Poll: Which?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which?
27 45%
22 37%
11 18%
Voters: 60.
Yea got wait listed/rejected at my top choices so I am down to these. Have to figure this shit out by May 1st. First a few things, I have no idea what I want to do. Leaning towards something in medicine. I am definably going to grad school, so take that into account with the debt. My parent's are not contributing anything to college so it all loans for me Also, I will swim at every college I go to. Here are my choices:

1. State school.
Pros:
Have part athletic/academic scholarship.
Team has good parties.
Division 1 athletics. Team is pretty good.

Cons:
Will pay about 15k a year.
Not particularly regarded in academics.
In middle of a large city

2. Private school.
Pros:
Very highly regarded.
ranked in the top 10 in US News.
Could get into almost any grad school if keep my grades up.

Cons:
Academics are extremely difficult.
Swim team isn't very good.
20k a year
d3

3. Local college
Pros:
Cheap, only 3k a year
Familiar
Close to home
swim team is cool
will get a full ride sophomore year (coach ran out of money this year)

Cons
Would have to live at home for the first year
I ****ing live here
school isn't that great
lots of idiots only looking to get drunk

What do you guys think? Money or prestige or gtfo my house?
Last edited by MrOrang3 at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Look for scholarships, the way our economy's looking, you most likely are going to graduate and go into a job market that is extremely competitive with less jobs that need filling. Because of that I wouldn't exactly go to the pvt school and another thing you have to consider is that, living on campus could be up 2x or more expensive than living off.

My choice would be the state school, but only you can really choose where you want to go
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Which one has the horniest girls? Thats the one you go to
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
All things considered, I'd go to the Private School. 5k more a year really isn't that much more when it comes to it and from what it sounds like, you'd be getting a lot more. Academics being difficult should not be in the con section if you plan on going to medical school. I would not want a doctor working on me who wanted to coast through school.

May I ask what the private school is? And the state school for that matter.
Last edited by C_Miller at Apr 26, 2011,
1 or 2. Leaning toward 1, but I probably put too much focus on athletics.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
When in doubt, State College.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Contact the private school and ask for more money. Thank them for whatever aid you've already received and explain that you really want to go but can't afford it. They'll most likely be able to pull a good chunk of change out of their asses. Same goes for the state school but just from your descriptions it seems like you want to go to the private school.

That's what a friend did and she got an extra scholarship. I'm doing the same, haven't heard from the school yet though.

Names of the schools perchance? just curious.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.

take the free year and then transfer out to a better school with your awesome gpa.
<3 u
state school, if its big. I went to a private school for under grad which was fine for what i needed. however I also dated a girl in the bio department who always talked about how she wished she had gone to one of the bigger state schools because they had better equipment.

It wasnt an issue for me because as an engineer, all i need is paper and a slide rule. but shes doing dna manipulation and shit, so sure you can do it without the fancy equipment, but you end up spending a month doing what the machine could do in 3 hours.

so I mean thats really what you need to think about. can the school actually offer you the education you desire? cost is not the issue, theres always loans and scholarships for that.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Quote by robertito696
Contact the private school and ask for more money. Thank them for whatever aid you've already received and explain that you really want to go but can't afford it. They'll most likely be able to pull a good chunk of change out of their asses. Same goes for the state school but just from your descriptions it seems like you want to go to the private school.

That's what a friend did and she got an extra scholarship. I'm doing the same, haven't heard from the school yet though.

Names of the schools perchance? just curious.

The private is University of Chicago.
State schools can be really awesome, depending. I'm at a public school and we have great programs for virtually anything. What specific state school vs. private schools? I know people complain about the size of an area or school, but honestly, it is what you make of it, and you can forge a really tight community even in a big city/school.

EDIT: Chicago is awesome though, especially for social sciences (even though they denied me)
Last edited by kaptkegan at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by satanicgurrl
state school, if its big. I went to a private school for under grad which was fine for what i needed. however I also dated a girl in the bio department who always talked about how she wished she had gone to one of the bigger state schools because they had better equipment.

