All right so I'd like some professional opinions once again.

I'm looking into buy a starter electric. I've been looking at Guitar Center, and found a lot of great priced used Ibanez guitars. I'm partial to Ibanez and would like to buy one, but I'm not that familiar with their electric guitars.

Since I live in Canada and would have to have the guitar shipped, I obviously can't test them. So I was just hoping to get some feedback on what type of used Ibanez electric would be my best pick (or at least as good as possible) for under $200. I'm looking for something that plays easily and sounds clean.

Thanks!
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
since you live in canada go to long and mcquade and try some stuff out
Quote by Tom 1.0
Keep saving.

I don't know, there's a lot of selection on there. And I don't really want to drop a lot of money on an electric. I just want to get something to start out with. I have the money to get something nicer, I just don't want to spend it on a starter.
im biased cause ive had a lot of trouble with ibanez but ill try to help
200 doesnt give you a lot to choose from really with that budget id say the RG120, its got a thin neck n ive heard some good things about it and people been able to shred with it idk what style you plan to play, when i first started i bought te epi lp sp II pack for 260 and it served me well for years, i know the guitar it self sells for 170 and its pretty nice, easy to work around its neck adn sounds pretty nice for a basic guitar just my opinion though
Quote by Reizei
im biased cause ive had a lot of trouble with ibanez but ill try to help
200 doesnt give you a lot to choose from really with that budget id say the RG120, its got a thin neck n ive heard some good things about it and people been able to shred with it idk what style you plan to play, when i first started i bought te epi lp sp II pack for 260 and it served me well for years, i know the guitar it self sells for 170 and its pretty nice, easy to work around its neck adn sounds pretty nice for a basic guitar just my opinion though

I'd consider an Epi LP...

Thanks for the suggestion.
TBH any RG or Gio will have the shitty Edge III.

TS if you have to have any Ibanez for around 200 dollars, any 2nd hand Ibanez S will be the better buy as the ZR trem is possibly the best trem on any guitar you can find on any sub 500 dollar guitar.

Though if you could find an Ibanez SA160, they are very nice and dont have a fully floating trem so would be ideal if your just getting into electrics.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Though if you could find an Ibanez SA160, they are very nice and dont have a fully floating trem so would be ideal if your just getting into electrics.

I had a look and the only one they have is $180 but it has a giant Darwin fish on it. Hahaha. I'll keep looking though. Thanks.
is it non removable?

cause honestly, if your new to the electric guitar you are going to want either a hardtail or a vintage trem.

the sa160 would be your best bet or maybe if you can find an ART320 yu could have a result on one of those.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

Since it seems like a lot of people are not loving Ibanez, are there any others under the $200 range (used) you guys would recommend? It's startin' to look like I'd better open up my options a little more.
Quote by Tom 1.0

If i'm not wrong, the new ibanez guitars will not have the edge III. They will have the edge-zero II bridge
Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2
Last edited by Zainprox at Apr 27, 2011,
I wouldn't recommend a guitar that costs less than $200, unless it came with a free baloon and lollipop or something (And the guitar was free as well).

Hang on, you've been a member of this forum since August 2007 and your looking for a beginner guitar for under $200?
METAL!
RG120s are actually a good buy for the money...just make sure you play one before you buy it because they can be hit and miss. My friend has one and I end up playing it more than him, I love the neck on it
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Quote by Tom 1.0

TS if you have to have any Ibanez for around 200 dollars, any 2nd hand Ibanez S will be the better buy as the ZR trem is possibly the best trem on any guitar you can find on any sub 500 dollar guitar.

this right here. i would like to add that the SA are incredible guitars for the money especially if you like the feel of an ibby but don't necessarily want a floating trem, and also the versatility of the HSS as oppose to the HSH config.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Zainprox
If i'm not wrong, the new ibanez guitars will not have the edge III. They will have the edge-zero II bridge

you arent but they will also be far more than $200.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by FirstDegree
I had a look and the only one they have is $180 but it has a giant Darwin fish on it. Hahaha. I'll keep looking though. Thanks.

I would be like, all over that shit for a first guitar.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by FirstDegree
All right so I'd like some professional opinions once again.

I'm looking into buy a starter electric. I've been looking at Guitar Center, and found a lot of great priced used Ibanez guitars. I'm partial to Ibanez and would like to buy one, but I'm not that familiar with their electric guitars.

Since I live in Canada and would have to have the guitar shipped, I obviously can't test them. So I was just hoping to get some feedback on what type of used Ibanez electric would be my best pick (or at least as good as possible) for under $200. I'm looking for something that plays easily and sounds clean.

Thanks!

My first Ibanez is the RGR321EX you can probably pick one up on ebay close to your budget. Its really easy to play if your into thin necks, action is low out of the box and sounds solid. I would recommend. I have to say I do love Ibanez brand, I've had that guitar for about a year, maybe two and its served me well... Now playing a s5470f which is amazing but I still go back to RG.
Quote by kandex
RG120s are actually a good buy for the money...just make sure you play one before you buy it because they can be hit and miss. My friend has one and I end up playing it more than him, I love the neck on it

I can attest to this. The RG120 was my first guitar and, while the trem can be a little annoying, it was wonderful. I still play it to this day and I can't part with it... means too much to me. If the trem is really a big deal, it's really simple to block, and when you do that, you have a great starter guitar on your hands. Great neck, simple design, not much to go wrong, and I don't regret having it as my first instrument. But if you really want a trem and are going to use it, I'd go with what Tom said and try to snag a used S. The ZR is an excellent trem system.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Ultraussie
Hang on, you've been a member of this forum since August 2007 and your looking for a beginner guitar for under $200?

Yes. Is that a problem?

If you'd read my post, you'd have noticed I said I'm looking for a starter electric guitar. Because I don't play electric, I play acoustic.

But I don't have to explain that to a seasoned player like you, what with a year and a half of guitar playing under your belt.
Good come back.

Now go buy that SA and mod it!!!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
IMO the edge zero ii hasnt been truely tested yet so i'm not going to say its good.
I mean i know its on the premiums but still ibanez has put crap on there higher mid range non prestige guitars before.
I bought a RGA42 new in february as a total noob and I like it a lot. Of course I don't have anything to compare with, since I didn't feel like trying out a lot of guitars at stores when I hardly knew how to play a G chord, but I tried a similar RG model in a store, researched the RGA42 online and consulted a guitar-playing pal for advice. I think I made the right choice with a fixed bridge to avoid having to spend too much time tuning and changing strings and active humbuckers are nice for metal.

Even if you can't find a used RGA42 (or RGA32 for that matter) in your price range, I'd advise you to try on different guitars in a store if you can, see how an Ibanez neck feels for example, talk to the guys there, and consider a fixed bridge. Learning (electric) guitar should be made as easy as possible IMHO.

Good luck!
Quote by coolstoryangus
IMO the edge zero ii hasnt been truely tested yet so i'm not going to say its good.
I mean i know its on the premiums but still ibanez has put crap on there higher mid range non prestige guitars before.

I agree, personally I would go hardtail for a starter electric, and if you want ibanez ,theres not much choice but try searching for a used SZ or a RGA
Quote by kirigoe
Even if you can't find a used RGA42 (or RGA32 for that matter) in your price range, I'd advise you to try on different guitars in a store if you can, see how an Ibanez neck feels for example, talk to the guys there, and consider a fixed bridge. Learning (electric) guitar should be made as easy as possible IMHO.

Good luck!

Yeah that seems the best way to go. I've heard Ibanez electrics have thinner necks. And that is the case on my acoustic, but I like it a lot that way.