I've had my Xbox for about 3 years now, got one red light, but that was fixed, it hasn't had any red lights since and the power box thing's light is glowing orange, so there shouldn't be a problem with the power flow.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
honestly just sounds like the power is pushed in far enough.

even broken xbox's show lights.

Also inb4 get a ps3.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
If by shaking it and inserting/ removing discs allowed it to turn on then the power supply inside must have a loose connection to the motherboard in one spot or multiple spots....if ur good with that type of thing id say to open it up and check that all connections are on snug. Just make sure to ground urself first. Good luck
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Send it away and get it fixed. If it's younger than 3 years and you still have the receipt the place you bought it from has to fix or replace it even if it's out of warranty.

They wont admit that they do this unless you mention the EU directive though.
Quote by malmsteensolo
Take it apart and get your disc out. But you could void your warranty.

I'm not going to take it apart, I'd probably break it even more, and I'm sure that would somehow count as shaking it with the disc in.

The thing comes with instructions on not moving it whilst there's a disc inside, but i'm not sure whether that means if it's running or not.

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
don't buy a PS3. ever.

If you have the white xbox: get a newer Slimline Xbox

if you have the slimline xbox: is it still under warranty?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Save up for a new xbox, man. It seems you've had these issues for a while. I wouldn't expect them to just stop. And the orange light just means that there's power going through to the transformer box. It's difficult to tell what's really going on inside there.

Oh, and if you get one of those new, fancy-looking ones, don't get the 4GB one (if you play on live at all). It's 4GB of flash memory, and you need a hard drive to play on live.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by davis_kiel
Microwave it. or buy a PS3 (A)

even after my inb4 eh...

buy a ps3 if you want to look at error codes because PSN has been down for almost a week.

Xbox may have some hardware issues but atleast they dont have any software problems.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Yeah must admit PSN really sucks. I'm not online that much, so not that bothered. Just needed Metal Gear Solid 4!!!! That's the only reason I bought one...
Quote by Bair
If by shaking it and inserting/ removing discs allowed it to turn on then the power supply inside must have a loose connection to the motherboard in one spot or multiple spots....if ur good with that type of thing id say to open it up and check that all connections are on snug. Just make sure to ground urself first. Good luck

When I shook it the first time I did hear a rattling

Quote by Silver-spear94
don't buy a PS3. ever.

If you have the white xbox: get a newer Slimline Xbox

if you have the slimline xbox: is it still under warranty?

No, I've got one of the white premiums.

Quote by blizzboy
Save up for a new xbox, man. It seems you've had these issues for a while. I wouldn't expect them to just stop. And the orange light just means that there's power going through to the transformer box. It's difficult to tell what's really going on inside there.

Oh, and if you get one of those new, fancy-looking ones, don't get the 4GB one (if you play on live at all). It's 4GB of flash memory, and you need a hard drive to play on live.

I'll keep the hard drive I've got with my account on it, but the thing is I probably won't be able to afford a new one anytime soon

It doesn't matter massivley though since I've got exams over the new month and a half, so I shouldn't be on it anyway

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
Last edited by SlipknotRule93 at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
even after my inb4 eh...

buy a ps3 if you want to look at error codes because PSN has been down for almost a week.

Xbox may have some hardware issues but atleast they dont have any software problems.

Yes this one week without online gaming is a valid reason not buy a PS3...
I love how peoples answers to a repair question is "but a new one" lol

Quote by JimmyBanks6
even after my inb4 eh...

Yeah, I find PS3 and Xbox both fun. Playstation has free online play, but you have to update all the damn time, and Xbox you have to pay for online.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
you should be able to pull the disc tray open without powering it up and get the disc out without having to remove any panels if you do it carefully?
Quote by Greenie_777
Yes this one week without online gaming is a valid reason not buy a PS3...

one week so far.

and one week this time, what happens next time their software gets hacked, one month?

i buy consoles to play online. if there is no online i dont want the console. simple as.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by funeralllllllll
you should be able to pull the disc tray open without powering it up and get the disc out without having to remove any panels if you do it carefully?

Sounds a bit risky as I might break the disc tray.

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
Quote by JimmyBanks6
one week so far.

and one week this time, what happens next time their software gets hacked, one month?

i buy consoles to play online. if there is no online i dont want the console. simple as.

They're fixing it so people can't hack it that's why it's down.