It wasnt an issue for me because as an engineer, all i need is paper and a slide rule. but shes doing dna manipulation and shit, so sure you can do it without the fancy equipment, but you end up spending a month doing what the machine could do in 3 hours.

so I mean thats really what you need to think about. can the school actually offer you the education you desire? cost is not the issue, theres always loans and scholarships for that.

Idk man 80k in debt by the time I graduate plus whatever I have for grad school.
I'd go with the private school. Only 5 grand more a year sounds like it's well worth it in this case. Also sounds like it's worth it in comparison to the local.

Edit:
Quote by MrOrang3
Idk man 80k in debt by the time I graduate plus whatever I have for grad school.

Shit, I guess that's after financial aid. Put more consideration into the local, I guess. :/
Last edited by bloodtrocuted93 at Apr 26, 2011,
I think you should take a year off to try living INDEPENDENTLY, then I suggest you go to a local college to get transferrable credits for waaaay cheaper. Nobody gives a **** where you spent the majority of your time, only where your diploma says you did.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by captaincrunk
I went to a private school. I don't regret the decision.

Yet you're copying a State schooler. Says a lot...
Here's the thing you didnt give enough information. So far it seems like your primary concerns are the parties, cost and whether they have a swim team. None of these three things make a good doctor, or will help you gain a medical degree. The field your thinking of getting into is no joke man, it and any science field are very tough but very interesting and worthwhile fields.

That said here's what id advise you to do. Look at your budget and see how much money you have realistically. Start applying to schools that are good for medicine since thats where you're leaning. In the mean time, find a cheap community college or state school, where you can do your freshman classes, and the credits will be transferable.

Right off the bat your gonna need the following courses for any school you get into for a science related field

Calculus 1, Calculus 2
Physics 1 and lab
Chemistry 1
Biology 1 (if your doing medicine)
Composition and rhetoric or english 1,
History 1 and 2 usually.

Some states like texas have classes like political science that every student has to take, check out if your state has that rule and knock out those classes early.

Then transfer to a school thats good for you.

As for living at home, thats a MUCH better option financially speaking than living on campus or by yourself. Housing is super SUPER expensive.

Finally, you sound like someone who likes to party, dude dont make my mistake focus and get the best grades you can, thats the most important thing, and stay away from the drugs and too much alcohol even if it means cutting off friends and staying in your room.

Grades are the most important thing in college
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by reggaebassman
*Badass advice*

This, this, and this.

I wish I had started off at a community college. I ended up going to a school 100 miles away. 2 years, and I'm at 10K in debt from loans, mostly due to housing and high tuition. Now I go to UTSA, which is a public university, and my life has been a whole lot easier. Especially if you're getting a full ride, go for number 3. The only thing you have to watch out for, if you do go to a local college, is if whether the credits you earn will transfer to the school that you want to transfer to. With the economy in the shitter right now, it's important to take every opportunity you can.

Of course, in the end, it's your decision. I'm just giving my $0.02
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
Quote by reggaebassman
*advice*

As a student currently on a pre-med track, this post gets a huge +1.

Depending on what you want to do in medicine, I would also suggest going to a community college to get the introductory courses out the way. I suggest this if your primary focus is pharmacy or clinical lab science.
However, I go to a state university and would say it was the better choice [at least, locally]. It really depends on the school.

Word of advice: make good with your finances.
Apply for as many scholarships as possible, talk to financial aid advisors, etc. If you have to go to a smaller, local college, so be it; as long as the credits transfer, you'll have saved yourself a couple thousand dollars.
If you have a full-ride, take advantage of it. Also, consider being a commuter instead of a campus resident; considerably cheaper, but you miss out on the "campus experience," I suppose.

I don't know how it is at other schools, but most pre-meds here are heavy drinkers/partiers and maintain high GPA's every quarter. Feel free to party, but if you plan on going to grad school (especially med school), keep your grades in-check and your record clean.

