So i have a rocktek 6 band eq which i was given. I have been told it will nail superb lead tones (better then ones i hav already dialed in on my amp) however i have no clue how it works. Before i start messing with it can someone sugest where to start an point me in the right direction.
I am playing through a bugera 333xl head
I am playing mostly metal and want a carcass rythm with wintersun/kiuas leads,
If you need to know anythin else let me know
Cheers stig
make this shape. \/
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by -Blue-
Not sure how much you already know about eq pedals, but put it after the distortion; in the loop would be a good place for it. Basically, good lead tones are going to have treble and mids to stand out from the rhythm section, so try to emphasize those.

Yeah i plan on putting it in the effects loop,

This V shape, sounds good place to start. Can i use it to filter out hiss by cutting the highest freq (3.2k on mine) or is there more to it then that?
Quote by stig354
Yeah i plan on putting it in the effects loop,

This V shape, sounds good place to start. Can i use it to filter out hiss by cutting the highest freq (3.2k on mine) or is there more to it then that?
Yeah that should cut out some of the white noise. However, you might sacrifice some clarity in the tone.

Really, what it comes down to is figuring out for yourself what cutting/boosting each frequency range does to the tone. That V shape will give you a bassy yet sharp/clear tone because it boosts the bass (which gives you the low end, obviously) and the treble (which gives you that nice clear ring) and cuts the mids, which eliminates some muddiness.

Mid-range will generally give your sound a bit more substance and punch, however (like I said) it might make the tone a bit muddy. High-mids specifically will give you a bit more clarity without making it too bright and shrill, and low-mids will help give you a bit more depth and roundness without making it too deep.

Of course that's just a basic introduction to EQing but hopefully that helps.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Put it in the loop, turn it on, move sliders till if sounds good. The changes should be fairly drastic at each end of the spectrum, so it's not hard to figure it out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shikkaka
make this shape. \/

Do not make a V shape. Mids are your friend. ALWAYS YOUR FRIEND. Different amps sound different when dialed into the same settings so sending an EQ through two different amps with the same dialed settings will also sound different. First set it flat and play with each slider until you get a sound you like. Just remember what sounds great alone will not sound so great in a band setting so take into consideration the frequencies occupied by your band. Lead tones tend to desire a boost in the upper mid range and highs.
More mids, more highs, less bass if you like it.

A word of advice though, around 7k and onwards is the higher end noise, 3k-5k is pretty much essential for your guitar tone to sound normal too.
Experiment ofcourse but I would go against cutting 3.3k it to remove hiss.
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Seeing as this came from the Bass forum (?) I can understand the V shapes recommended. They're not ideal for guitar though. Are you a bassist or a guitarist? Probably guitarist seeing you play a 333XL, but you never know.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Seeing as this came from the Bass forum (?) I can understand the V shapes recommended. They're not ideal for guitar though. Are you a bassist or a guitarist? Probably guitarist seeing you play a 333XL, but you never know.

Yeah man im guitarists, what do you mean bass forum? Have i been posting in the wrong section again ? Sorry