Page 1 of 2
Link

Supporters of Proposition 8, California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, are asking that a judge's injunction barring the measure's enforcement be thrown out because the judge failed to disclose his involvement in a long-term same-sex relationship. In August, then-U.S. Chief Judge Vaughn Walker ruled the measure violates the Constitution's equal protection clause. "Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples," Walker wrote in his 136-page opinion. But on April 6, Walker ended months of speculation by publicly disclosing "that he is gay and that he has been in a committed relationship for more than 10 years," said a motion filed Monday by Proposition 8 backers. In previous press reports, according to the motion, Walker refused comment on his sexual orientation.

Discuss.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
they probably have the oedipus complex.

sorry, just celebrating my new adopted persona.

anyway, if a black judge was presiding over a case involving a racial crime against, or committed by a black person, would the judge have to step down? it's a very versatile and at the same time redundant topic.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
sorry, just celebrating my new adopted persona.

You want to have sex with your mother?
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
California... I'm disapoint.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
California... I'm disapoint.

This. I thought you were above such foolishness.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
The people of California voted and they banned gay marriage. That's what a democracy is supposed to be, not one biased judge deciding for the people.
Quote by mullet1337
You want to have sex with your mother?

i see you're deflecting.

why don't you take a seat over there and tell me about your mother?
Quote by paul.matthew
The people of California voted and they banned gay marriage. That's what a democracy is supposed to be, not one biased judge deciding for the people.

If you want to go that route, there's substantial evidence that the majority of advertising and organizing that supported Prop 8 was funded by groups with little to no presence in California.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by paul.matthew

I bet over 90% of people in California want to legalize drugs, but that's not happening.
Quote by paul.matthew

It's a good thing the United States is a constitutional Republic with guaranteed inalienable rights granted to its citizens that are immune from the bullshit ravings of fascist pricks.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Clearly the gay community has not taken into account all the damage they'll cause by being gay uninhibited and enjoying the same things that other human beings enjoy.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by laid-to-waste
I bet over 90% of people in California want to legalize drugs, but that's not happening.

umm prop 19 was in November to vote on legalizing marijuana and it lost 54 to 46 percent. So obviously not.
Quote by paul.matthew

Minority rights. Look it up.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by TheBurningFish
Clearly the gay community has not taken into account all the damage they'll cause by being gay uninhibited and enjoying the same things that other human beings enjoy.

I know. Being gay has been linked with cancer, widespread war, murder, rape, itches you can't scratch, death, Ryan Seacrest, and general tomfoolery.

EDIT: Most of the people who want weed legalized in California aren't old enough to vote and punch cops in the face the go home and get drunk with their friend.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by CG Man16
Minority rights. Look it up.

Since when does one biased judge have the right to decide on minority rights?
Quote by paul.matthew

One, what makes him biased, and two, its not just one judge, its almost 250 years of legal precedent, the written laws of the US and California, as well as the judge, whose role in the matter is minor compared to the above items.
Quote by paul.matthew

He doesn't, but he does have the right to rule on the constitution, which is his job.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by paul.matthew

First off, you don't live in a democracy, you live in a representative republic with three branches of government, the courts being one of them. The courts are there to decide if what we are doing as a nation is legal. Our system is meant to have judges deciding for the people, actually, but thanks for trying.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by laid-to-waste
i see you're deflecting.

why don't you take a seat over there and tell me about your mother?

Let me tell you about my mother...
Though this is a very gray case, and I don't know whether it's right or wrong for it to be thrown out. I mean if there is a conflict of interest a judge is supposed to excuse himself from a court, but at the same time, one could argue a conflict for a straight judge.
Quote by tayroar
Though this is a very gray case, and I don't know whether it's right or wrong for it to be thrown out. I mean if there is a conflict of interest a judge is supposed to excuse himself from a court, but at the same time, one could argue a conflict for a straight judge.

I see no conflict of interest, everyone has a sexuality that would potentially bias them.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by laid-to-waste

Yeah, 90% of 13 year olds
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I see no conflict of interest, everyone has a sexuality that would potentially bias them.

I mean if someone is to benefit from a law passing, I'd say there'd be a conflict of interest. I understand your point, but I'd rather see Gay Marriage succeed through the system without anyone being able to say it's not legitimate, and this would be an argument against it.
Quote by tayroar
I mean if someone is to benefit from a law passing, I'd say there'd be a conflict of interest.