If you can't get a decent score on the MCAT/GRE the first or second time around and have the GPA and courseload to back it, you're not going anywhere.
I'd say it depends on income and financial shit.

Going to a local school like community college fucking sucks. Especially when all your friends are going to school out of town. But you do save a lot of money on core curriculum when you transfer.
Willing to admit i got distracted by swimming, but I swam too and I don't think people in this thread realize the time commitment that will take. My university team trains 17-19 hours a week in water and i forget what the drylands come out to be. As much as partying will be great, being on a Swim team will keep than in check. Although your hazing could be painful dude, good luck. If your competitive enough that you will be excelling in div1s then go ahead dude with the state school. If your not going to really excel then realize that this isnt your future and concentrate on your academics. I know a few swimmers who choose to do it during university and should really realize that while its great for them to do its really hurting their schooling and are not going anywhere with the times they have right now
Yeah, there's some great advice in this thread. I did say the Private School, but upon further reflection, the local school does seem to be a better idea for now. Start there and then go to a better school after that. It will eliminate a lot of debt once you leave college, especially since you have a lot of school a head of you.

And like metharian said, I'd think hard about continuing with your sport. You are choosing one of the most challenging areas of study. If you're serious about it, that should be your #1 focus. Yeah, you can do stuff for recreation and go to the occasional party, but anything with medicine is very gruelling.
By state I'm guessing ISU? Go there, I have friends there and they love it.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
don't worry too much about friends, one thing ive learned the hard way is that Friends and material things can be an asset or a MAJOR inhibitor, to your success.

Some times you have to get rid of both in order to move forward.

The school name also doesnt matter as much as the GPA, GPA is everything.

4.0 -3.5 doors fly wide open for you,
3.0, opportunities are still there but less,
2.5 you gotta get really skilful at selling yourself and networking to make this work.
2.0 and lower your'e pretty much fked in this country. Only option now is to go into business for yourself cause its next to impossible to get hired. Work in service, retail, etc to pay back the loans. After a couple years you can apply to better jobs and use experience to cover the deficit in grades, networking and also being lucky, can also help.

Don't worry about grad school yet one step at a time. Your planning what to do 200 miles down the road, when you don't even have a plan to make the first mile
Quote by Twist of fate
1. Why the **** is a government run state school so expensive?

2. If you want to be in medicine, go for this option.

3. Eh, cheap, but if you're srs about medicine, go for the prestigious one, it will look better.

EDIT: Option 4. If all else fails, go overseas where education is cheaper, and GPA's don't matter.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by Nimbus456

3. Eh, cheap, but if you're srs about medicine, go for the prestigious one, it will look better.

EDIT: Option 4. If all else fails, go overseas where education is cheaper, and GPA's don't matter.

Option 4 is better after you have a degree. Many foreign countries will just hire you and pay you really well, just for having a degree. Then you can make some money and return and pay for more education and do better
Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by Nimbus456

#1: I'm an Illinois resident going to university of Iowa for engineering. Paying for non-resident at Iowa is CHEAPER than paying resident costs at University of Illinois' college of lib arts and sciences (engineering is even more expensive). Thats just how it works.

TS: when making your decision note that doing athletics will take up A LOT of your time, if you plan to go in to medicine, don't plan on doing anything but swimming and studying (notice how I didn't mention sleep). As an engineer who plays for the school ultimate team which practices maybe 4-6 hours per week, I never get a free moment, always busy.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Man, U of C is a great and highly regarded university. It may be private but I'm sure they have great equipment even compared to a State College.

A 80k loan is huge, but the moment you set foot inside you'll know what you're paying for, and you'll make it back quickly once you get your degree. I'd go for the private university, and either find a side job or try to get a scholarship if eligible. Always aim for the best, man, otherwise you'll regret it. Remorses are better than regrets.

Edit: I'm currently at NC State University, can't say it's bad either. State College is also a decent option.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Last edited by Astyan at Apr 27, 2011,