I think you guys might have been right. My Behringer seems to be getting worse and worse with each passing day, and im worried that it might not be long before it poops out on me. Along with the static that it starts off with as soon as I turn it on, now there is a wierd buzzing noise that comes out when I thump on a note. Oddly enough, it only occurs when I have my treble knob all the way up

But I have a few major problems. One, I dont know if its truly the amp? Could it be the bass? I thought it could've been the cable, but I tried out another cable and it still made those horrible sounds. I really doubt its the bass though, I have not abused it in any way, and its not even a year old yet.

Two, as you all know, im saving for a new bass and im halfway there. I really dont want to end up buying a new bass and have the thing die on me and im left without an amp. Should I buy the bass and see if this thing holds up (assuming it doesnt die on me before then) or should I just buy a new amp and save myself from inevitability?

Worst case, I need to buy a new amp. If I do this, I really do NOT want a combo. I feel like it's time for an upgrade. Amp and cab is preferred. 300-400w minimum power, ill need it for practicing with a drummer on occasion. I was thinking Acoustic and maybe GK? Any recommendations are welcomed.

-awaits everybody to point and me a laugh -

tl;dr - Might need a new amp. 300-400w minimum, must be head and cab, no combos. Suggestions?

EDIT: Budget around $400-$600.
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Apr 26, 2011,
if you go acoustic youll have to go for either the b200 or the b600. the 200 is underpowered acording to what you want and the b600 is $500

although really i have a b200 through the matching 410 and its as loud as i think ill ever need.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Your Behringer has worked this long? Somebody call Ripley's Believe it or Not!

I seriously doubt that it is your bass that is failing. The Acoustic B200 is pretty loud. Depending on what the guitarist(s) in your band are using, it should be loud enough.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Peavey Mark amps were very good. For the head and a 2x15 cab, that's a pretty good deal.
Ok... everyone at once, lets get this out of the way first

OK, I'm done.

Helpful:

I saw a Hartke HA5500 (I think) for $200US used on the Guitar Center website a while back. Well worth checking out, great amp.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by FatalGear41
Peavey Mark amps were very good. For the head and a 2x15 cab, that's a pretty good deal.

Ill be able to try them out on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Quote by gilly_90
*asshole*

Helpful:

I saw a Hartke HA5500 (I think) for $200US used on the Guitar Center website a while back. Well worth checking out, great amp.

Out of all the Hartkes I tried, I didnt like any of them. The sound was so bad, I really dont know what it was. Maybe it was the aluminum speakers or something. I dont want to give them a bad name though, ill keep this in mind.

Atleast I know im never going Behringer again. Not worth the risk.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Ill be able to try them out on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Out of all the Hartkes I tried, I didnt like any of them. The sound was so bad, I really dont know what it was. Maybe it was the aluminum speakers or something. I dont want to give them a bad name though, ill keep this in mind.

Atleast I know im never going Behringer again. Not worth the risk.

Hartke VX cabinets with the traditional speakers sound a lot better than the aluminum cones, IMHO. I don't know about the half-aluminum HyDrive speakers. I tried a couple of the HyDrive combos and they all distorted at low volumes. Not good.

I see Hartke redesigned the Kilo amp and it may finally be available. I'd like to try that one.
I don't like Aluminium speakers either.

The thing about Hartke's is that they are madly transparent, so small changes with EQs and the bass you're playing, strings etc make a big difference to the sound.

(You might want to re-evaluate your sig)
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by FatalGear41
Hartke VX cabinets with the traditional speakers sound a lot better than the aluminum cones, IMHO. I don't know about the half-aluminum HyDrive speakers. I tried a couple of the HyDrive combos and they all distorted at low volumes. Not good.

I see Hartke redesigned the Kilo amp and it may finally be available. I'd like to try that one.

That's pretty much what i heard. A wierd distortiony sound that just didnt sound good. Even when I cranked it, it just didnt have enough 'oomph'.

Quote by gilly_90
I don't like Aluminium speakers either.

The thing about Hartke's is that they are madly transparent, so small changes with EQs and the bass you're playing, strings etc make a big difference to the sound.

(You might want to re-evaluate your sig)

I played it with the BTB675, didnt expect it to sound that bad (not blaming the bass).

Oh and, fixed.
pinga
Quote by gilly_90
You might want to re-evaluate your sig

After watching dozens of guitarists practically come to blows over this brand of tube vs. that brand of tube, I think it is appropriate. Most of them still haven't figured out that a lot of those tubes are made side-by-side in the same Chinese or Russian factories and just branded with different names.

Or do you mean that there are no more than six and a half billion people on earth?
I meant CB4 <_<
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

what information do you want?

