Does any one here regularly read/buy the journal Nature? If so, would you be able to tell me the price of it in the UK? Is it worth the price? Is a years subscription worth £80?

EDIT: I study biology in uni, if that makes any difference.
i always get newscientist, i don't even know a journal called nature.

also, if it's weekly, which is likely, you're paying about 1.50 per piece if you pay 80 annually, so i'm guessing it's around 1.80 or 2.00, which makes a nice profit. if you're committed enough, yeah, subscribe.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Your uni almost certainly will have a subscription to Nature and you should be able to access it online or at worst find it in a library.

In terms of actually reading it, it can be very interesting but probably not overly relevant in an undergraduate degree apart from review papers really.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Your uni almost certainly will have a subscription to Nature and you should be able to access it online or at worst find it in a library.

In terms of actually reading it, it can be very interesting but probably not overly relevant in an undergraduate degree apart from review papers really.

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I thought this guy was gonna have some sort of revelation and needed help figuring out how to do/make it... I am disappoint
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
MY uni does have a subscription to it, though I am an hour trip away, don't tend to go while I'm off unless I need to. Of course as well, to access anything they have online, you need to access it from a university computer. -.-"

I'm aware also that it probably won't be overly relevant to me at the minute, I was really just going to get it out of interest, plus I want to do a PHD after I finish, so it could be handy then.
Quote by TimTheWizard
I thought this guy was gonna have some sort of revelation and needed help figuring out how to do/make it... I am disappoint

me too
Quote by robhc
MY uni does have a subscription to it, though I am an hour trip away, don't tend to go while I'm off unless I need to. Of course as well, to access anything they have online, you need to access it from a university computer. -.-"

I'm aware also that it probably won't be overly relevant to me at the minute, I was really just going to get it out of interest, plus I want to do a PHD after I finish, so it could be handy then.

Are you sure? That's what your ATHENS login is for.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Yeah, though I think Nature uses Shiboleth instead, basically click the shiboleth link and choose your institution, I got a Nature jounal not too long ago for my dissertation, so as long as your at a reasonable uni you should be able to get it too

Edit: I just looked, and if you go to the journal, just below where it says buy this article, theres a link called Institution access. Click that and follow instructions
Last edited by l3vity at Apr 26, 2011,
I'd be surprised if there isn't a way you can log in at home through your university to get to their paper subscriptions.

Another thing is i've read several papers in nature whilst doing my geology degree, its quite a diverse publication and covers more than just biology. If you dont have underlying background knowledge of the subject in question it can be quite counterproductive as you can interpret something completely wrong without realising, or the author could have some massive flaws in their main arguement (although with nature it should be quite good science).
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

We haven't been given one. I'm sure if I asked for details I could probably get it though.

Quote by l3vity
Yeah, though I think Nature uses Shiboleth instead, basically click the shiboleth link and choose your institution, I got a Nature jounal not too long ago for my dissertation, so as long as your at a reasonable uni you should be able to get it too

Edit: I just looked, and if you go to the journal, just below where it says buy this article, theres a link called Institution access. Click that and follow instructions

Looks at location, lulz...

Quote by StonaLemons
I'd be surprised if there isn't a way you can log in at home through your university to get to their paper subscriptions.

Another thing is i've read several papers in nature whilst doing my geology degree, its quite a diverse publication and covers more than just biology. If you dont have underlying background knowledge of the subject in question it can be quite counterproductive as you can interpret something completely wrong without realising, or the author could have some massive flaws in their main arguement (although with nature it should be quite good science).

Just checked, apparently there is a way for us to log in, I just don't have the credentials -.-"

I would only really be reading it for the biology articles anyways, maybe a few chemistry.
We've been recommended mainly Nature, and Science as well to a lesser extent. Reason I looked it up.