It's not like XBOX live hasn't ever had any downtime.
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Sounds a bit risky as I might break the disc tray.

slowly pulling it with tweezers should no harm at all

i have an older 360, one of the first ones with a decent size hard drive can't remember the exact model or whatever but i just forced it open with the blade end of a bottle opener no problem

you can buy this off me if you want dont use it :p
Quote by Greenie_777

It's not like XBOX live hasn't ever had any downtime.

please show me one time xbox live went down for longer than 24 hours, please try.

also when xbox got laggy over christmas in 08, they gave away free games to say sorry. where is your compensation for PSN being down for a full week?
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/01/03/microsoft-ameliorates-xbox-live-downtime-disappointments-with-a-free-game/

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Bair
slowly pulling it with tweezers should no harm at all

I'll give it a shot, I guess. :S

Quote by JimmyBanks6
please show me one time xbox live went down for longer than 24 hours, please try.

Only when they were doing like network maintainance, never to do with hacking, since they warned us a week or so in advance.

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
Quote by JimmyBanks6

also when xbox got laggy over christmas in 08, they gave away free games to say sorry. where is your compensation for PSN being down for a full week?
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/01/03/microsoft-ameliorates-xbox-live-downtime-disappointments-with-a-free-game/

I'm not going to get into one of these pathetic fanboy debates (always started by 360 owners) they are both good consoles with benefits on either side.

I love my playstation and see no good reason to buy a 360.
Quote by SlipknotRule93
I'll give it a shot, I guess. :S

Only when they were doing like network maintainance, never to do with hacking, since they warned us a week or so in advance.

Yes and they warn you and give full explanation

They always say maximum of 24 hours and it usually ends up being about 6.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
the original white xboxes are pieces of crap. They encased the whole thing in metal so everything melts itself to death.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by JimmyBanks6

I should hope they're willing to compensate paying customers for poor service. You're arguing a free service over one that's $60 a year. You may as well compare LOTR online to WoW, of course the one with more funding has better support and customer service, people would stop paying otherwise.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
I should hope they're willing to compensate paying customers for poor service. You're arguing a free service over one that's $60 a year. You may as well compare LOTR online to WoW, of course the one with more funding has better support and customer service, people would stop paying otherwise.

Part of the marketing of PS3 is that there is the free PSN service,

when you buy a ps3 part of what you are paying for is thus service, so really its still paid for.

you dont need to buy hardware with a guarantee of service into LOTR online

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
It's not working guys and I'm worried that I've broken it I used the blade suggestion and what happened was that I got the silver thing off the front, but the tray won't slide out and there's not enough room for the disc to come out either. I decided to just put it back together but it won't fit back on properly and I'm worried it won't close properly again.

Quote by Silver-spear94
the original white xboxes are pieces of crap. They encased the whole thing in metal so everything melts itself to death.

It's not an original core 360, it's a premium. Before the newest black ones came out it was the 2nd best model between the elite and the arcade.

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
the cover should just clip back on the tray isn't locked in it just sits on a roller should pull out..

at this point i would say get someone a bit more nerdy to come do it for you rather than getting in a panic or messing it up :P
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Part of the marketing of PS3 is that there is the free PSN service,

when you buy a ps3 part of what you are paying for is thus service, so really its still paid for.

you dont need to buy hardware with a guarantee of service into LOTR online

And part of the Xbox marketing is the XBL.
Invalid argument brah.
Quote by SG_dave
And part of the Xbox marketing is the XBL.
Invalid argument brah.

what difference does that make?

that doesnt change the argument in the slightest.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Greenie_777

Ermm no. . they got hacked thats why its down, and there is a high possibility that millions of personal details have been taken.

YAY for credit card fraud!!

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/playstation-network-hacked/
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Here's what you do.

1. Get rid of console.
2. Get £200 or whatever it costs to buy a console these days.
3. Walk to video games shop.
4. Walk past it.
5. Pub.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by cptcomet
Here's what you do.

1. Get rid of console.
2. Get £200 or whatever it costs to buy a console these days.
3. Walk to video games shop.
4. Walk past it.
5. Pub.

agree
Quote by JimmyBanks6
what difference does that make?

that doesnt change the argument in the slightest.

You basically said that because the PS3 is marketed as having PSN you're paying for the PSN when you buy the console in that one off payment.
Well the XBL is marketed along with 360s as well, so you are also paying a little in buying the console in the first place. Nevermind the monthly/yearly fees.
I think "it's fucked" is a legitimate diagnosis here.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by SG_dave
You basically said that because the PS3 is marketed as having PSN you're paying for the PSN when you buy the console in that one off payment.
Well the XBL is marketed along with 360s as well, so you are also paying a little in buying the console in the first place. Nevermind the monthly/yearly fees.

No you are wrong.

You buy the PSN with the added advertisement of online gaming included, its included, you paid for the service when you bought the console.

With xbox, you buy the console, if you want to play multiplayer you have to pay-to-play (p2p), completely different ideology, you dont pay for live until you pay for it, buying the console is not an expectation of getting multiplayer play.

the argument is not invalid and your logic is incorrect.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Page 1 of 2