Page 1 of 2
I think you'll all get a kick out of this.

This guy's name is Tom Brier. He's from Norcal, and he is one of the largest influences on the local Ragtime scene. I got a chance to see him in Sacramento at a ragtime festival. I'm sure a lot of you think that sounds weird, but it's a lot of fun, ragtime is really great music.

Anyway, what happened here is he was given sheet music to Yoshi and Mario video game music, he's never played the games or heard the songs before, and he played them live for us, sight-reading the sheet music for it. It's pretty incredible.

Yoshi's Island Athletic Theme (my favorite) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ
Mario Athlete Rag http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZMroQOtS_U
Super Mario 2 http://youtu.be/lgda3qc8S0A

What do you think?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Holy shit...
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

I've actually heard of this guy, IIRC. The Yoshi's Island thing is pretty insane, I'd love to be able to play like that.

Also, as an aside, ragtime is one of the coolest genres ever. There's a local composer where I live, Colm "Stride" O'Brien, and he has some pretty cool stuff.
Amazing. Absolutely amazing.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Most professional musicians know how to sight read really well. A lot of times they will never get to see the music before they play it, so its a must for them if they still want to gig
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Not bad, but I don't get what's so impressive. I can sight-read.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I know people personally that can do that. I had to sight read music for an easter gig on Sunday too. In the professional scheme of things, it's pretty standard, and unimpressive.
lol its so ezy on piano cuz u just liek pres keyz n stuff it takes no skill lyk geetar lol

On a more serious note, I was impressed because I can't read standard notation at all, nevermind sight-read.
Haters in this thread. Sightreading on piano is a bitch, and sightreading something that fast makes it even more difficult.
Check out my band Disturbed
I can't really see the chart. was it a lead sheet or a score?

video finally loaded. guessing it was a score given the intro. in that case, extremely impressive.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Apr 26, 2011,
I used to be able to sight read on trumpet, but that's much simpler than on piano - however I'm sure there's a lot of professional pianists who can do this. One of my friends is awesome at piano, grade 8 within 3 or 4 years and he does this sort of shit as well. However, yeah more impressive than my guitar playing shit skills
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

See, this is why I'm learning to read sheet music.

Once you get it down to second-nature, reading then playing something is as natural and flowing as reading a cue card and saying what's on it.

It's freaking awesome.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
To the people confused at those who aren't impressed, while it is very impressive to sight-read at such a high skill, it isn't completely uncommon.

Check out some fairly spontaneous jazz gigs, you'll see multiple guys doing such a thing, often harder stuff too!

And the thing is, if it's a local jazz gig, these guys are probably hardly known outside (hell, even inside) of their local area.
I think its a hell of a lot easier to sight read on piano than it is on guitar.

regardless though, that was pretty cool
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Last edited by kirkisking at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by Punk_Ninja
To the people confused at those who aren't impressed, while it is very impressive to sight-read at such a high skill, it isn't completely uncommon.

Check out some fairly spontaneous jazz gigs, you'll see multiple guys doing such a thing, often harder stuff too!

And the thing is, if it's a local jazz gig, these guys are probably hardly known outside (hell, even inside) of their local area.

not really.

1) jazz players play with lead sheets which has chord symbols and the melody to the head. improvise accordingly. not the same as sight reading a score. it's the difference between sight reading this:

and this

2) charts are kind of taboo on gigs anyway. most of it's from memory. but charts are usually acceptable but only for non-standard songs.

if it was a lead sheet, I'd agree: not exceptionally crazy. but the video was made by a pianist who said he wrote a "score" so I'm inclined to believe he aight read it note for note rather than harmonizing the melody line.

edit: but then again, it depends on your training. if you're mainly a classical player the score would be easier. I'm probably biased as a jazz musician (who uses charts because I'm a n00b).
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Apr 26, 2011,
Sight reading is always a good skill to have, but it's a standard expectation of professional classical performers.

In LA, things move extremely fast and all scoring session musicians must be able to sight read the film/game scores for the studio recording. Most music you've heard in almost all movies/TV/games are sight read.

Same thing for musicians in any major orchestras.

There are also a few top tier sight readers like Liszt and Prokofiev who can sight read an orchestral score (keep in mind there are transposing instruments like Bb trumpets and clarinets) while simultaneously reducing that full score to play on the piano.

So I'm happy for whoever it is you're talking about, but it's not astounding or extraordinary. And actually those music from the games aren't that difficult to sight read.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by primusfan
entertainer_fail.jpg

Wow that's some horrendous score presentation.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by schecter ftw
Lol @ people saying this isn't impressive.

