I know using movie quotes in songs is technically illegal, but what about adding them in to live performances, would that be illegal and would anyone actually care? (I've heard about the odd venue who pay royalties every time a band plays a cover)
I've seen tons of unsigned bands who have used movie samples in their set so i wouldn't worry about it.
My friends band used to do it all the time and i know for a fact they never paid royalties for it.
The only problem i can see is if someone films it and uploads it onto youtube or something but the chances of anyone caring are slim to none.... so long as it aint Prince!!
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Ha, I'll take special care to avoid him!

Thanks man, thats what i wanted to know, just in case anyone else had some bad experiences
The problem I would think is the following:

A) you are blatantly ripping off the movie and using it to do your creative work for you

B) you are trying to make it look like it is your own work, rather then just an homage to the movie.

Take for example, the reading of the Hollow Men used in my composition in my sig, which was taken from a copyrighted movie. But it was done in good taste and the music was done to enhance, rather then to steal or to rip off.

Just use good sense, and you'll be fine.
Quote by alkalineweeman
My friends band used to do it all the time and i know for a fact they never paid royalties for it.

Nope, because the venue paid for it.

Quote by alkalineweeman
The only problem i can see is if someone films it and uploads it onto youtube or something but the chances of anyone caring are slim to none.... so long as it aint Prince!!

Because youtube also paid for it. Or they didn't and viacom/sony/etc comes along and takes your video down.

We have a copyright sticky in the bandleading sub-forum. Check it out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by LntrnVssL
I know using movie quotes in songs is technically illegal, but what about adding them in to live performances, would that be illegal and would anyone actually care? (I've heard about the odd venue who pay royalties every time a band plays a cover)

I doubt anyone would know or care.
shred is gaudy music
Quotes from movie music, you mean? Because pretty much every jazz musician does that, at least from time to time.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
^ No, quotes from movies. Like "I see dead people...."

For live use, it would fall under the same copyright laws as music, I would think.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Do you mean a recorded sample from the movie or just quoting a line in the lyrics?

If its former then it depends on the length of the sample, but if its the latter Im pretty sure you cant copyright a sentence otherwise think about it every parody of anything ever would be subject to royalties. Besides if its live I cant see that anyone will care anyway.

On a side note I dont really see that using movie quotes is uncreative. It depends on context. The White Stripes and Titus Andronicus are two that spring to mind as bands that have used movie quotes creatively.