Hi guys,

I've got a guitar set-up with EXL 158, baritone light strings. It's not a baritone guitar though, but it was hard to find some strings thick enough to play some Amon Amarth..

I usually keep the guitar in B-standard, but for some songs I want it in drop A tuning.. But it seems the low B string is too thin for this.. I really though I could play in drop A with this set.. Am I doing anything obviously wrong??..

When I try to tune it to A, it never gets to A correctly, always just wandering a bit off.. if I hit it hard, it goes up to B, if I hit it soft, it doesnt even get close to A.. Is this really a problem of a too thin string set?.. The rest of the strings are causing no problems though, working quite fine, not too slack, and easy to tune..

Problem is I cant find any thicker strings I dare to put on without fearing that my neck would snap.. -_-..

hope you can help me,

Michael
Your neck won't snap due to string gauge but due to string tension. If the tension is weaker than a 10-52 in E standard, theres no reason why it would snap.

Also remember - 7-string guitars go down to B and lower (I kept mine in A# standard when I had one) and you don't get problems using thicker strings on them

When I had my 7 in A# standard I had it strung with a standard 11-48 set and with a 64 for the low A#. Ended up selling it because the tension was still too low for my tastes even though the strings was starting to feel like wires under my fingers. I'll get a baritone 7 next time if ever I decide to get one.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Yeah I know it's the tension, but I feel like that a >.64 string in A causes more tension than say a .53 in E.. But maybe that's just a feeling..

And I've though about a baritone guitar/7-string, but it was all way above my budget (the attractive-ones), and I saw many people playing 6-strings in A/B across the interwebs.. But a .64 even too slack.. wow.. I'm starting to fear I should've gone baritone after all.. :/
It could be your pickups. Some pickups have a hard time processing the sound correctly when downtuned extremely. What kind of pickups do you have?
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Yeap, love it to bits. Feels great. Mine is an older model with a different bridge and basswood wings though. Wish I had waited a couple of months before buying lol.

Also; look at this thing: http://humanoid.ahmala.fi/software/

It's a program that lets you calculate the string tension depending on scale length and string gauge and whatnot. Have a play around with it, see if you can find the correct scale length :p It's designed for seven-stringed guitars though, just ignore the lowest string haha.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Last edited by Eskil Rask at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by xkreedx
It could be your pickups. Some pickups have a hard time processing the sound correctly when downtuned extremely. What kind of pickups do you have?

Unless he changed the pickups, he should have EMG's in it.
the problem pretty much lies that the scale length just isnt long enough to handle it well, all 'normal' scale length guitars will suffer this way when you tune that low.

Try out something heavier gauge. I used 13-72 set once for standard B, it worked fine but the tension was very high. If you like a heavy gauge I'd suggest around about a 70 for the A if its gonna stay in A, and then around 68-65 if your going from A to B. This is just a rough guess from what I have.

I've got a 13-56 thats in A# standard atm on a regular scale length guitar and I like it and dont have alot of trouble.
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Using the string calculator thingy I just posted, you would have to use a .70 gauge string in order to get the same tension in A as you would with a .52 in D.

Hope that helped.
Quote by Anacreor
btw, you got an RGT6EXFX? Got one too! Awesome guitar, really!

Not trying to threadjack, but I also have one...great guitar. Blackouts in mine now. Don't downtune much though, except for drop D and occasionally drop C.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
I'll play around with that program indeed, thanks for the link, might turn out helpful indeed!

Indeed got EMG's in the LTD! So I guess it won't be the pickups! Also in the RGT haha xD I like them, and their fitting my music taste quite well.. Can't wait to try out blackouts sometime in the future!

But that's quite a heavy gauge, so I'll try out something even heavier then! Thanks for the useful replies

@Bigaxmax: How come that 13-56's are doing the job for you in A#, and that for A my 13 - 62 is too thin..? I really can't think of anything.. :P