i know the notes of the chord are C,E,G,Bb, and when i go to build the chord myself i make it like this,which give me all four notes.

E----------------------------------------------
A----- 3----------------------------------------
D------2-------------------------------------
G------3------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------
E------3-----------------------------------

But i look up how to play the chord and everywhere i look shows to play it like this,which only give me 3 of the notes.

E--------------------------------------------
A---------3-----------------------------------
D---------2---------------------------------
G---------3------------------------------------
B---------1----------------------------------
E----------------------------------------

The G note is the one that is missing which is the perfect fifth.So the best i can figure is the perfect fifth isn't necessary for the chord.

Would someone care to tell me if i am right or wrong and explain this to me?
Right, for starters you have the strings on the tab upside down which may be causing confusion.

Anyway, you're allowed to omit the 5th from chords as it has no real effect on the tonality of the chord, unless it has been altered in some way. Since C7 chords have a regular ol' perfect fifth, omission is fine.
Those are both fine. Fifths aren't generally necessary to establish a chord unless the chord's tonality is defined by its fifth, like a diminished or augmented chord. Also, your tabs are upside-down.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
thanks for clearing that up.and yeah i didnt even realize i made the tabs upside down lol.
it's just a differen't way of playing it...
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
when chords contain a variety of extensions, it is often common practice to omit notes. The fifth is almost always the first to go, because it just compliments the tonic. If it has been altered, such as a b5, #5, you see where im going with this, it is kept. On guitar, chords like Cmaj11 are hard to play all the extensions. C E G B D and F, sure, you COULD play them all, because its 6 notes, and you have 6 strings. But it is often hard. So at first, we drop the 5th. Second most picked is actually the tonic note itself, because more or less, the bass instrument will cover it. so playing E B D and F is a lot easier than C D E F G B.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Listen to the difference:

x 3 5 3 5 3

x 3 2 3 x 3

and

8 x 8 9 8 x

and

x x 10 12 11 12

All the same chord, C7 ... Two voicings are exactly the same. Two voicings include the 5th and, except for the G on top, the barre at the 3rd fret is the same voicing as the grip on the 10th fret -- one octave difference.

If you play

x x 10 9 8 6

You get the "closed" voicing .... it not a guitar sounding ... more like how a beginner piano player would play the chord.

Also -- with x 3 2 3 x 3 you have more choices for extensions -- the 9th (D) and the 13th (A) are right there.

Just a little food for the fingers.
Quote by jayx124
the most important notes of the chords are the 3rd and 7th play these notes and you will see that you mind will fill in the root and the fifth. the fifth becomes and important note when it's altered b5 / #5

sorry but if you only play the 3 and the 7 wouldn't that just be the root and the 5 of the third scale degree.... like Cmaj7 is CEGB, B is the fifth of E so playing only the 3 and 7 gives you an E5. does that mean that when I play E5 i'm implying Cmaj7 and Eb5 implies Cmin7?

I'm not trying to argue with you but I would say that E5 implies Emaj or Emin much more so than any C chord, unless there are other instruments being used to imply a Cmaj feel, I guess I would say the root is kind of important to play during the chord, even if it's being played by another instrument it's still quite important.....

also I appologize if I am wrong, but if I am can you please explain why?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
^he means that the 3rd and the 7th are the defining characteristics of the chords. If there are other extensions, though should be factored in as well. But basically, the 5th is usually the least important chord tone.

Playing just the 3rd and 7th may be a little bare for most situations, but if you voice lead correctly, you can actually imply the harmonies that our sense of diatonicism will understand the position of harmony (so that we don't just interpret it as an E5). And if there is a bass or larger ensemble in addition to you, these diads are perfectly acceptable and balance out with the rest of the music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
^he means that the 3rd and the 7th are the defining characteristics of the chords. If there are other extensions, though should be factored in as well. But basically, the 5th is usually the least important chord tone.

Playing just the 3rd and 7th may be a little bare for most situations, but if you voice lead correctly, you can actually imply the harmonies that our sense of diatonicism will understand the position of harmony (so that we don't just interpret it as an E5). And if there is a bass or larger ensemble in addition to you, these diads are perfectly acceptable and balance out with the rest of the music.

oh yes I understand that but sitting at my guitar and just doing what he says doesn't imply a Cmaj7, thats what I was getting at. I understadn that the 5th is not too important but the root will most likely be implied somewhere....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
oh yes I understand that but sitting at my guitar and just doing what he says doesn't imply a Cmaj7, thats what I was getting at. I understadn that the 5th is not too important but the root will most likely be implied somewhere....

try doing this on a chord progression such as a ii-7 V7 IMaj7 and see how it sounds. I agree that in solo playing (only guitar) the root will be important, but playing with a group where you have the bass you can use rootless voicing.
Quote by jayx124
try doing this on a chord progression such as a ii-7 V7 IMaj7 and see how it sounds. I agree that in solo playing (only guitar) the root will be important, but playing with a group where you have the bass you can use rootless voicing.

again, I understand that but I was pointing out that you did not mention that in your original post. your original post said:

Quote by jayx124

the most important notes of the chords are the 3rd and 7th play these notes and you will see that you mind will fill in the root and the fifth. the fifth becomes and important note when it's altered b5 / #5

and if TS just picked up his guitar and tried this ^ he/she would not get the implied Cmajor but a simple E5. also your example doesn't say to have bass play the root, or that you should play a specific progression to hear it. that was my point.

I'll state again I understand the concept, I was pointing out how a newer guitarist (or any musician for that matter) may not already understand the concept, and may become confused by the posting I was responding to.
Quote by Dirk Gently