Hey I'd some input on this track i did at home on a day off.
The drums were a few loops i had knocking around that I cut together(I would rather have a real drummer), bass was just my ESP LTD EC1000 ran through a morpheus drop tune a full octave lower than standard tuning.
Guitars (along with bass) were recorded live in my sitting room using a mic, an 8track mixer all ran through my Line6 guitarport since it's a good low latency soundcard.
vox were done in the same fashion(I'm not a great singer and this my first attempt at it....eek).
All in all it took around three hours non stop working to get it done, I'd love to have studio quailty but...I can't afford it...jeez they can over price themselves sometimes.

On my Youtube profile called 'Redemption'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfBoZs50Ew

Please rate and comment and I'll do my best to do the same for you, just leave a link thingy and I'll sort it.

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by metal105 at Apr 26, 2011,
Good stuff man. The progression reminds me a lot of Sorcery - Snowshit. Sick guitar playing, love the wah solo near the end - reminds me a lot of my own style of soloing when I play stuff like that. Not much negative stuff I can comment on here; vocals weren't the best but they suited the song. Nice production too.
Quote by AzureNight
Good stuff man. The progression reminds me a lot of Sorcery - Snowshit. Sick guitar playing, love the wah solo near the end - reminds me a lot of my own style of soloing when I play stuff like that. Not much negative stuff I can comment on here; vocals weren't the best but they suited the song. Nice production too.

Cheers dude...I know the vox ain't 100% lyrics ain't pushin it and my voice is a tad flat at times...lol..understatment. Big thanks for the return crit. =)
Quote by JacK C
Feels really Guns n Roses like
Overall mix is really good. Does all sound very computer-y though...not too much soul in there besides the screaming guitar and dubbed vocals. I liked the guitar.
Your singing aint bad you know...be a bit more confident with it and it would really suit your music no problem.
Should try not to flood your mixing too much, that's where you're getting that very digital sound (as well as the digital drums which can't be helped with no drummer!)

Good demo to gather band mates with, you tried joinmyband.com?

Cheers, first proper try at writing/singing...I'm on a site called bandmix but i ain't used it in a while since i joined a metal band a year back. Though the need to play something slower is tuggin at me.

P.s I changed the link to my Youtube page since the quailty remained better on there.

thanks for the crit.
Last edited by metal105 at Apr 26, 2011,
nice dude

I really dig it

No bad things to say about it actually

You've been subbed
Quote by E.S
nice dude

I really dig it

No bad things to say about it actually

You've been subbed

Cheers dude..sub returned your way.
Nice dude, I actually kinda like this one. It's got a 90's grunge rock feel to it, but with a bit of big 80's rock mixed in. I like the vocals quite a bit. I think the mix is lacking a bit, for instance, the solo that starts around 2:05 I think should come in through the center with a bit more volume. Overall, the recording lacks the punch it needs to be really awesome, but the song itself is pretty cool I like it.
Quote by whatadrag
Nice dude, I actually kinda like this one. It's got a 90's grunge rock feel to it, but with a bit of big 80's rock mixed in. I like the vocals quite a bit. I think the mix is lacking a bit, for instance, the solo that starts around 2:05 I think should come in through the center with a bit more volume. Overall, the recording lacks the punch it needs to be really awesome, but the song itself is pretty cool I like it.

Cheers....This has sort of given me the balls to do a longer one...with a few verses and stuff.
Thanks for your comment on my post !

Well, I liked your song. It's not a style I listen a lot to usually, but I founded it well writen, and well played.
Guitar sounds good, bass too, and drums were fine (I didn't care too much about it though). For the vocals, I think they were pretty good, especially for a first try. It suits well the style of the song. Maybe you overused of the effect on the voice (I don't know how it's called).
The guitar solo were cool too, but you should make it a bit louder I think.

Overall, it's a very good song !

Edit : I checked some of your band songs, I must say you do excellent music ! I really like what your band do. I subbed on Youtube (MetallicGuitarAlex20). Keep up the good work !
Last edited by tsoun-net at Apr 27, 2011,
yeah I think it´s a pretty good song...but the Vocals are a little bit too "raw" for me. But the Guitar-solo is awesome
Quote by tsoun-net
Thanks for your comment on my post !

Well, I liked your song. It's not a style I listen a lot to usually, but I founded it well writen, and well played.
Guitar sounds good, bass too, and drums were fine (I didn't care too much about it though). For the vocals, I think they were pretty good, especially for a first try. It suits well the style of the song. Maybe you overused of the effect on the voice (I don't know how it's called).
The guitar solo were cool too, but you should make it a bit louder I think.

Overall, it's a very good song !

Edit : I checked some of your band songs, I must say you do excellent music ! I really like what your band do. I subbed on Youtube (MetallicGuitarAlex20). Keep up the good work !

