Is Guitar Pro worth it for someone starting out? I have been playing for just under 6 months and am teaching myself. I have gotten pretty good at chord progressions and am learning the basic scales. I am also trying to get a few songs down good.

Is Guitar Pro a helpfull tool at this stage? Will it help me practice better?

This is the worlds greatest sig line ever!!
Tuxguitar.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by redwhite.
Is Guitar Pro worth it for someone starting out? I have been playing for just under 6 months and am teaching myself. I have gotten pretty good at chord progressions and am learning the basic scales. I am also trying to get a few songs down good.

Tl;dr: Yes, yes, and yes.

I've been using guitar pro for a while now and it's certainly helped me, especially for learning songs, cause you can slow down and loop sections of songs you're stuck at or whatever, but I imagine most tab software can do that.
Tuxguitar is opensource, so it's free
and it also supports Power Tabs and all types of Guitar Pro files.
its much better for a starter
I would say yes...

For me personally I cant use it to learn songs. I tend to play along with it and instead of having to memorize the parts I just sight read them and dont actually learn anything. But to each their own, i know alot of people who only learn songs from guitar pro.

But when it comes to thinking of a great little melody and wanting to write it out quickly before you forget. Guitar pro is amazing, I have a folder on my computer with hundreds of little licks I've come up with and can go through anytime I want. Instead of just forgetting them a couple hours later.

That alone is worth $50 to me!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3429762/Guitar_Pro_5

Is it worth it? Well if it's free then yes, so on that note.. There you go. Save yourself some money.

If you don't know how to torrent, download Utorrent to be a host for the download:

http://www.utorrent.com/downloads

This is an incredibly easy torrent to work. I've used it for years with no problems.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by redwhite.

guitar pro is awesome,there are also some great gpro tab packs if u look in the right places,
Quote by vayne92
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3429762/Guitar_Pro_5

Is it worth it? Well if it's free then yes, so on that note.. There you go. Save yourself some money.

If you don't know how to torrent, download Utorrent to be a host for the download:

http://www.utorrent.com/downloads

This is an incredibly easy torrent to work. I've used it for years with no problems.

TPB ftw, although i wouldnt of put a direct url in hahah anyway, there's a 60,000 tab pack on there also which is awesome. all types of different bands. if you wanna see the tab for a song, just search in windows and it might well be there
Thanks guys. I think I will give it a try.

Does Band in a Box give you all the drums, bass, etc to play with after learning the song?

This is the worlds greatest sig line ever!!
Guitar Pro (or Tux Guitar if you are cheap like me) is an immensely useful tool. I find it helps not only learning songs and scales and what-have-you, but for composing as well.
My Equipment:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez A200E
Peavey Vypyr 60 w/Sanpera II
Morpheus Droptune

EDIT: comment deleted sorry. Posted in wrong thread :s
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 28, 2011,