I just made a deal with a guy on a local classified website. I'm just getting into electric guitar and I wanted a small cheap amp to practice on.

We agreed on $80 for his used Peavey Rage 158. Today, he messaged me and said, "I have someone paying $100 for it tomorrow, but I guess I can give it to you tonight for $90. You should know it retails for like $180."

Is that true? I can't seem to find a decent retail value on the amp, prices are all over the place. I'm a little irritated with the guy for pullin' that on me after he said it was mine.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Yeah that's what I thought?!

(By the way I apologize, I now realize I should have posted this in guitar gear)
Yes. Even if he isn't lying, if he agreed to sell to you he has no right hearing additional offers after you've made the agreement. Do not do business with this guy - retract your offer and look somewhere else. If he throws a fit because you previosly agreed on $80, tell him that he agreed not to look for better offers. Plus, $80 is too much.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Tell him you'll pay $70 tomorrow. He's trying to nickle and dime you, like you said.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
You're getting ripped off. If you have 80 dollars to spend on a practice amp, there are much better choices than a Peavey Rage. Try the Roland Microcube, Peavey Vypyr, Vox AD or Fender Mustang. They're fairly common and you should be able to find a used one.
I've seen some finnish guys on a local website (for musicians to talk about music stuff and sell gear) price them around 40 to 60 euros, which is pretty much like 60 to 100 U.S dollars. Of course the prices are different here, which means they'd be lower there so, that was kind of a rip-off retail value.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by BobDetroit
Dude.. I've seen Guitar Center sell used Peavey Rage 158 for $20.

this, dde your getting ripped, don't give him more than $20, and if he gets pissed, tell him to f*** himself
Yeah I told him the deal is off.

It's frustrating as hell though. I figured a deal was a deal, you know? Don't take your word back. Frig.

Okay, so is it better for me to look for a used amp in a music store?
yea something used go into a guitar center and play around if you can or anywhere thatll let you sample their amps
i'd say look into a line 6 spider, roland cube or a peavey vypyr. the vypyr would definitely be a good choice for a beginnner amp. i actually have rage 158 sitting in a box, you can find way better for 100. it was a good practice/beginner amp like 10 years ago. id rather have a line 6 spider and i hate that amp.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by whyze250f
i'd say look into a line 6 spider, roland cube or a peavey vypyr. the vypyr would definitely be a good choice for a beginnner amp. i actually have rage 158 sitting in a box, you can find way better for 100. it was a good practice/beginner amp like 10 years ago. id rather have a line 6 spider and i hate that amp.

Don't get a spider. Just don't.
The vyper is your best bet for a practice/beginner amp.
But as mentioned before, go to your local music store, and test things out. Test stuff that's out of your price range too. It might convince you to save up a little longer and buy something better right away, and be happier, longer.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
The new Spiders aren't that bad. Not jaw-droppingly amazing. But not bad. They're as good as any other small modelling combo amp is going to be.

But yeah, Vyper is better for the straight tone. Or you can get some good 5w tube combo amps for a reasonable price these days.
Quote by Koshman32

just giving him some options. i hate spiders too. but some people like them, they arent bad for beginners to experiment with tone. i also recommended the vypyr
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by sashki
You're getting ripped off. If you have 80 dollars to spend on a practice amp, there are much better choices than a Peavey Rage. Try the Roland Microcube, Peavey Vypyr, Vox AD or Fender Mustang. They're fairly common and you should be able to find a used one.

I agree with this comment completely. The Peavey Rage 158 isnt anything special and for $20 more you could get a vypyr that will sound better and give you a TON more options. I think Musiciansfriend.com has them for $99 with free shipping.
Quote by Alucard817
70 to 80 bucks for a used Vypyr 15 is way too high when they retail for a 100 bucks.

i had no clue how much they retailed for. I was just showing that there was a much better option for a used amp for $80 - the price he was going to pay on the other amp.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Protip: As a buyer, make it look like you have very little interest in what the person is selling. Notice the way stores work. Customers don't compete for the highest bid; Stores compete for the lowest prices

Also, yes, the guy is trying to nickel and dime you
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Judging by the comments, I guess the Vypyr is the way to go.

I don't play much in the way of metal or anything really heavy, so I want it to sound clean.
How much is you're over all budget? A little tube amp might be your ticket, scour craigslist daily, I do it's a very good habit for a musician I think, if you got some expendable income that is.

On the subject of the 158, I got mine for $25 bucks from a kid at school, who apparently stole it, great starter amp, but the input jacks started to go so I am currently making the cab into a 1x10 neodymium bass speaker cab. In fact I saw a guy on craigslist selling one for $35 and I asked $20 and he said ok ( I want two 1x10 cabs) but then I can make the amps into small heads and sell them back perhaps, and make a small 2x8 in the process.
Go and buy yourself a Fender Frontman 25R for 99 bucks. You won't regret it.
you should also know he could just be telling you that.

almost any used solid state really isnt worth much at all. if they are smaller practice solid states, some stores wont even accept them because they have too many they cant get rid of.

honestly, 80 is probably too much. did you research craigslist prices?

180? HA. now the guy is being cheap. he things for an old ass solid state a loss of 100 is a lot? hes lucky to get 80. as said before, some people wont even buy solid states back, or give them for than 50 or so for them.

my bugera was 350-400 new. if i sold that now i probably wouldnt expect any more than 200 at most and it is 6 months old and a tube amp. i know this. i dont care, cause i plan on using it probably until it breaks.

either hes playing people, or as no grip on the market and understand of buying power. sometimes, given your cash on hand, you have to buy something knowing you will lose your ass later just cause you need teh gear. not everybody can afford big names that hold resale.

it doesnt matter if he paid 180. if nobody will buy it, it is worthless. for example, used line 6 spiders are about as valuble as a few pesos. i mean, thats a gift to a first timer. thats abut all you can do with them.
i know this is late but try a pawn shop i got a great deal on a peavy and you can haggle with most of them
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I ended up buying a package that came with a 10w Orange amp and I like it a lot. Works just fine for what I need.