Judges put away criminals every day, and by that logic any judge would have a conflict of interest because they don't want to get robbed.
Quote by TDS
Judges put away criminals every day, and by that logic any judge would have a conflict of interest because they don't want to get robbed.

That's clearly not the same thing at all. I'm just saying it's difficult to say. I'm for gay marriage, but it should go through the proper way. Just because we agree with something doesn't mean it shouldn't be handled legally, and again it's hard to say with whether it was moral or immoral what he did. He may legitimately have gone through it unbiased, but the fact that he is gay makes the whole thing controversial when he could have stepped down and avoided the controversy all together and Prop 8 wouldn't be facing another overturn right now.
Quote by tayroar
That's clearly not the same thing at all. I'm just saying it's difficult to say. I'm for gay marriage, but it should go through the proper way. Just because we agree with something doesn't mean it shouldn't be handled legally, and again it's hard to say with whether it was moral or immoral what he did. He may legitimately have gone through it unbiased, but the fact that he is gay makes the whole thing controversial when he could have stepped down and avoided the controversy all together and Prop 8 wouldn't be facing another overturn right now.

The whole idea of having to vote gay marriage in is absurd. Equality under the law. Done.
Quote by TDS
The whole idea of having to vote gay marriage in is absurd. Equality under the law. Done.

I agree there should be equality in the law, I didn't say anything against gay marriage, but we currently don't have equality, and to get it we should go through the proper channels.
Quote by tayroar
I agree there should be equality in the law, I didn't say anything against gay marriage, but we currently don't have equality, and to get it we should go through the proper channels.

The ballot box is not the appropriate channel. This issue requires a judge's ruling on existing law. Maybe they should find a bisexual judge to make sure there is no bias?
Quote by tayroar

This is the proper channels, it's a judge upholding the constitution in order to defend minority rights. That judge shouldn't be questioned because of some perceived bias, he is just as qualified to judge on it as a religious judge is to judge on freedom of religion or a judge who dislikes torture is to judge on cruel and unusual punishment.
It's not like he is the final authority on this, if people disagree they can take it further, not attempt to slander this judge because of his sexuality.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
The Proposition 8 backers emphasize that in the motion, they are not suggesting a gay or lesbian judge could not hear the case -- only that no judge should try a case where they might have an interest in the outcome.

I thought every judge has an interest in following the law and providing justice, especially in such big issues as this one?

Anyways, if they really wanted an unbiased judge, they should've found one and made him swear that he has no interest in marriage one way or the other, regardless of his sexual orientation, and they should've made sure that the judge was completely unbiased on the topic of marriage altogether. What they're trying to pull right now is just retarded.

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by MAC2322
This. I thought you were above such foolishness.

California is full of crybaby treehugging hippie stoners. "we're sticking it to The Man braah. Lemme drive mah jeep to the beach so I can GTL all day brah"
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
California is full of crybaby treehugging hippie stoners. "we're sticking it to The Man braah. Lemme drive mah jeep to the beach so I can GTL all day brah"

I wish I could drive my jeep to the beach
Quote by Ur all $h1t
This is the proper channels, it's a judge upholding the constitution in order to defend minority rights. That judge shouldn't be questioned because of some perceived bias, he is just as qualified to judge on it as a religious judge is to judge on freedom of religion or a judge who dislikes torture is to judge on cruel and unusual punishment.
It's not like he is the final authority on this, if people disagree they can take it further, not attempt to slander this judge because of his sexuality.

That's what I thought. People don't freak out when a Christian judge rules for laws regarding religion.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You see, in America, everyone is equal with no questions asked...

...Unless a Black Man is in office...then he wasn't born in America...

...or you're Gay and want to get married...then it's an abomination

America, as much as i love my country, has too many glaring flaws. The founding fathers wanted to keep religion out of politics, and that is the only reason people are against gay marriage: There's, believe it or not, a LOT of Mormon people in California...
Quote by devourke
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Well Taz is just full retard
I think you'll find that the more acceptable term is "australian"

Funniest Exchange i've read on UG

I would have consensual relations with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Call me Dean or Vill
Page 1 of 2