Thanks for the comments dude
glad you like the band as well, http://www.facebook.com/eyesoftheraven?ref=mf here's the facebook link...And if you follow the link to our website you can download the tunes for free.
Quote by Holandir
yeah I think it´s a pretty good song...but the Vocals are a little bit too "raw" for me. But the Guitar-solo is awesome

Thanks...One day i'll to sing..
Tis all new to me at the moment.
Well done man. Sounds really good, especially for just 3 hours! You got a good voice man, kinda manson-esque! Sick lead too. Really experimental-meets-polished metal which is rare to see/hear! Keep it up dude, subbed!
Quote by hellz
Well done man. Sounds really good, especially for just 3 hours! You got a good voice man, kinda manson-esque! Sick lead too. Really experimental-meets-polished metal which is rare to see/hear! Keep it up dude, subbed!

Thanks dude, It was a quick turn around to be fair..now I think about it.
Kept the riffs simple, but tracked thre different guitars and built up a texture of sound between the three so it doesn't sound weak...Two of em display lead lines.
vox were pretty much made up on the spot with a few passes.
Lyrical inspiration came from my games/dvd collection...i saw read dead redemption on there. lol.
how you come up with yours?
Quote by metal105
Thanks dude, It was a quick turn around to be fair..now I think about it.
Kept the riffs simple, but tracked thre different guitars and built up a texture of sound between the three so it doesn't sound weak...Two of em display lead lines.
vox were pretty much made up on the spot with a few passes.
Lyrical inspiration came from my games/dvd collection...i saw read dead redemption on there. lol.
how you come up with yours?

Nice, I really did like the thickness of it all yeah. That's a pretty cool inspirational source man, I should try it some time! For my lyrics I think of people I know, or events or a situation which inspires whatever emotion I'm writing about. Often it ends up being me lol. I like it that way 'cause firstly a lot of songs flow really naturally that way and also it gives songs more feel, which is important to me. Lookin' forward to hearing more of your songs man!
Reminds me of southern rock/metal, Zach wylde would be proud.

Kudos on doing the one man band thing, but you might want to find a separate vocalist, or at the very least experiment with some different voices and find one that works better for you.

I gave you a thumbs up and comment.

Care to comment/rate mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418682
Not bad, man. The music is really good. Only thing I can really say is turn down the echo a little on the vocals. Found it kind of hard to distinguish what you were saying. Other than that, pretty good. Really liked that outro you did. Keep up the good work, man!

If you want to crit mine, the link's in my sig
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by Riffman15
Reminds me of southern rock/metal, Zach wylde would be proud.

Kudos on doing the one man band thing, but you might want to find a separate vocalist, or at the very least experiment with some different voices and find one that works better for you.

I gave you a thumbs up and comment.

Care to comment/rate mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418682

Cheers dude and thanks for the comments..I sent a crit to your forum page.
Quote by kaosxrocker
Not bad, man. The music is really good. Only thing I can really say is turn down the echo a little on the vocals. Found it kind of hard to distinguish what you were saying. Other than that, pretty good. Really liked that outro you did. Keep up the good work, man!

If you want to crit mine, the link's in my sig

ah..but the effects were to hide the bad singing .
Nah i'll be a tad more confident next time. thaks for the crit...gonna send one your way now.
...Your drop tune pedal sounds better than my actual bass I got it for $50, though, so I guess that's to be expected.

I like the sound of this, I can't place what band you sound like. But it's a good thing. It definitely seems too short though, I was expecting another verse after the solo ended, and then it just cut off. Good job though, if not maybe a bit heavy on effects for my taste.

C4C? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437017
cool song that coud benifit from better production. your vocals kinda remind me of later period Alice Cooper. unfortunetely the vocals are often lost in the mix and very difficult to understand. a bit of advice, turn down the rhythem track when you are singing over them so that the vocals stand out. your guitar sound seemed very trebly to me which didn't help when the wha kicked in. of course a real bass would have helped but your bass sound was pretty good for what it is. perhaps a little less distortion would help with the clarity as well. i've found as fact then when recording you need less distortion than you think or are often used to using when playing live.
Dude be quiet your vocals were fine. Lol. HOWEVER I would say that I can hear an overdub or two in there, how many did you use?

I liked the sing more than the growl.

Vocals are buried though. Bring them out a lot more I would say. Because even if you suck (you dont) hard to hear vocals ALWAYS hurt a song more than anything else. The ear will adapt if the music is good enough and people like the lyrics.

I recommend a book called "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Oswinski, who is known for every book he writes being the best in the subject. It's actually unofficially used as a textbook in a lot of recording schools. It's easy to follow, not a lot of complicated procedure or backstory (you want this sound, do this) and I think with proper mixing this song would POP.

Mastering is something you more worry about when your getting your cd together, as the primary (not only) focus is getting the songs to sound cohesive, to deliver the overall "album feel". Just a good mix would do a lot.

