Would it be okay to run a 5 watt Fender Champion 600 into an 8 ohm 2x12 cabinet?
It's my brother's amp so I dont want to risk killing it
I'd do it. But you probably shouldn't.

BTW, thread title is non-sensensical. The cabinet is the load.
cool, thanks.
If anything was going to happen, would it be right away or after a while of using it?
Probably after using it for a while. It may be just fine. If it was mine, it wouldn't bother me to hook it up and use it that way. But if it was going to have a permanent setup I wouldn't mismatch.

The wattage is so low that even cheap components could probably handle the extra current.
Last edited by fly135 at Apr 26, 2011,
It's a safe mismatch if your transformers aren't shitty.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^that, there are engineering tricks they use to protect our trannies from mismatch.

far from an ideal situation (that transformer is there to match to impedance from the output of your amp to your speakers specifically). but really, guitar amps are usually over engineered enough to take our constant abuses.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yay, planning for user stupidity.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
It should be fine. However, there is a long term solution that will only cost you about $20 if you can solder (and know how to discharge capacitors so you don't kill yaself) and will get you all matched up:
http://triodeelectronics.com/tfchxfwi48oh.html

You can buy more expensive trannies but I have used these and they sound quite good. They are made in an old transformer factory in Chicago, not some child labor camp in south east asia.

Edit: You will of course have to add a switch or a second jack for the new 8 ohm tap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 27, 2011,
I wouldn't. That's twice the impedance requirement of the output transformer. If you dime that little amp into an 8 ohm load, flyback voltage present could be large enough to damage the tube and possibly the output transformer.

There's over 360VDC present in that amp, enough to cause flyback voltage spikes upward of 6-800V.

But that's just me. I tend to operate off of established theory rather than experience when it comes to operational safety.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
well we hooked it up and noodles on it for like 10 minutes, sounded good, pretty quiet cause of the impedance and it was cranked to 10 and 12