I made a thread about this a few months ago, but I cannot find it again, so here's a new one.

I'm getting a new band together. And I need a new amp loud enough amp for gigging. I'm aiming for $300 but am willing to go up to $350. Needs to be loud enough for gigging and have built-in Reverb (because Reverb is sexy as all hell and Reverb pedals are just as expensive). I have my own pedals and whatnot so I'm not too concerned about effects or distortion too much. If it's not louder than a Fender Champion 300 (a 30w solid state, not the 5w tube-based Champion 600), than it's not really an improvement.

4/30 Edit: Right now I'm looking at the Bugera v22, The demo's sound nice, but I keep hear people bashing it, and not give any real reason for it. Is there something that people are leaving out of the reviews.

Also, since I ran into this problem last time, if you are going to recommend a different amp then please, please read this part. I'd like it new. Recommending used amps is great and all, but finding one is a different thing then looking for one. It depends on if someone is selling one while I'm looking for it, and I don't need people to tell me "If you can find a used Blues Junior or Peavy 30W valve for $350, get it." I'm not ****ing retarded; I already know that.

What I want: (Protip: If it doesn't meet this description, then don't recommend it.)
<$350 (New)
Loud Amp
12" Speaker
Decent Clean Channel
Reverb

What I'd prefer:
<$300
Very Loud
two 12" Speakers
Decent Clean and Distortion Channels
2 Channels
Tube

What I don't want (and you should be ashamed for recommending.)
$350+ gear
Quiet ("It's not loud enough for gigging but has better tone, so get it. Trust me" - I hate these responses!)
Bad Clean Channel
Modelling Amps
Amp Heads
Used Amps
Super High Gain Amps for the uber brootalz.

TL,DR: It's another "recommend me an amp" thread. If you want to recommend a different amp, please, check the criteria above.

(Originally this thread was about the Fender FM 212r.)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 30, 2011,
Tough criteria, you know what you want.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA20H-and-JCA12S-Half-Stack-584695-i1524103.gc

That's the best I can do, at the moment.

I'm not sure if Jet City has released the JCA 2212 combo amp, but it has everything you want, plus, 20 watts of all tube power should be enough on stage.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/2011/02/16/jca2212rc/

That's the best I can do,
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I can't believe I am going to say this but bugera v22
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Yeah thats really tough criteria.

I own an FM212R, and I would NOT reccomend it. The clean channel is alright, but both distorted channels are SHIT, and althought its 100W and 2x12, it sounds piss poor once its above half volume. I have gigged it, but it isn't as loud as you think it is.

Two things, You always play somewhere without a PA? And is there no way of spending more money? How about you spend some more cash and actually get something that works for you?

Otherwise, there are no amps in your criteria. Move along.
I've played the Frontman and it sucks. That bandwagon started for a reason.

Give us a location and we'll find you some used amps.

Also, what do you play? What tones are you going for?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
I've played the Frontman and it sucks. That bandwagon started for a reason.

Also, what do you play? What tones are you going for?

I would suggest used amps as well, but it's not what he wants.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Its going to be very hard to recommend because your ideas and wants are very strict. But I would say Bugera as well
And also used amps can be just as good (maybe even better if you find a modded one that is perfect for your tastes) as new amps.
Last edited by Stryker636 at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by Major Sparky

I can find used amps myself, thank you very much. I'm not stupid. I don't need recommendations about something that I may or may not even be able to find. If I find something interesting that I'm questionable about, I'll be sure to ask.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
Tough criteria, you know what you want.

It's because in my last thread people were recommending $600 - $700 amps, Modelling amps and JCM800s and JMPs.

Quote by Guitarbaddie

This is probably what I'm going to get, if I can find one, I'm only hesitant because of the lack of reverb. The only place near me that sells them is Guitar Center, and they only carry the 20w and the 100w heads (plus their cheapest 1X12 cab is like another $300 and they don't even carry and of the combos). Everywhere else hasn't even heard of JCA.

Quote by hawks5211
Two things, You always play somewhere without a PA? And is there no way of spending more money? How about you spend some more cash and actually get something that works for you?

1) Well, I need an amp that can handle both gigging and practice w/ drums, bass and a second guitarist who uses a 100w amplifier. And because a gigging amplifier needs more power than I practicing amplifier, I figure if I can gig with it then I can practice with it. Mike'ing an amp may work on a gigging level but I'd rather not pay for an extra compressor microphone for a subpar amp, if I can just buy an amp that will serve both purposes just as well.

2) Because I'm poor--I will probably wind up getting a something for a little more, or if I can find something used. But I really, really don't want to spend more.

Quote by joey acre
I can't believe I am going to say this but bugera v22

What's so bad about this one? I've never really heard anything about them.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 26, 2011,
are you sure you want reverb? I mean in a live setting you can get some nature reverb going on
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Alright suit yourself.

Bare in mind that the Jet City is single channel.

Most people don't like Bugera's because of their reliability problems. Also, I find their V series amps to be very fizzy.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
Alright suit yourself.

Bare in mind that the Jet City is single channel.

Most people don't like Bugera's because of their reliability problems. Also, I find their V series amps to be very fizzy.

9/10's of their reliability problems have been fixed except for maybe the occasional channel switching pedal issue or the lights for the channel/on-off/standby burning out or not working

And a change of tubes will fix the fizzy-ness for the most part
Quote by Stryker636
9/10's of their reliability problems have been fixed except for maybe the occasional channel switching pedal issue or the lights for the channel/on-off/standby burning out or not working

And a change of tubes will fix the fizzy-ness for the most part

Isn't the v22 the same price as the new JCA 2212 combo?

In which case, I would take the JCA over the Bugera.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Isn't the v22 the same price as the new JCA 2212 combo?

In which case, I would take the JCA over the Bugera.

I would like to try the JCA next to the Bugera and go from there
If you did decide to go used, you could get a peavey classic 30 and have everything you need for 350 or less.
So what's so wrong with the Bugera v22? Is it just reliability problems?

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
^ they can be a little fizzy as well. the tone on the one i tried wasnt anything to rave about. it was ok, and thats about it. the high side is that it has some solid features, like an effects loop, reverb and two channels. gets you a decent amp with some versitility, but i wasnt impressed overall. it didnt sound bad, it just didnt make me say, "i want to keep playing this!"

the jet city on the other hand, well i picked one up the first time i played it. minimal on the feature set, but i think it sounds great. can be a little harsh, but im ok with that. it is only one channel, no effects loop, and only the combo has reverb. it sounds very nice to me, but it doesnt have the ability to switch sounds like a lot of people want.
Have you looked at the Carvin SX200 and SX300 amps?
Good clean, good crunch, and can do the heavy 80's metal stuff too.
Mild built in effects, but no 'over the top' features
And they are light for 2x12 combos
lift big 2 get big
NPC Masters Competitor
Mod @ bodybuilding.com
Mod @ Iron-forum.com
Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!
I gig with a valve jr and a homemade 2x12. Everyone says it dosent work, but I play in a 6 piece rock band with keys and violin. It cuts through fine if you eq it with a pedal and use some dist/boost pedals. But if you really think you need a bigger amp, go for it. I have a bugera v22 and it's a good amp, but I've blown up 3
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22