And the guitar is really good too. The drums work for me, definietely sound stock though. I've been doing some experiments with reason drumkits 2.0, which is a BILLION times better than what you think of when you think Reason drums, but, I'll have to tell you how that turns out because it's still an experiment.

Keep posting here!
Quote by monwobobbo
cool song that coud benifit from better production. your vocals kinda remind me of later period Alice Cooper. unfortunetely the vocals are often lost in the mix and very difficult to understand. a bit of advice, turn down the rhythem track when you are singing over them so that the vocals stand out. your guitar sound seemed very trebly to me which didn't help when the wha kicked in. of course a real bass would have helped but your bass sound was pretty good for what it is. perhaps a little less distortion would help with the clarity as well. i've found as fact then when recording you need less distortion than you think or are often used to using when playing live.

Cheers....The mix on vox was low just enough to cover my shyness. In future they shall be higher in the mix. guitars did sound over bassy the first time round so i did a bit of eq on them. but i do have a bass heavy system at home so maybe i need to adjust that when i'm mixing.
Quote by Burner_BHC
Dude be quiet your vocals were fine. Lol. HOWEVER I would say that I can hear an overdub or two in there, how many did you use?

I liked the sing more than the growl.

Vocals are buried though. Bring them out a lot more I would say. Because even if you suck (you dont) hard to hear vocals ALWAYS hurt a song more than anything else. The ear will adapt if the music is good enough and people like the lyrics.

I recommend a book called "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Oswinski, who is known for every book he writes being the best in the subject. It's actually unofficially used as a textbook in a lot of recording schools. It's easy to follow, not a lot of complicated procedure or backstory (you want this sound, do this) and I think with proper mixing this song would POP.

Mastering is something you more worry about when your getting your cd together, as the primary (not only) focus is getting the songs to sound cohesive, to deliver the overall "album feel". Just a good mix would do a lot.

And the guitar is really good too. The drums work for me, definietely sound stock though. I've been doing some experiments with reason drumkits 2.0, which is a BILLION times better than what you think of when you think Reason drums, but, I'll have to tell you how that turns out because it's still an experiment.

Keep posting here!

thanks dude I'll keep all these points on hand, i'm about to do a new song which is longer and I hope better produced.
I'll have a hunt around for that book as well. top advice...Oo and the next track will be using DFH instead of a loop.
Quote by -Blue-
...Your drop tune pedal sounds better than my actual bass I got it for $50, though, so I guess that's to be expected.

I like the sound of this, I can't place what band you sound like. But it's a good thing. It definitely seems too short though, I was expecting another verse after the solo ended, and then it just cut off. Good job though, if not maybe a bit heavy on effects for my taste.

C4C? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437017

it's good to hear i did a good job on the fake bass stakes.
crit on it's way dude.
Quote by aaron aardvark
metal105,
Electric bass sounds very good! Guitar sounds good also, reminds me of across between Hendrix & David Gilmour. Singing is good. I like all of the melodies. Nice recording! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437378

big praise dude...i ain't there yet but i will keep trying. glad you liked it crit on it's way back to ya.
Quote by metal105
thanks dude I'll keep all these points on hand, i'm about to do a new song which is longer and I hope better produced.
I'll have a hunt around for that book as well. top advice...Oo and the next track will be using DFH instead of a loop.

oh yeah right overdubbed vox..just the 2..one growl one singing.
awesome groove. you like corrosion of conformity? i think the vocals kick ass too. this is very very killer riffing. overall 10/10!
Tasty riffs, man. Makes me think of old Black Sabbath with a hint of Cream. Your voice fits this music perfectly; even though you didn't hit all the notes perfectly, you have that raw, dirty rock vibe nailed perfectly. The wah solo was pretty cool as well. My only real complaint is that the song is short.

Crit mine?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by obsolete51
awesome groove. you like corrosion of conformity? i think the vocals kick ass too. this is very very killer riffing. overall 10/10!

Just checked em out...Cool band gonna go find me some of their albums. Same guitarist from Down right?

Cheers for the comments dude it's good to hear this track has gone down well.
And thanks for the new band gonna spend work tomorrow banging my head.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Tasty riffs, man. Makes me think of old Black Sabbath with a hint of Cream. Your voice fits this music perfectly; even though you didn't hit all the notes perfectly, you have that raw, dirty rock vibe nailed perfectly. The wah solo was pretty cool as well. My only real complaint is that the song is short.

Crit mine?

yep been a big thing so far on this thread..the song is short and i think as an experiment went well. So I'm now working on a longer song...A different one like but still I'll be singin and also using a drum programme instead of a loop.
Should be done soon..audio is almost there just needs a final mix and stuff...in the middle of writting lyrics and pushin my voice further. I'm hoping to get a better performance from myself this time.

cheer for the comments dude.