I wanna see you sight read something like this at tempo on piano.

In many genres you're practically required to be able to sightread at an advanced level if you want to keep getting gigs. I'd bet he started working on sightreading very early on.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Wow that's some horrendous score presentation.

that's my transciption. thanks ...

kidding.

yeah I just googled "entertainer score" and posted.

you do make a good point. had I learned to read on a
chordal instrument perhaps I wouldn't think it was such a big deal. when I learn tunes on piano it's either harmonization of a lead sheet or I sit and struggle with the score for a few hours. and that's just for pop songs.
#DTWD
Quote by Xiaoxi
Sight reading is always a good skill to have, but it's a standard expectation of professional classical performers.

In LA, things move extremely fast and all scoring session musicians must be able to sight read the film/game scores for the studio recording. Most music you've heard in almost all movies/TV/games are sight read.

Same thing for musicians in any major orchestras.

There are also a few top tier sight readers like Liszt and Prokofiev who can sight read an orchestral score (keep in mind there are transposing instruments like Bb trumpets and clarinets) while simultaneously reducing that full score to play on the piano.

So I'm happy for whoever it is you're talking about, but it's not astounding or extraordinary. And actually those music from the games aren't that difficult to sight read.
I gotta go with this. I think guitarists are much more impressed with sight-reading as it's something guitarists struggle with (if they even bother to try to sightread at all). But the whole idea that sightreading can't be done on a guitar is a myth.
Quote by The Madcap
I gotta go with this. I think guitarists are much more impressed with sight-reading as it's something guitarists struggle with (if they even bother to try to sightread at all). But the whole idea that sightreading can't be done on a guitar is a myth.

To be fair, guitar is one of the most difficult instruments to sight-read on.
Quote by StewieSwan
To be fair, guitar is one of the most difficult instruments to sight-read on.
It is harder than other instruments probably, but I think the difference is exaggerated a lot. I think part of the reason is that sightreading in music schools for guitar was a lot less emphasized than other instruments. It's attention has been rising more recently, though.
good god i love ragtime piano

i mean holy shit i never listen to ragtime and it's now one of my favorite piano sounds
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
That was Steve Vai's trick with Zappa. He would challenge people in the audience to bring the most complicated piece of music up for him to sight read.

Still cool nevertheless
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by Primus2112
good god i love ragtime piano

i mean holy shit i never listen to ragtime and it's now one of my favorite piano sounds

Ragtime piano is the greatest sound the ear can hear.

Quote by The Madcap
It is harder than other instruments probably, but I think the difference is exaggerated a lot. I think part of the reason is that sightreading in music schools for guitar was a lot less emphasized than other instruments. It's attention has been rising more recently, though.

I can sightread on flute at a professional level, decently on piano, but I look like a fumbling child when sight reading on guitar
Quote by primusfan
that's my transciption. thanks ...

kidding.

yeah I just googled "entertainer score" and posted.

There are so many things wrong with the way that score was prepared, and it really does make a crucial difference in how easy and clear it is to read. Proper scores should visually and efficiently represent the music. All that did was represent a clusterfuck. Objects clashing into each other, completely off the walls note spacings and rhythmic divisions, terrible caligraphy, and cramming multiple voicings into one voice.

you do make a good point. had I learned to read on a
chordal instrument perhaps I wouldn't think it was such a big deal. when I learn tunes on piano it's either harmonization of a lead sheet or I sit and struggle with the score for a few hours. and that's just for pop songs.

Well if piano isn't your primary instrument I guess you can't be blamed...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
My dad sightreads everything he plays, apart from his favorites and he's not a professional musician. When I played the clarinet I was sightreading but I always played at half the speed the first couple of times. IMHO nothing impressive.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by The Madcap

Another part is the fact that the guitar has many redundancies of notes so you have to decide which place to play the note where an instrument like the piano only has one key that gives one specific note.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Quote by rjdusa
Another part is the fact that the guitar has many redundancies of notes so you have to decide which place to play the note where an instrument like the piano only has one key that gives one specific note.

also, depending on the other notes of the chord, you fingers may have to twist a completely different way then it would if a certain note was a half step up or down
Quote by StewieSwan
I can sightread on flute at a professional level, decently on piano, but I look like a fumbling child when sight reading on guitar
Fair enough, brah.
Quote by rjdusa
Quote by Unourrit01
also, depending on the other notes of the chord, you fingers may have to twist a completely different way then it would if a certain note was a half step up or down
Yes, but guitar sheet music does usually have fingerings, positions, etc. labeled.
Last edited by The Madcap at Apr 27, 2011,
Page 1 of 2