I found this

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300912.pdf
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
I meant CB4 <_<

Agreed. I like his new sig much better.
^ you'd think he wouldn't have to go to such lengths to sell an amp.

Sorry I'm a little tardy to the party here, I see your title as champion of all things Behringer has been revoked. I'll vouch for the Peavey, provided its in good condition. That one's a Mark VI right? I almost bought one when I was looking at amps, excellent head, built like a tank. Plus a 2x15 for that cheap is just a great deal.

Looks like your used amp prices beat the used basses in your area eh?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
My BX3000 is still going after... 5, 6 years? Does it's job well as a 30 watt practice amp I guess.
Those Peavey Marks are built like brick shithouses and have a pretty decent sound, you can't really go wrong for $200 if it works properly.

Quote by Cb4rabid
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/msg/2344309543.html

oh god, I just opened this one up and started laughing im sorry if its innapropriate, but its pretty WTF random.

Quote by craigslist guy
And sorry guys..She doesnt come with the amp

He'd have to give me the amp plus an extra couple grand to take that ugly skank.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 27, 2011,
behringer amps work great for a little while :p. so if your a pro and have a tech, your fine. Hell there were a few behringers on warped tour last year and im sure ill see some this year
Quote by Cb4rabid
That's pretty much what i heard. A wierd distortiony sound that just didnt sound good. Even when I cranked it, it just didnt have enough 'oomph'.

agreed. Avoid Harktes like the plague, they sound atrocious.
Quote by consecutive e
My BX3000 is still going after... 5, 6 years? Does it's job well as a 30 watt practice amp I guess.
Those Peavey Marks are built like brick shithouses and have a pretty decent sound, you can't really go wrong for $200 if it works properly.

He'd have to give me the amp plus an extra couple grand to take that ugly skank.

Agreed. Obviously one of those slags who thinks quite highly of herself. Can't disagree with the cleavage, but she's channeling some Amy Winehouse plus peroxide with her grill.
Quote by xkmattx
behringer amps work great for a little while :p. so if your a pro and have a tech, your fine. Hell there were a few behringers on warped tour last year and im sure ill see some this year

Dont mind to be such a dick but...
If you are a pro may aswell get ONE good amp then fix the same crappy one over and over...
I'm a bit late but...

You deserve that, now repent for your sins or recommending people buy utter shite.

If you were in the UK I'd suggest setting up an Ashdown rig with a Little Giant, do Acoustic do something similar?
Last edited by Spaz91 at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by UnoriginalUsern
agreed. Avoid Harktes like the plague, they sound atrocious.

Holy opinion, Batman!
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Tostitos
^ you'd think he wouldn't have to go to such lengths to sell an amp.

Sorry I'm a little tardy to the party here, I see your title as champion of all things Behringer has been revoked. I'll vouch for the Peavey, provided its in good condition. That one's a Mark VI right? I almost bought one when I was looking at amps, excellent head, built like a tank. Plus a 2x15 for that cheap is just a great deal.

Looks like your used amp prices beat the used basses in your area eh?

The dude selling it said it was a Mark VIII. Maybe he used a stock photo, im not sure. Hopefully ill see it on saturday and try that thing out.

Amp market > bass market here. I saw a used squier for $300 seriously wtf?

Quote by consecutive e

Everywhere ive read about them, there really hasnt been one negative thing said about them. Thanks for confirming it

Oh and my amp still works, its just giving me troubling sounds and im not going to wait until it fries on me to buy another one. As much as you guys bash behringer, I will atleast say that it did its job for as long as it lasted. I still think the tone I got from it was pretty good, and without it, I wouldnt have been as good as I am today. And for that, im thankful. All im saying.
pinga

but in all honestly, go into the store and try out every combination possible to you, don't be self conscious, if anything the staff will be impressed.

I always recommend the ashdown MAG though, packs a punch, pretty cheap and it's got a 5 band EQ, so it's not too complicated but not too simple. Weighs a ton though
the peavey marks are good for the money, and are very sturdy. i would say go for it definitely worth trying it out if possible though.

and regarding the hartke stuff, i have a hartke lh 1000 head with one of their 410 hydrive cabs and i have had no issue whatsoever with it. it sounds great, even at low volumes, and i've never experienced any distortion. the only negative point i can make about it is that is has a rather simplistic eq, but that isn't the end of the world.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
i recommend peavey by far. my firebass was cheap and puts out great punch even with my el cheapo rogue. and my max 158 is a ballsy little practice amp. good luck getting any dirt out of them though. you have to crank it to get any and by then you have 2 half stacks buried under the ground begging for mercy, so id get a dirt pedal for that if its your thing.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Looks like the guy is still on for Saturday. This Peavey deal is looking good, you guys might be seeing a NAD thread soon

He needs me to be there before 12pm though :/ I really want this thing.
pinga